TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #361 of 3,865
Yeah, these are very good. Nothing new to add. The only thing I would wish for would be a slight reduction in bass quantity, then they would be perfect. No mod for me, thanks.

Using wider bore silicone tips can help lower the bass amount. I'm a basshead and I find this set is acceptable in bass amounts, but maybe just a tinge light in the subbass extension. YMMV as some prefer more/less bass in the music.

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #362 of 3,865
Im tempted to sell my full size cans, as these sound as DT770 + HE400 without any drawbacks. Zero complaints, I can tell now which tracks are well mastered and which are medium/poor... also in EDM bass is perfect.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #364 of 3,865
Indeed TRI i3 is really nicely tuned IEM. I have been listening and comparing it to the H40 last few hours and they are equally enjoyable and very similar in technicalities, but overall, I think I prefer the i3 over h40 with its more natural timbre and supremely enjoyable mid range. Also I3 has less mid bass and more emphasis on sub bass region which is my preferred bass presentation for most of the music I listen to. As well, I find zero harshness in upper mids to treble region with right amount of sparkle near the top to balance everything out. ISN H40 is definitely easier to drive with more impactful bass and sits more flushed in my ears, but damn I3’s Mids are among the best I’ve heard in any price range.. whatever its planar driver is doing in there, it sure is creating some magics. Scary how fast chi-fi is advancing.

Currently running i3 via e1da 9038s with spiral dots with foam inside.
Very interesting. The H40 is|was on my shopping list. So I3 trumps H40?

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #365 of 3,865
I wonder - is the TRI I3 the pinnacle of KBEAR creations so far?

Also, TRI I3 vs Diamond ?

Very different comparisons.
- Single DD Diamond excels at timbre and is harmanish with a midbass bump. Subbass extends deeper in Diamond and soundstage much narrower in Diamond.
- The Tribid TRI I3 has slightly poorer timbre but much larger soundstage and better technicalities. TRI I3 is more balanced too in tonality (mild U shaped), Diamond is more V shaped.

KBEAR launched a flagship TRI Starlight Electrostatic set @$800 USD recently but nobody here dares to blind purchase at that price. And probably folks will go for the more established TOTL sets at that price.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #366 of 3,865
Very different comparisons.
- Single DD Diamond excels at timbre and is harmanish with a midbass bump. Subbass extends deeper in Diamond and soundstage much narrower in Diamond.
- The Tribid TRI I3 has slightly poorer timbre but much larger soundstage and better technicalities. TRI I3 is more balanced too in tonality (mild U shaped), Diamond is more V shaped.

KBEAR launched a flagship TRI Starlight Electrostatic set @$800 USD recently but nobody here dares to blind purchase at that price. And probably folks will go for the more established TOTL sets at that price.
Sorry, I meant to say, TRI I4 vs. Diamond. Fixed now.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #367 of 3,865
Very interesting. The H40 is|was on my shopping list. So I3 trumps H40?

Mixed reviews and impressions will be vary. But they are side grade to others, for me i prefer the H40 slightly because of wider soundstage and more extended trebles and less 3khz peak.
But for you as you dont like big quantity bass, the H40 have more quantity in bass, the sub bass especially. They resemble bl03 but better in every way.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #368 of 3,865
Mixed reviews and impressions will be vary. But they are side grade to others, for me i prefer the H40 slightly because of wider soundstage and more extended trebles and less 3khz peak.
But for you as you dont like big quantity bass, the H40 have more quantity in bass, the sub bass especially. They resemble bl03 but better in every way.
Yeah, I3 is as much bass as I'll want to countenance.
I do like bass but not too the point of distraction. Ditto for treble...

Just as a point of clarification - do the H40 have more bass quantity than the I3?

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #369 of 3,865
I really think the i3 will be tough to beat In every category, the biggest being price. I may buy another i3 as a backup, as it is really an enjoyable listening experience!

I have my I3 somewhere on the way from China, might take a few weeks still :D One of the reasons for me to pull the trigger was your very positive comments somewhere around page 20 added with the fact that you listen to a lot of stuff that I like in terms of psybient (carbon based lifeforms, entheogenic, ott, solar fields etc... all of which I've enjoyed live too on various festivals :thinking: ).

How familiar are you with Goa trance from the 90s and early 00s? If you can comment on how this fits with that kind of music since it's what I listen the most hours probably (but also a lot of other stuff both electronic and with rock/classical/organic instruments, so I'm hoping for bit of an all-rounder too). Example tracks: The Muses Rapt - Spiritual healing / Jaia - Mai Mai / Astral Projection - Mahadeva. I will be pairing I3 with DX160 (2020).
PS. You would probably like Asura and Gaudi too :)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #370 of 3,865
Yeah, I3 is as much bass as I'll want to countenance.

I do like bass but not too the point of distraction. Ditto for treble...

Just as a point of clarification - do the H40 have more bass quantity than the I3?

Yes as i mentioned before the H40 have more bass quantity than i3. So be caution. For me, i would prefer H40 with less bass. I use sedna short to reduce mid bass (wide bore) but still the bass is a bit overwhelming for me. But put that aside, everything is great with H40. That note weight, coherence, tonality, balance and soundstage!

Mids are more forwarded in H40, but the i3 have slightly faster and background / micro details but stay in smooth way. For me the i3 biggest cons is the slight 3khz peak.

I write comparisons between 2 last time, i just forgot on which thread. I think chifi thread IIRC.

Jun 13, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #371 of 3,865
Yes as i mentioned before the H40 have more bass quantity than i3. So be caution. For me, i would prefer H40 with less bass. I use sedna short to reduce mid bass (wide bore) but still the bass is a bit overwhelming for me. But put that aside, everything is great with H40. That note weight, coherence, tonality, balance and soundstage!

Mids are more forwarded in H40, but the i3 have slightly faster and background / micro details but stay in smooth way. For me the i3 biggest cons is the slight 3khz peak.

I write comparisons between 2 last time, i just forgot on which thread. I think chifi thread IIRC.
Uhm still wondering if I should buy the H40 as well...

for anyone looking for a Tri Starlight, Tape and i3 comparison here in Japanese
https://www.ear-phone-review.com/entry/Tri_Starlight_vs_Tri_i3_vs_Shuoer_Tape

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #372 of 3,865

You think voices are better rendered on h40 or i3?

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #373 of 3,865
You think voices are better rendered on h40 or i3?

I cant which one is better on mids because its like this :

The H40 :
+more forwarded mids and vocals
+have very decent weight
+more airy between instruments and vocals on mids
+great timbre and tonality
+more balance between low mids (male vocals) and upper mids (female vocals)
-not the best detailed mids (still better than budget level)

But i3 also have strength points:
+a little bit more background details
+great driver covering mids (planar) and they are very fast, not congested nor distorded at all
-have a slight peak on 3khz on upper mids part

So they have their pros and cons, and depends on what you are prefer.

For me, i prefer the H40 mids because of more forwarded and dont have 3khz (or just very very minor peak on high volume). But put that aside, mids on i3 also very great.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #374 of 3,865
I cant which one is better on mids because its like this :

The H40 :
+more forwarded mids and vocals
+have very decent weight
+more airy between instruments and vocals on mids
+more balance between low mids (male vocals) and upper mids (female vocals)
-not the best detailed mids (still better than budget level)

But i3 also have strength points:
+a little bit more background details
+great driver covering mids (planar) and they are very fast, not congested nor distorded at all
-have a slight peak on 3khz on upper mids part

So they have their pros and cons, and depends on what you are prefer.

For me, i prefer the H40 mids because of more forwarded and dont have 3khz (or just very very minor peak on high volume). But put that aside, mids on i3 also very great.
Thanks for detailed comparison. How about details and soundstage?

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #375 of 3,865
Thanks for detailed comparison. How about details and soundstage?

Both are not most detailed IEMs but still have very good details, mid frequency details slightly better on i3 due their planar driver, but higher frequency details is more heard on H40. But differences are subtle.

Soundstage is wide on both, but H40 is obviously wider than i3, but i3 have slightly more depth. Layering can be feel on both but not sharp, still like grouping (this is normal on this segmenylt i think - nowhere near IER M7) with H40 having more air in between instruments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back