Tralucent T1 appreciation thread - post your experiences and questions here
Nov 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 546
^ +1 to the popular amps comparisons. This is something I would like to hear as well since I was considering probably all of these at one stage.. Also would like to hear about the Firestone. Cheers.

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #17 of 546
Quote:
  That sounds nice. Competition is always a plus :). Do you have any other more popular portable amps to compare to (ones well known here on headfi likr Pico Slim, TTVJ Slim, Arrow etc).

Well, the plan is to try to compare it against some other ones as well, but I can only secure the FireyeHD for long-term comparison. I'll see what I can do.

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #18 of 546
Quote:
^ +1 to the popular amps comparisons. This is something I would like to hear as well since I was considering probably all of these at one stage.. Also would like to hear about the Firestone. Cheers.

I can comfortably say it compares with the UHA6 MKII which is quite a feat.

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #21 of 546
Quote:
How is the volume control? When using sensitive IEM's, are you able to get down to very low volumes without channel imbalance?

For me more so around 10 o'clock or 11 seems to hit the spot. Although with my DX100 I like putting it to half volume. If you are pairing it with a very powerful line out in bit for bit I can see it possibly being a problem (like on my DACport LX). But pretty much using it with a portable device it should be a non issue.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 546
Not sure if anyone is aware of JPLAY (using it through foobar plugin) but that runs a bit hot. Meaning that I don't need to have amp as high. As a result I only utilise a portion of the amp's power (similar to having a high variable output on the DX100 like Lee). Only have it at quarter turn (9 'oclock) and my ears will begin to bleed. So low level for me is about 1/8th turn (7.30). So from comparison to others I am using it at "very low" levels (though I would classify this as only "low" for me because this is as low I would want to go). And no channel imbalance there. I am using the Tralucent 1Plus2 btw - is this considered very sensitive? If I go lower though there is imbalance (I am guessing this is the same for most if not all portable amps) but by now I cannot hear much of the song at all...here the amp is barely utilised.

On a side note: On JPLAY I can set bitperfect volume to -6dB (perceivably half as loud output - this is like lowering volume with variable line out) or even less (i.e. -12dB/-18dB etc) but I start to get pops when changing tracks so I avoid these settings for now. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #26 of 546
Yeh I was a bit concerned as I had the bought the amp without inquiring about the impedance on the headphone out. I think for sensitive IEMs at least as close to 1 ohm is better right? You surprised me Lee when you told me it was less than 1 ohm! 

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #29 of 546
Yes they are independent and so is rated output impedance and actual output impedance depending on load (i.e. IEM) but I'm saying that an amp needs to be handle the peaks and troughs of sensitive IEMs. If the load gets below what the amp can handle (i.e. output impedance)...sonically this is a problem is it not (as in the sonic character/frequency response/bass control/the 1/8th rule)?  I'm probably over simplifying things and somebody should school me properly! But 8 ohms for sensitive IEMs was a bit much..

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #30 of 546
Quote:
Yes they are independent and so is rated output impedance and actual output impedance depending on load (i.e. IEM) but I'm saying that an amp needs to be handle the peaks and troughs of sensitive IEMs. If the load gets below what the amp can handle (i.e. output impedance)...sonically this is a problem is it not (as in the sonic character/frequency response/bass control/the 1/8th rule)?  I'm probably over simplifying things and somebody should school me properly! But 8 ohms for sensitive IEMs was a bit much..

Pretty much you got it right. If you go over the 1/8 rule it will 99.9 percent alter the intended frequency response of the IEM which means altering the sound. In random cases this may actually benefit the listener but let's be honest here. That's a far-shot and just an excuse to justify lazy design flaws by these manufacturers. Kinda like how P2P is ruining PC games because the game developers are getting lazy and cheap and are focusing on crap console games (lowering standards one game at a time :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back