Trends Audio USB DAC UD-10 good enough for HD650 ?
Nov 19, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 10
What sort of receiver? If it's stereo it should be fine.

You'll need a 3.5mm to RCA cable for the headphone socket. Not quite sure what volume setting you should use.

I find the DAC in the UD.10 quite reasonable in quality.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Does the quality of the receiver matter a lot? I thought the whole point of having a DAC is to pick up the slack from the receiver, the receiver that I would be getting would be second hand, <$300 NZD, which is like $180 USD.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecodemeist3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the quality of the receiver matter a lot? I thought the whole point of having a DAC is to pick up the slack from the receiver, the receiver that I would be getting would be second hand, <$300 NZD, which is like $180 USD.

headphone out components might not be up to the job on a receiver. Even really good ones can have poor HO stages, as they're primary use is not headphones.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecodemeist3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I have the reciever plugged into the computer, then have this DAC connected to the reciever, then have the hd650 connected into the DAC, would that work better?

SQ is only as good a the weakest link. I don't think you can get around that by swapping the order of your hook up.

The usual order of connection is :

Source(DAC) - Amp - Phones

If the receiver is connected to the PC, then what is its function - is it doing DAC decoding, or amplifying?

If it's DACing, then what's the point of having the Trend? If it's amping, I don't see the point of amping a poor signal and then DACing it. Even if this is technically possible.

Either way, it seems to me you're making the Trend redundant.

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 10
The analogue sound output from the Trends UD units is very very weak. It will be grossly insufficient for an HD650. It's too low to connect to a line level input on an amplifier without having to turn the volume dial up. Use it for the only purpose it's fit for: A USB to SPDIF converter.

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leveller1642
The bass will be rather mushy.

Just tried this combo except with HD-600s instead of HD-650s. Mushy Bass? No bass more like it. Needed to be on near maximum volume for a listenable level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
It's too low to connect to a line level input on an amplifier without having to turn the volume dial up. Use it for the only purpose it's fit for: A USB to SPDIF converter.

??????? It's hardly ideal, but it is usable as a line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back