TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #1,996 of 3,865
@WendyLi, Can I request same size packs of KBEAR Believe tips, please.

-1929807802425285340.jpg

The packs available have Small, Medium and Large sizes in the same pack. I am sure you would have buyers for single size packs, as I believe @IEMusic previously mentioned.

Very good tips to tame excessive bass.

Hi Chris, need to check first.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,002 of 3,865
Mar 4, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2,003 of 3,865
They may be the next best thing since sliced bread, but they cost way more than I'm willing to spend on AE on a single purchase. :frowning2:
I totally understand your point, and would not ask anyone to exceed their budget, but it is worth knowing that they are worth getting if and when the opportunity arises. A sale might bring them within the spending range you have set for yourself. You never know someone might even sell them used and if well taken care of by the seller, get them, they are worth it!

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #2,004 of 3,865
Zeos has his say on the TRI Starlights. The Starlights are indeed god-tier IEMs but you may want to hear it from Zeos!

Here is my review - link:https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tri-starlight.24572/reviews#review-24231

He referenced my simple Starlight review on Hifigo lol

Even though I got the Starlight in the 11.11 sale, I still think this IEM punches above its price point at MSRP. I’m talking $1 to $2k price range and maybe even some IEMs beyond that price range. Again, that’s my opinion only, these are hard to drive so people really need to try these with high powered source to reach its full potential!

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #2,005 of 3,865
How hard to drive is a hard-to-drive iem, really? Because that's been putting me off some models (Believe, i3, among others)..

Would the Shanling UP4 or BTR3K enough to drive them? What about the DC03 or Sonata HD Pro?

(By enough I mean such that lack of power is not detrimental to sound quality, not simply that they are "loud enough.")

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #2,006 of 3,865
How hard to drive is a hard-to-drive iem, really? Because that's been putting me off some models (Believe, i3, among others)..

Would the Shanling UP4 or BTR3K enough to drive them? What about the DC03 or Sonata HD Pro?

(By enough I mean such that lack of power is not detrimental to sound quality, not simply that they are "loud enough.")

KBEAR Believe and TRI I3 are hard to drive for an IEM (compared to other IEMs), but they ain't the most power hungry. I would say the Final Audio E5000 hands down for me is one of the hardest IEMs to drive. Tin P1 is probably hard to drive too as it is a pure planar (based on reviews as I've not heard it myself).

For Sonata HD Pro, if u trick it using a 3.5 mm female to male adapter (so that is goes to highest output), it can just barely drive the TRI I3 satisfactorily. But it would still sound better with something with more power. Forget about driving the KBEAR BElieve with the Sonata HD Pro, most dongles can't drive it, maybe with the exception of some outlier dongles like the 9038S.

Amping as you pointed out, is not a matter of just loud enough, as one can easily just connect a planar type IEM/headphone to a smartphone and just jack up the volume to blast the volume. But more that one loses dynamics, perhaps soundstage/microdetails without proper amping for said power hungry gear. Sometimes the frequency response is also skewed without adequate power, for example and IEM may have very muddy bass or too shouty upper mids when inadequately powered.

There's an alternative school of thought that IEMs should be portable (compared to headphones), so they feel it defeats the purpose of bringing a big amp stack or using it at home with a desktop amp. Those should be reserved for headphones? Fair enough, then best to look elsewhere for less power hungry IEMs, of which they are the majority, compared to power hungry IEMs.

But then again, getting an amp/good DAP is probably a one time investment (for the next few months at least) as we progress further down this rabbithole hobby. Sources may end up being the limiting factor in the audio chain sooner or later, and I feel spending on a good source is more worthwhile then spending tons on cables for sure. Getting a good amp/DAP will also be future proofing as we can unlock other gear that have high requirements. I mean if it were a sub $20 set like the recent BLON BL-01 (which is aiming for a different market segment) and someone told me I need an amp to unlock the BL-01’s potential, I would ask them to fly a kite. But a lot of other IEMs such as the HZSound Heart Mirror, Final E series (Final E3000, Final E5000) and even the more expensive full beryllium Final A8000 are not the easiest to drive, and need amping to scale to their optimal sound to get audio nirvana.

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,007 of 3,865
I use a Fiio BTR5 or old ibasso Bushmaster if needed, high gain on my DX160 and DX200 also add enough. Its not as much as you may think, the extra gain just opens up the drivers better and with more consistency, you feel the power is being applied.
Probably not a great description as I’m still waking up. Someone else will most likely add another.

Anybody have EJ07, 09 and Starlight in house. Is the Starlight tuned that much better as the video above suggests.
I’m gonna get a $1400 Mest or Mini Mest and Starlight, or another selected bunch of stuff with any new stimulus checks we get.
Khadas Tone Board 2 and a totl iem if I can swing it. I’ve been squirreling away cash to add and would love to get a near end game iem, I know I’ll keep trying new stuff so I’m not gonna kid myself!

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #2,008 of 3,865
But then again, getting an amp/good DAP is probably a one time investment (for the next few months at least) as we progress further down this rabbithole hobby. Sources may end up being the limiting factor in the audio chain sooner or later, and I feel spending on a good source is more worthwhile then spending tons on cables for sure. Getting a good amp/DAP will also be future proofing as we can unlock other gear that have high requirements. I mean if it were a sub $20 set like the recent BLON BL-01 (which is aiming for a different market segment) and someone told me I need an amp to unlock the BL-01’s potential, I would ask them to fly a kite. But a lot of other IEMs such as the HZSound Heart Mirror, Final E series (Final E3000, Final E5000) and even the more expensive full beryllium Final A8000 are not the easiest to drive, and need amping to scale to their optimal sound to get audio nirvana.
definitely agree, I used the Fiio M11 for a year before I returned it for the ibasso DX160 which I have already used for 8 months now.
During that almost 2 year span, I have gotten a ton of iems, earbuds and headphones.

I use a Fiio BTR5 or old ibasso Bushmaster if needed, high gain on my DX160 and DX200 also add enough. Its not as much as you may think, the extra gain just opens up the drivers better and with more consistency, you feel the power is being applied.
Probably not a great description as I’m still waking up. Someone else will most likely add another.

Anybody have EJ07, 09 and Starlight in house. Is the Starlight tuned that much better as the video above suggests.
I’m gonna get a $1400 Mest or Mini Mest and Starlight, or another selected bunch of stuff with any new stimulus checks we get.
Khadas Tone Board 2 and a totl iem if I can swing it. I’ve been squirreling away cash to add and would love to get a near end game iem, I know I’ll keep trying new stuff so I’m not gonna kid myself!
https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/bad-guy-good-audio-rankings-and-stuff-under-construction/16287/762

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #2,010 of 3,865
I think my i3 (mmcx) is cursed. Lol

The right channel of original cable after a month getting quieter. Replace it with my diy tin t2 cable, few days and same thing happened. Bought new cable, again, same thing happened. Send it to seller to check if there's something wrong with my i3. They said it's the cable. Bought new one, it's start to get same issue. Now I'm afraid to used it.

Seriously, if the left one also have the same problem fir once, i would think it's because I didn't take care of it. But no, it's always the right one. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back