TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Sep 24, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #751 of 3,865
anybody tried dual flange eartips on their i3? I believe soundstage would take a hit, but would improve bass response due to added isolation.
You need MOAR bass!?

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #753 of 3,865
i3 is already have very big bass with +15db from 1khz

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #754 of 3,865
Does the Tri Starlight have the same tuning as the Shuoer EJ07 or is there a slight difference? The Starlight use Sonion mid-drivers instead Knowles and the estats are a newer model. Does anyone have these two to make a comparison? That would be nice.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #755 of 3,865
Does the Tri Starlight have the same tuning as the Shuoer EJ07 or is there a slight difference? The Starlight use Sonion mid-drivers instead Knowles and the estats are a newer model. Does anyone have these two to make a comparison? That would be nice.

I have the Starlights but not the EJ07, I have never tried the EJ07 so I cannot say. Although I think at $650 the Starlights are exceptionally good and in my view very good value compared to the Empire Ears (EE) Odin, EE Hero, Unique Melody MEST given the driver combinations set against the prices. All descriptions I have heard and read of those TOTL IEMs give me the impression they were listening to the Starlights.

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #756 of 3,865
I really wish the Postmaster General would stop messing with the U.S. postal system. So that I can get my KBear 5N cable, in case I want to buy more, during this month's "sale".
1600732318588.png
A day late (for the sale), my 4 core 5N just arrived. The label says 16 core, but it is a braid of 4, to 2 at the split.
Now that there's no rush for the comparison (thanks Postmaster General), I'll take my time, over a cup (or three) of coffee, tomorrow morning.

KBear 5n cable.jpg

Sep 27, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #758 of 3,865
Sep 28, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #763 of 3,865
Disclaimer:
@baskingshark has a thread on do you listen for your equipment's abilities or your playlist ? link
Doing this cable comparison only validates my belief that I'm more into the music. As such, I'm not going to be the best at parsing micro details.

Nicehck C16-3 vs KBear 4 core 5N UPOCC blah, blah, blah
KBEAR 5N vs Nicehck C16-3.jpg

Microphonics on the KBear, at quiet moments in songs, due to outer fabric. Also found the KBear to be a heavier cable
KBear 5N closeup.jpg

Two biggest takeaways, on the KBear:
Incremental increase to the soundstage width & warmer (but not thick/muddy), more akin to what a tube amp can bring to the overall frequency response.

Was the difference night and day? No
Was it worth the effort, to try an "upgrade" cable ? Yes
For my tastes, I'll be keeping the KBear 5N married to my Tri i3

Sounstage: increased width
Sub bass: the floor is a touch lower on the KBear, on certain songs
Bass: Both cables represent well.
Mid bass: goes hand in hand with the improved male timbre. No discernable bleed over.
*(for the remaining frequencies, I purposely chose songs that are more vocal centric. As the low end was handicapping my limited abilities)
Male timbre: slight improvement
Upper mids to higher frequencies: For those, like me, that are sensitive to "bright" IEMs. Better detail, but not fatiguing.
Details: I'm definitely picking up background notes (on the KBear); where there is only a wisp of a note. But unlike the Fiio EA3, the background notes are in their correct proportion, to the foreground.

Songs:
"When I get my hands on you", The New Basement Tapes. sidenote: I never really paid attention to the lyrics before. Is this song an homage to domestic violence ?
"Hotel California", Eagles
"Empire State of mind (part II)", Alicia Keys
*"Ain't No Sunshine", Bill Withers
*"Yesterday", Beatles (Remastered)

Hardware:
Samsung Note 20 ("cheap" version) --> Spotify Premium --> LDAC --> Qudelix-5K

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #764 of 3,865
Sep 29, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #765 of 3,865
1601373200272.png

Interesting, a mixture of a TRI BA....? A Knowles and a Composite Silicon Crystal Biological Diaphragm plus four switchable tuning modes. Anybody got a review model yet? Looks like the highs and treble may be interesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back