Transportable DAC/amp for HD6xx, that can scale to add tubes at desk
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ymshulman

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I ordered the Massdrop HD6xx, and have being reading up on various DAC/amp options. I have a pair of ATH M50x, but this is my first real foray into good audio.

I know now that the Schiit stack is thought to be the starting point for these headphones; and tube amps are considered the way to go by many, with the Bottlecrack + speedball endgame for many more.

I'm actually reluctant to be tied to a desktop setup, as I'd much prefer something I can walk around the house with. However, I would be happy to get something that would be great for walking around the house with, but would allow me the flexibility to add a desktop tube amp.

I believe the iFi micro iDSD and the Chord mojo are the two options that would fit this? Are there any others I should be looking at? Unfortunately the Chord mojo is out of my price range, but perhaps I can find a used original micro iDSD for around $200 or so.

(There's also the option of paying significantly more for the Massdrop Cavalli liquid carbon... If that was endgame, at $380 I might consider it, but I'm hearing too many mixed reports to believe it is so.)

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

I ordered the Massdrop HD6xx, and have being reading up on various DAC/amp options. I have a pair of ATH M50x, but this is my first real foray into good audio.

I know now that the Schiit stack is thought to be the starting point for these headphones; and tube amps are considered the way to go by many, with the Bottlecrack + speedball endgame for many more.

I'm actually reluctant to be tied to a desktop setup, as I'd much prefer something I can walk around the house with. However, I would be happy to get something that would be great for walking around the house with, but would allow me the flexibility to add a desktop tube amp.

I believe the iFi micro iDSD and the Chord mojo are the two options that would fit this? Are there any others I should be looking at? Unfortunately the Chord mojo is out of my price range, but perhaps I can find a used original micro iDSD for around $200 or so.

(There's also the option of paying significantly more for the Massdrop Cavalli liquid carbon... If that was endgame, at $380 I might consider it, but I'm hearing too many mixed reports to believe it is so.)
Man you are everywhere tonight. HD-650 and Mojo= not so good. Love the Mojo but not with the 650. I have the original Liquid Carbon and the 650 is ok but not better than the Crack IMO. I’m waiting on the CTH so we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back