Traveling headphones
Jan 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tagging55

New Head-Fier
I need some help and i'm new here so please excuse me if i label things wrong.  I am looking for a set of headphones that are to be worn on a charter bus and in hotel rooms.  I travel a great amount.  Must be comfortable for listening up to around 6 hours at a time. I will be using these with a Ipod Touch, a Nexus 4 Cell phone, and a MacBook Laptop.  I Listen to Metal and Hard Rock Genre's.  But watch a lot of movies and sitcoms on my computer during trips and in hotel.  Noise Cancellation isn't overly important the headphones that have passive noise isolation seems to be okay but I am not against noise canceling headphones.  My price range is lower than a lot of headphones i'm seeing in the category.  I really would like to not spend more than $150.  Which allows me to get headphones around an msrp of 250 seems on amazon and other websites.  Anyone have any ideas as to what would fit my needs?

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 11
Do you know what type of sound sig you like? I saw you listen to a lot of rock and metal. Your budget is small, but I would venture to say CAL! might fit your needs.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 11
Honestly, I couldn't comment on how they compare, as I haven't heard the HD 428. If they are anything like the HD 555's than I would say a they don't compare much alike. The HD 555's are more laid-back, with a more balenced sound signature compared to the CAL!. The cal sounds a lot like the M-50s with better mids and IMO tighter bass and a bit more extension. They seal and noise cancel better than the M-50s as well.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 11
I would like to point you towards AKG K167,
they are right about $150 range on Amazon(some days) and B&H photo video websites.
I feel that they fit your category nicely. 
-they are light, and fold up nicely for traveling.
-have superb isolation
-clarity of sound
-good comfort
-and style(subjective).

There is a thread on here if you would like to know more about its quality.
Let me know what you think of those.

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 11
No, you won't need to amp the CAL's :)
Now, I haven't heard the CAL's but from what I'm reading, they aren't too isolating. You should check up on that, although I don't know how important that is to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back