Transaction Etiquette
Mar 7, 2006 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently sold some headphones using Head-Fi’s FS forum. I came to the realization that there are some members who don’t understand basic selling and buying etiquette.

I was communicating with someone interested in purchasing my headphones.
On 2/27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prospective Buyer
I need a few days to think if thats ok?

2/27 My reply: Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
Sure no problem. I have not advertised them. Hell I don't really want to sell them but...

3/1 I PMed Quote:

After replying to you about selling my K1000 rig I have decided that I really need to do so. So I would like to post it on the For Sale Forum. Have you thought about it any more?

I don't mean to put pressure on you but since I decided that I am going to sell I want to get it over and done with (before I change my mind).

On 3/2 Quote:

Originally Posted by Prospective Buyer
Ok the total price including shipping to ZIP Code with paypal?

thank you

I took this to mean that the prospective buyer was agreeing to the sale.

3/2 I replied Quote:

Cool! Including UPS shipping (Insured for $700) will be

$721.00 UPS ground (probably tuesday)
$761.00 UPS 2nd day (Saturday delivery)
$771.00 UPS Next day (By end of day Friday)
$776.00 UPS Next Day (By 10:30am Friday)

If you want it faster (like by Friday) you'll have to call me at work later today. I'll take them to work so that if the payment is made I'll be able to ship out right away as soon as payment is confirmed received (No later than 3pm eastern). My cell phone number is XXX-XXX-XXXX or work is XXX-XXX-XXXX

Payment info

My Email

My info

Ethan Wood
My Address

I look forward to hearing from you.

The prospective buyer read the message shortly after I sent it. A day later I PMed him again. I never did get a reply from him.
Finally on 3/5 I posted on the FS forum and sold them in less than one day

My point is Communications are key don’t leave people hanging.

Second story
I posted my Headphones on the FS forum . The first responder (a new member with less than one month on Head-Fi) PM’d me Quote:

Originally Posted by Prospective Buyer #2
Still got them? I'll take them.

I replied Quote:

Hello xxxx, You were the first respondent to state “I'll take them.” As stated the price is $700 including UPS ground. You can mail me a money order or you can use PayPal. Paypal payment would be $721.00

Here is my info (I exchange info with buyers/sellers for all of my transactions)
Ebay and Audiogon name Hispeedbusa
My Name Address and phone number

Work
Work Address and phone number

Since you are fairly new to Head-Fi please provide your Ebay and or Audiogon name and contact info. It would also be great if your Paypal membership has been Address Verified.

The Headphones and cables are already Boxed and at work ready to ship. I’ll ship when receipt of funds has been confirmed. If you want to upgrade the shipping please call me and I can let you know how much additional faster shipping will cost.

Please feel free to call me at either number. Also incase you have gone insane and changed your mind please let me know ASAP. There are about a dozen people in line after you.

Call me to let me know.

Sincerely

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prospective Buyers #2
So, if I may have changed my mind, you accuse me of being insane? Also, you want my Audiogon and ebay feedback? Next, it would be good to have confirmiation through paypal? Sell them to someone else...I have no time for insults or demands. I was getting these headphones (which I cannot bloody stand because they're like sticking your head between computer speakers) for a buddy of mine who was going to pay me back.

1st) The insane line is CLEARLY a joke. Sarcasim existed before the
icon10.gif
, and every sarcastic comment doesn't have to have a smiley.
2nd) The other questions are just a seller exercising due diligence. It is perfectly OK for a seller or buyer to ask such questions. You can give whatever answers you’re comfortable with, but you shouldn’t get upset when asked. Of course being a new member not answering the questions is a valid reason to terminate the transaction.

I buy occasionally and I sell occasionally, and at all times I am cognizant of security for both parties. Someone who wants to exchange info and feedback is looking out for the buyers and the sellers best interests.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 47
I'd have to agree. Some people just aren't good buyers, some poor sellers out there too though. Communication is key. I'm surprised buyer 2 got all hurt over asking for some type of references. Personally I wont buy/sell from/to someone with no posts who just joined.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 47
People leave me hanging all the time, and I admit it's annoying. They'd send me an inquiry, I'd reply, and they'd just plain ignore me. I even re-pmed to one guy to see what was up (it had been awhile since the initial engagement, he asked me a Q and seemed fairly interested), and he STILL didn't reply even though he was online soon after. People are just too lazy to send a mere "sorry, but I'm no longer interested".

I've really gotten fed up with it, and am this close to just writing negative feedback for these people. Buyer etiquette in such cases are common sense.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 47
I found, quite interestingly, I was left hanging by a number of SELLERS. I guess they sold it, even though they never updated the thread? Whatever, I'll take my money elsewhere.

The most annoying thing I have about the for sale forums here, is that 95% of the people whom I talked to would low ball me. And not even by a few bucks, I'm talking to the point of me making no money off the same of a DVD-A. After shipping I woudl have lost my DVD and had no money in return. I post a price for a reason, and the price is only negociable if you are taking a whole lot.

Still better then the 'Bay.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 47
For the item that I just sold I had Thirteen people who wanted the item. The 2nd bought it. I immediately updated the FS thread, but I didn't contact each person. I marked it "SOLD"

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
People leave me hanging all the time, and I admit it's annoying. They'd send me an inquiry, I'd reply, and they'd just plain ignore me. I even re-pmed to one guy to see what was up (it had been awhile since the initial engagement, he asked me a Q and seemed fairly interested), and he STILL didn't reply even though he was online soon after. People are just too lazy to send a mere "sorry, but I'm no longer interested".

I've really gotten fed up with it, and am this close to just writing negative feedback for these people. Buyer etiquette in such cases are common sense.

Although very annoying, this probably wouldn't be the best way to go about things. Technically you can't negatively comment on someone unless a transaction HAS taken place. You can't negatively comment on someone just because they didn't have the common courtesy to let you know they were no longer interested.

And although, things like this are very annoying, I don't think it's likely you'll see much of this going on among the senior members of Head-fi. I hate to stereotype new people who join, but a lot of times, I think upon discovering this site people want to buy some great headphones fast, before actually doing they're homework to find out what would suit them best. So they start shooting off PM's left and right and never follow up. But this is just how I've seen things happen..

JD

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
Although very annoying, this probably wouldn't be the best way to go about things. Technically you can't negatively comment on someone unless a transaction HAS taken place. You can't negatively comment on someone just because they didn't have the common courtesy to let you know they were no longer interested.

I know, that's why I haven't done it. But whenever I come across that buyer/seller who seems lack any sense at all, I just have a desire to.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 47
You seem to be a good and reasonable seller, not that you probably didn't know it already.
tongue.gif

Posts like this from time to time is a good reminder to prospective sellers and buyers on how to conduct simple transactions.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I know, that's why I haven't done it. But whenever I come across that buyer/seller who seems lack any sense at all, I just have a desire to.

Totally understand.. But I think the biggest thing we all need to remember is, we shouldn't let a couple of lame buyers/sellers sum up our Head-fi experience. Sure there are some not so great people here, and there are so not so great people as well. But we shouldn't take a sour approach to the entire Head-fi experience just because there are a few lame apples in the bunch.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
And although, things like this are very annoying, I don't think it's likely you'll see much of this going on among the senior members of Head-fi. I hate to stereotype new people who join, but a lot of times, I think upon discovering this site people want to buy some great headphones fast, before actually doing they're homework to find out what would suit them best. So they start shooting off PM's left and right and never follow up. But this is just how I've seen things happen..

JD

The first prospective buyer has been a member for well over 2 years, and has almost 4000 posts. Just shows that time and typing ability don't automatically result in a considerate member.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:56 AM Post #12 of 47
I have had problems like that too. I just wish people would make up their minds! When I decide I wan't somthing I pm, and purchase and pay in the same day, usually in the same hour, so it bothers me when people say they want something and then take forever to pay or then decide they don't want it, when there are other people in line who would like the same item. *sigh* oh well.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 47
As a seller, first one to give a firm commitment to buy wins. "Sale Pending" is stated in the FS thread. If no payment is received as the buyer backs out, or is not heard from, thread is updated to "Still Available".

I have had buyers get upset because they thought they had dibs on an item by just contacting me first, and not actually giving me a firm offer.

To me this statement equals a solid offer:

"Hi, I want to buy your item. Where do I send payment? I can pay by PayPal, money order, etc."

To me this statement is NOT a solid offer:

"Hi, I am interested in your item. Please tell me more about it."

-Ed

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 47
Take it one step further, outside the realm of FS stuff - I love the people who send one line PM's asking for advice about stuff without so much as a "hello" or "hi" or "thanks" (do I need a smiley here?). Even when dealing with people I know I usually introduce myself at the beginning of a PM just to be on the polite side of things

And while I respond to every PM I get I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with the lack of common courtesy that people operate with. I made the mistake once early in my HF career, was taken to task for it (rightly so) and realized that just because I'm typing that isn't a license to be an inconsiderate ahole.

My 2¢,

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back