TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Sep 16, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #646 of 3,865
OK one vendor had these in stock in the US for inflated prices on Amazon. But there is a return option so I guess I am paying for convenience, timeliness, and ability to return. So these should be on hand Saturday. Fortunately, my primary DAP is oozing power (HiBy R5) so I am good there.

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #647 of 3,865
OK one vendor had these in stock in the US for inflated prices on Amazon. But there is a return option so I guess I am paying for convenience, timeliness, and ability to return. So these should be on hand Saturday. Fortunately, my primary DAP is oozing power (HiBy R5) so I am good there.
HiBy R5 and TRi i3 are peaches and cream. The stock 3.5mm cable is very good, but sooner or later you'll probably migrate to the 4.4mm. Purely IMHO they improve over a longish break in. Enjoy.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #648 of 3,865
It’s hifi audio gear made by Chinese companies. KZ, Hifiman, Fiio, Linsoul brands, NiceHCK, Tri, KB Ear, whoever.

It doesn’t matter what country it’s sold, or the price level.

JVC and Pioneer are JapanFi, even if a particular headphone is made in a Chinese factory, because the company itself is Japanese and was designed in Japan.
While I agree with the blanket definition of Chi-Fi encompassing all Chinese companies, as @Sebasistan stated, a lot of us need to unlearn the connotation that “Chi-Fi” is synonymous with “Budget-Fi“, with bang-for-your-buck products only, not TOTL contenders.

QDC = TOTL chifi
I agree.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #649 of 3,865
While I agree with the blanket definition of Chi-Fi encompassing all Chinese companies, as @Sebasistan stated, a lot of us need to unlearn the connotation that “Chi-Fi” is synonymous with “Budget-Fi“, with bang-for-your-buck products only, not TOTL contenders.

I agree.

Seeing that we are on this thread I think the TRi i3 proves your point. These are built to a really high standard and have a good cable. To feel them, use them, the word ChiFi can almost be derogatory. I used to import from Japan many moons ago and Japanese imports were considered rubbish. Then over the years they became synonymous with quality. Same with Taiwan. The quality of the TRi i3 now puts some 'Western' HiFi to shame.

Things change.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #650 of 3,865

I agree.
Seeing that we are on this thread I think the TRi i3 proves your point. These are built to a really high standard and have a good cable. To feel them, use them, the word ChiFi can almost be derogatory. I used to import from Japan many moons ago Japanese imports were considered rubbish. Then over the years they became synonymous with quality. Same with Taiwan. The quality of the TRi i3 puts some 'Western' HiFi to shame.

Things change.

Well, I can’t speak for others, but personally I don’t equate the term to cheap or not, poor or good QC, budget or TOTL.

To me it’s simply just a term that is descriptive of their country of origin.

Like Cuban cigars, Belgian chocolate, French Cognac, or Italian sports cars.

I mean, there is good Belgian chocolate and bad Belgian chocolate, good Cuban cigars and crap Cuban cigars. But a Cuban cigar is still a Cuban cigar, and Belgian chocolate is still Belgian chocolate.

It’s not derogatory or offensive by any means, just simply descriptive of the origin. At least that’s how I view it.

I mean, I think it’s comical that Hifiman insists that they’re not ChiFi, when they are THE definition of ChiFi.

But I do agree, SOME people attach a negative image to the term ChiFi, just like there are racists, sexists, ageists, etc in the world. That still doesn’t change the fact that ChiFi describes audio gear made by Chinese companies. Those people just have to learn to separate the external facts from their internal feelings I guess.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #651 of 3,865
HiBy R5 and TRi i3 are peaches and cream. The stock 3.5mm cable is very good, but sooner or later you'll probably migrate to the 4.4mm. Purely IMHO they improve over a longish break in. Enjoy.
I did order a MMCX 4.4 cable at the same time.. .Great minds think alike (well yours is most likely great. Mine is Abbey Normal's).

Sep 17, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #652 of 3,865
I can confirm the Tri i3 and Hiby R5's synergy is perfect on 4.4mm balanced.
I have also the fiio M11 dap and prefer the i3 on the R5.
R5 has a lot more driving power on balanced and the i3 really shines to my ears.
- That bass slam and authority sounded really good (not basshead level). Well controlled and tight.
- The mids benefited the most IMO as it sounded really crisp and detailed (I guess planar has been powered enough by the driving power of the Hiby R5 on balanced).
- Highs are pleasant and sufficient but I wish more extension but it's just me that prefers more sparkle and detailed sound.(though I have the isn h40 to get those sound)

This pairing is a complete satisfaction indeed 😀

Attachments

• 20200917_122644.jpg
    20200917_122644.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #653 of 3,865
I can confirm the Tri i3 and Hiby R5's synergy is perfect on 4.4mm balanced.
I have also the fiio M11 dap and prefer the i3 on the R5.
R5 has a lot more driving power on balanced and the i3 really shines to my ears.
- That bass slam and authority sounded really good (not basshead level). Well controlled and tight.
- The mids benefited the most IMO as it sounded really crisp and detailed (I guess planar has been powered enough by the driving power of the Hiby R5 on balanced).
- Highs are pleasant and sufficient but I wish more extension but it's just me that prefers more sparkle and detailed sound.(though I have the isn h40 to get those sound)

This pairing is a complete satisfaction indeed 😀

Yep I agree. The highs need a better BA. Nothing wrong with whatever BA they have used (anyone know what BA), but their is room for some more 'sparkle'. Of course this takes us to the TRi i3 MK 2, what is needed.......Beryllium DD, Planar, Sonion or Knowles BA. This formula really works so any improvement on it will create an amazing IEM. Keep the same quality of build, an affordable price hike.....and a winner will be born.

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #654 of 3,865
Yep I agree. The highs need a better BA. Nothing wrong with whatever BA they have used (anyone know what BA), but their is room for some more 'sparkle'. Of course this takes us to the TRi i3 MK 2, what is needed.......Beryllium DD, Planar, Sonion or Knowles BA. This formula really works so any improvement on it will create an amazing IEM. Keep the same quality of build, an affordable price hike.....and a winner will be born.
Make it smaller and I join lol. That potato size is too big for me. :joy:

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #655 of 3,865
@WendyLi, thank you for your response on the Lark.

We are now making a specific request for a specific model which we all want from TRI. As above 3 driver unit, made up of a Beryllium Dynamic Driver, a Planar magnetic driver and EST drivers.

The community has made this request to let you know that if well tuned (as with all TRI models so far) and reasonably well fitting and reasonably priced, you have willing buyers here.

We would be grateful if you could pass on our message to the decision makers at TRI/KBEAR.

Thank you and we look forward to your response.

Hi friend, thanks very much for your request! I have already posted this request to our boss. :blush:

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #656 of 3,865
Hi friend, thanks very much for your request! I have already posted this request to our boss. :blush:
If having a EST makes it too expensive, you can try make a cheaper version with piezo instead.

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #657 of 3,865
It should be possible to downsize. It would mean a redesign but I think they have a great formula. I really like how they have created a beautiful shell. They are BIG....but the sound of mine has opened up to make them my favorite sounding IEM. They do sit deep though. Having a potato sticking out of my ear though is strange.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #658 of 3,865
Just to add my two cents on the piezo versus est debate, I'm anti piezo. Sonion BA would be preferable, est best. Piezos are generally too shrill and I own plenty. Hard to find a good balance with them..... The planar already requires a bit of power, so 2 sonion ESTs should do the trick. Probably add about $100 to the price though....

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #659 of 3,865
Just to add my two cents on the piezo versus est debate, I'm anti piezo. Sonion BA would be preferable, est best. Piezos are generally too shrill and I own plenty. Hard to find a good balance with them..... The planar already requires a bit of power, so 2 sonion ESTs should do the trick. Probably add about $100 to the price though....

I must say I do like EST and I think the Sonion quality is superb. As I am not treble sensitive, or the tuning is right on the Piezo I have [sorry: IMR R2 RED - excellent quality Aten bass and really well implemented piezo treble]. Maybe it will be less shrill for you, if the tuning is right.

Let's hope they come up with a formula and of course, they can always come back to us to seek our opinions.

Ultimately, as enough members here are interested in the 3 points of our request, namely, good fit, reasonably priced and well tuned, they have ready customers, if they get it right. I am sure they will try to get their dedicated customers something worthwhile, we hope.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #660 of 3,865
It should be possible to downsize. It would mean a redesign but I think they have a great formula. I really like how they have created a beautiful shell. They are BIG....but the sound of mine has opened up to make them my favorite sounding IEM. They do sit deep though. Having a potato sticking out of my ear though is strange.

Actually i think the superb soundstage of the TRI I3 is partially explained by the huge shells. Not sure if they can maintain or improve on the soundstage with a smaller shell, it will probably affect tuning with a smaller shell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back