TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
May 28, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,402 of 3,865
I didn't fall in love with my starsea (yet), i don't know if its because of the source, the tips.. even with classical music i been enjoying more listen on tanya or cca csn that on starsea...
Keep trying to get the sound just right for you....tuning switches and tips, it will eventually come to you.

Sometimes listening to a track you have heard several times will suddenly make you recognise the unique attributes of a particular set of IEMs.

May 28, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #2,403 of 3,865
I didn't fall in love with my starsea (yet), i don't know if its because of the source, the tips.. even with classical music i been enjoying more listen on tanya or cca csn that on starsea...
Starsea is upper range pinna gain compensator type, and from your comment I can see your tonality preference is 3khz gain spot hitter type. More engaged upper mid presentation rather than laid-back tuning. One thing I can recommend for Starsea is that try lower your DAP to low gain mode, then try use SpinFit CP100 on Starsea, then you may experience something extraordinary, an euphoric feeling. For me without that, Starsea is just “ah well tuned thing but nothing ‘special’/‘stands out’, and rather boring” sound.

And for your personal preference, I see Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk(and upcoming Blessing-EST), Thieaudio Oracle/Excalibur would fit your needs.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #2,404 of 3,865
The Starsea is a wonderful IEM for classical music. Here is a hidden gem which I have been listening to, a really beautiful piece. The woodwind is exquisite.

Wow BBC phil does great job. Indeed Starsea matches with classical music very nicely, mainly due to inoffensive 6khz dip and wide sound stage, with sophisticatedly tuned detail retrieving capability👍 the clarinet/flute chamber presentation from starsea is very top notch.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,405 of 3,865
Speaking of broadcasting station’s orchestra, Japanese NHK phil is very skilled one too: Studio Ghibli’s movie themes by Joe hisaishi and NHK phil

May 28, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #2,406 of 3,865
graph (3).png

graph (2).png

May 29, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #2,408 of 3,865
I ended up needing to turn on the bass boost switch and use some knockoff Ikko foam tips to tame the treble. It wasn't even that the treble was painful to listen to or anything, but that the treble presentation is very forward in default with stock silicones, stock foams, or spinfits. The spinfits and stock foams do help with the bass response some, but the knockoff Ikko foams do an absolutely fantastic job of knocking the treble down enough that I can crank them up enough to get some serious bass and midrange response. But, YMMV. It really depends a lot on what kind of sound signature you're aiming for. If you want a very mid-forward signature, it's going to be a little challenging to achieve with the Starseas. You should also try running them off a source that can provide a decent amount of power, especially if you're using a separate audio source and amp, so you can lower the output from the source and crank up the amp. It really adds richness into the mids and bass and makes the treble sparkle. Even so, to each their own. Starseas may just not be the IEM for you. Keep trying and if nothing works, see if you can return them or sell them on.

May 31, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #2,411 of 3,865
What you don't like about the Starlight bass?
I would have liked more extension, more texture, and a little higher amount. It was good/OK, but I want a lot more than that for the price.

May 31, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #2,413 of 3,865
maybe your dac/amp? because some reports say quite the opposite
Hm, dunno. I tested it with a Mojo, which gives tons of bass for all my bassy IEMs like FH3, FD5, ZAX, YBF.

Jun 1, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #2,415 of 3,865
A nice review on the Starsea

Interesting that AmericanSprit loved it for classical music but Gizaudio did not. Just goes to show, you have to listen and make your own assessment. It is such a subjective hobby!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back