TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jan 30, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #122 of 3,865
Thanks! It's a good start. Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions.

I'm pretty amateur as well.

Hows the mids and treble on the ej07 vs k3003 and i3?
A few more thoughts after spending some time comparing I3/K3003i/EJ07 more thoroughly, taking notes and listening to different types of music:

Where the TRI I3 shines is vocals, separation and what I would call "musicality". The whole ensemble is coherent and very nice to listen to. There's never any harshness.

Where the TRI I3 lacks for me is mid bass, when compared to the 3003 and EJ07, the quantity, control and speed lack a bit there. There's plenty of sub bass and it rumbles deep though.

Treble is good on the I3 and there is air but again, not as much as the other two.

It would obviously not be fair to expect the I3 to beat two TOTL iems that are 7x the price! The fact that it holds up so well to these is already quite exceptional.

BGGAR said he was going to review these soon. Let's see what he thinks of them :)

I would do a comparison with the BLON03 but I just can't stand the treble on the BLONs, they make my ears bleed and I can't be bothered/don't have time to fiddle with eq etc.

Hope this helps!

Jan 30, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #123 of 3,865
A few more thoughts after spending some time comparing I3/K3003i/EJ07 more thoroughly, taking notes and listening to different types of music:

Where the TRI I3 shines is vocals, separation and what I would call "musicality". The whole ensemble is coherent and very nice to listen to. There's never any harshness.

Where the TRI I3 lacks for me is mid bass, when compared to the 3003 and EJ07, the quantity, control and speed lack a bit there. There's plenty of sub bass and it rumbles deep though.

Treble is good on the I3 and there is air but again, not as much as the other two.

It would obviously not be fair to expect the I3 to beat two TOTL iems that are 7x the price! The fact that it holds up so well to these is already quite exceptional.

BGGAR said he was going to review these soon. Let's see what he thinks of them :)

I would do a comparison with the BLON03 but I just can't stand the treble on the BLONs, they make my ears bleed and I can't be bothered/don't have time to fiddle with eq etc.

Hope this helps!

This helps alot. kind of want the I3 now. how about between the EJ07 and K3003.. which is better?

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #124 of 3,865
This helps alot. kind of want the I3 now. how about between the EJ07 and K3003.. which is better?

I would say the EJ07 but it's subjective. This thing is amazing and handles any type of music with ease. The K3003 is more "neutral" and it also never steps wrong. I just feel the EJ07 is more fun and engaging to listen to. Knowing that the K3003 is only 1DD is kind of mind-blowing.

I think that AKG has a sale at the moment and the K3003 was listed at $299 for American customers. If that deal is still there, it's a steal.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #125 of 3,865
I would say the EJ07 but it's subjective. This thing is amazing and handles any type of music with ease. The K3003 is more "neutral" and it also never steps wrong. I just feel the EJ07 is more fun and engaging to listen to. Knowing that the K3003 is only 1DD is kind of mind-blowing.

I think that AKG has a sale at the moment and the K3003 was listed at $299 for American customers. If that deal is still there, it's a steal.

Thanks for the good comparison. K3003 is actually the first hybrid that came to market with 2 ba and 1 dd. But I'm always curious about electrostatic ...and i3 seems to sound like what I would like without breaking the bank.

Feb 1, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #126 of 3,865
Thanks for the good comparison. K3003 is actually the first hybrid that came to market with 2 ba and 1 dd. But I'm always curious about electrostatic ...and i3 seems to sound like what I would like without breaking the bank.
Thanks for correcting! Not sure why I was thinking it was only 1DD, maybe cause the housing is quite small :)

The I3 is nice. BGGAR said he'd review soon, it will give you another (more informed) input.

I3 doesn't have EST driver, it's DD+ planar + BA

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #127 of 3,865
Thanks for correcting! Not sure why I was thinking it was only 1DD, maybe cause the housing is quite small :)

The I3 is nice. BGGAR said he'd review soon, it will give you another (more informed) input.

I3 doesn't have EST driver, it's DD+ planar + Piezo electric.
Actually the I3 is DD+planar+ba. The IMR Rah is DD+planar+piezo.

It'll be interesting to hear a DD+planar+EST when those start arriving on the scene....

I've not tried the new sonion type EST drivers yet.... I hope I like them better than the magnetostatic/electret type drivers in the shuoer tape and similar sets.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #128 of 3,865
Actually the I3 is DD+planar+ba. The IMR Rah is DD+planar+piezo.

It'll be interesting to hear a DD+planar+EST when those start arriving on the scene....

I've not tried the new sonion type EST drivers yet.... I hope I like them better than the magnetostatic/electret type drivers in the shuoer tape and similar sets.
You're correct! Updated my post :)
The electrostatic tweeters in the ST7/EJ07 are the Sonions. They were very successfully implemented in those, treble and separation are amazing.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #131 of 3,865
Sounds great and addicting with Good replacement cable and a bit of mod on the tips.

received_224871211872104.jpeg

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #135 of 3,865
here is a comparison with Shoure Tape and Tin P1 and in terms of sound i prefer them now compared with the others.. i use that super thick silver plated Electro Acousti cable wich works amazing with it..
Thats why i call them earpotatoes :wink:

37718072uu.jpg

@Krassi - Do you prefer these to the P1 even after eq'ing with the PDV2? Also, do these sound good from the 9038s? I am thinking of picking up a pair. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back