TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
May 7, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #2,251 of 3,865
I use TRI I3 w/BTR5 balanced and am very pleased with the results!
I am with you on that, I use the BTR5 more than any other DAC/Amp I have, it powers my earphones and (sometimes) headphones for probably 80% of my listening time.

In balanced mode it is as good as any for my needs and more practical than most DAPs and DAC/Amps. You simply cannot lug around most of the alternatives with as much ease, so they are impractical in most instances and you do not need to have more power than the BTR5, balanced, to enjoy your music, especially for IEMs.

May 7, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #2,252 of 3,865
I agree that the purchase experience is an important part of the total experience.
If you had a bad experience before you even heard an IEM, it may affect how you will feel about it later.

I purchased Starlight instead of a cheaper (supposedly identical) alternative, in part because the cheaper one was sold by a banned seller, and I couldn't recommend it on Head-Fi.
Now, even if Starlight turns out to be the best IEM in the world, and will send UM MEST JP to a storage, I'm not sure I will feel comfortable recommending it - don't want others to go have a negative experience too.

Yes, I've chatted numerous times with the store representative on AE.
Starlight is supposed to arrive in a couple of days - 6 weeks and 4 DHL tracking numbers after placing the order...

Friend, may I know which store did you buy the Starlight?

May 9, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #2,255 of 3,865
Hello guys!
I'm new here. I just wanted to say that this thread made me to buy the tri i3 so thanks everyone for the detailed opinions☺️ Almost all the reviewers are saying that it needs powerful amp. I have only an usb dac amp called ibasso dc03 (80mW) so my question is, is it good enough for tri i3 or do I need to upgrade for something with more output power?
I have the Tri i3 and I drive it with my FiiO Q5 DAC/AMP (which is a professional device) between 50-60% volume, using the 2.5mm balanced output.
The output power of the Q5 from the 2.5mm Balanced output at 16 Ohm is 470mW

The “problematic” driver of the Tri i3 is the planar driver. If you have not enough power or you listen to the music in low volume the planar driver can’t work properly and the sound will be smooth or muddy.

So I think you need minimum the double power of your ibasso dc03

In my opinion the best ibasso dc03 alternatives are Shanling UA2 or FiiO BTR5 or FiiO Q1 Mk II (both three has 2.5mm and 3.5mm outputs). The FiiO Q1 Mk II has volume control.

The specs:

Shanling UA2: 195mW / 32 Ohm - $85
FiiO BTR5: 220mW / 32 Ohm (from the 2.5mm Balanced output) - $116
FiiO Q1 Mk II: 240mW / 16 Ohm (from the 2.5mm Balanced output) - $103

I have the Q1 Mk II too and I can drive the Tri i3 properly (the DAP is FiiO M6)

If you want to chat with me in Hungarian pls. send me a PM. :wink:

May 9, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #2,256 of 3,865
Finally...
1620591869112.png

May 10, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #2,261 of 3,865
Anyone received the TRI Starshine?
Looking forward to some feedback!! :wink:

I am expecting to receive them today!

FedEx has decided not show the delivery time, as they did not deliver at the time initially stated.

I am looking forward to hearing them and initial feedback will follow.......soon after I receive them.

In the meantime, here is a scenery similar to the colour scheme of the Starshines.

Screenshot_20210508-094806_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #2,263 of 3,865
So how does it compare to MEST JP?
+1. As MEST MKII owner, I’m interested. Debating myself if want try on Starlight even with Thieaudio Monarch on hand. But Starsea’s delighted tuning is whispering me something that TRI engineer got a talent in tuning...maybe even better than the one for Monarch/MEST.

May 10, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,265 of 3,865
All I can say is to quote @AmericanSpirit:

"TRI engineer got a talent in tuning."!

These require lots of power and they make good use of the power they demand.

These are seriously energetic when required. The sound hits you like you just walked into a concert or concerto. Then, on the very next track, in the true meaning of piano forte, they are so dynamically competent that they do soft and tender beautifully, just gently caress your ears.

There is a reason why the frequency graph for the Starshines is so flat....nothing is held back.

What missing bass? Missing dynamic driver, fine, that is shrugged off by the Starshines and they make the most out of the Knowles bass driver.....in fact they make the most of every driver. The bass is Deep and viseral when called on deliver low end joy! The bass quality is exceptional and if I may borrow the marketing blurb.....exquisite!

As you would expect, the Sonion electrostatic drivers are not shy and they handle the highs with no evidence of strain...just beautifully.

I am not sure how long your battery will last on your DAC/Amp or DAP, but I assure you that you will have fun in that time!

I was thinking, maybe I ought to let them burn-in for a while maybe overnight, but I think not....these drivers will have to settle in my ears (if they need to settle at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back