TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jan 28, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #1,892 of 3,865
Check out Tennmak Whirlwind tips.

Jan 29, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #1,894 of 3,865
I have some fit and seal problem with my tri i3, it has too long nozzle. Can you recommend eartips ? I have all the sednas and spinfits 🤔
After multiple tip rolls I settled on Final Type E for TRI I3. of course everyone's ear canals differ so YMMV.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,895 of 3,865
Jan 30, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,897 of 3,865
As I see, I'm second person with driver flex issue in Starsea. I have started dispute with seller.. This is annoying and I hate foams..

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #1,898 of 3,865
As I see, I'm second person with driver flex issue in Starsea. I have started dispute with seller.. This is annoying and I hate foams..
Driver flex isnt an issue with the iem. It can happen depending on different peoples ear anatomy.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #1,899 of 3,865
This really isn't valid reason for starting a dispute. The seller isn't at fault here in any way.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,900 of 3,865

I think your dispute will be rejected

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,901 of 3,865

Gotta agree with the rest there, driver flex is not a QC problem, I don't think the seller will accept the dispute, but well worth a try I suppose.

Driver flex is usually due to a too tight seal, and is partially related to the tips we use and/or our ear anatomy, maybe sometimes it occurs in certain IEM shell designs with insufficient venting. I don't get driver flex with the Starsea, but I found a few ways to mitigate driver flex in other IEMs, YMMV:

1) Use foam tips instead of silicone tips, works sometimes for me. Probably cause the foam is porous and lets air escape thru the foams rather than going into the IEM shell. Foams may not be for everyone as it dulls the treble and may be less durable than silicone tips, so YMMV.

2) Sometimes using another silicone tip that has lesser isolation/seal may reduce driver flex, though at the expense of isolation. Try a variety of different ear tips and sizes if you can, some tips give more driver flex than others.

3) Try opening your mouth and pulling up the earlobe before inserting the IEM, this opens the ear canal a bit for more space to insert the eartip, and hopefully some air can escape during insertion with the bigger diameter of the ear canal. This technique has eliminated driver flex in almost 90% of IEMs for me.

4) Insert the ear tip slowly or not too deeply initially, and slowly make fine adjustments to push it in. Or insert it at an angle instead of parallel to the ear canal, so that air can escape at the sides.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #1,902 of 3,865
And this is not problem of construction? I think dd is vented in bad way. I have good seal as it should be in normal usage of in ear earphones. Earphone in my opinion should have proper venting with sealed apply. I'm wrong?
Now I have cracking sound or feeling of falling from ears..

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,903 of 3,865
And this is not problem of construction? I think dd is vented in bad way. I have good seal as it should be in normal usage of in ear earphones. Earphone in my opinion should have proper venting with sealed apply. I'm wrong?
Now I have cracking sound or feeling of falling from ears..

It might be the ear anatomy occluding the DD vent in some people? FWIW the TRI Starsea hasn't had many complaints about driver flex in reviews and audio forums. In comparison, there are some IEMs that are infamous for driver flex eg iBasso IT00, Oriveti New Primacy, where majority of users do experience driver flex with them, so I do suspect those 2 IEMs indeed may have a design flaw?

Well you can try some of the simple tips above (no pun intended) like swapping for other silicone tips and see if it helps in the driver flex. I do sincerely wish you good luck with your dispute and that you get some amicable settlement. Though, if you bought it from Aliexpress, from my past experience, the seller will ask for some video or photo evidence, and that's gonna be tough to show them u get driver flex!

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,904 of 3,865
It might be the ear anatomy occluding the DD vent in some people? FWIW the TRI Starsea hasn't had many complaints about driver flex in reviews and audio forums. In comparison, there are some IEMs that are infamous for driver flex eg iBasso IT00, Oriveti New Primacy, where majority of users do experience driver flex with them, so I do suspect those 2 IEMs indeed may have a design flaw?

Well you can try some of the simple tips above (no pun intended) like swapping for other silicone tips and see if it helps in the driver flex. I do sincerely wish you good luck with your dispute and that you get some amicable settlement. Though, if you bought it from Aliexpress, from my past experience, the seller will ask for some video or photo evidence, and that's gonna be tough to show them u get driver flex!
To be 100% sure I need to know how the venting is build in this model.
And how it should be build. Maybe someone could explain and help with technical knowledge.

In video I showed that mesh and shell vent is clear and this is not a reason of df. Will see.
It's also possible at this early moment of selling new model that problem with df. gonna expanding..

Edit: I have a lot of silicone tips and all of them gives same effect.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #1,905 of 3,865
After multiple tip rolls I settled on Final Type E for TRI I3. of course everyone's ear canals differ so YMMV.
Try smaller tips or ones with a flatter profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back