Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #4,381 of 6,404
  Just to see what would happen, I used my HDP-R10 on high gain and holy crap, the mids are so much better. If there is a gain changer like a DX100 or DX50, try it on high gain!

From my experience, that normally should be the case since high power will smoothen out some treble and as a result pronounce more bass and mids. So basically the gain is too much for the IEM that it alters its frequency response.

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #4,382 of 6,404
  Just to see what would happen, I used my HDP-R10 on high gain and holy crap, the mids are so much better. If there is a gain changer like a DX100 or DX50, try it on high gain!

thanks, i was just happy reading Currawong since his remarks relaxed my temptation for new gear but now you buzzed in and spoiled everything. receive hate message from my wallet... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #4,383 of 6,404
  From my experience, that normally should be the case since high power will smoothen out some treble and as a result pronounce more bass and mids. So basically the gain is too much for the IEM that it alters its frequency response.

thanks for restoring my trust in people
beyersmile.png

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #4,384 of 6,404

I thought gain was equivalent to turning up the volume. Am I completely misled?

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #4,385 of 6,404

thanks, i was just happy reading Currawong since his remarks relaxed my temptation for new gear but now you buzzed in and spoiled everything. receive hate message from my wallet... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

Sorry... I know how it feels....

Yeah, this is what is happening. I do find the treble a tad bit too sharp for my taste so this a good thing?

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #4,386 of 6,404

I thought that my DX100 was changing the sound with the different gain levels, but after careful testing and confirmation from iBasso I discovered this was an illusion. Due to the way our ears work, we perceive the frequency response differently at higher or lower volume levels. This is what you're hearing, not a change in the electronics.

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #4,387 of 6,404
  thanks for restoring my trust in people
beyersmile.png

lol luckily 1+2 can handle sources with different powers pretty well. I still remember trying JH16 on dx100 with high gain.... Bass is all what I heard..

IMO, ak120 and 901 are better sources for just 1+2 than DX100. Dx100 is already spacious (mid not as forward as other DAPs), so it make 1+2 sounds super clear and large, but somewhat lack of weight and smoothness.

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #4,388 of 6,404

I thought that my DX100 was changing the sound with the different gain levels, but after careful testing and confirmation from iBasso I discovered this was an illusion. Due to the way our ears work, we perceive the frequency response differently at higher or lower volume levels. This is what you're hearing, not a change in the electronics.

Yeah, that makes sense. I find when I listen at louder volumes the mids seem to move closer. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #4,392 of 6,404
  Sorry... I know how it feels....
Yeah, this is what is happening. I do find the treble a tad bit too sharp for my taste so this a good thing?

The only thing you can do with DX100 is to turn on your EQ and reduce about 2-3 db at 4000 Hz (ideally it should be 6000 Hz), but it will still add some weight and lushness. Maybe add 1db at 1000 Hz? Try it out.

Also changing tips are much more effective than EQ.

I use comply T500 tips, cut the ends until I hear a more neutral, musical sound. 

You might need to experiment with this, cut too much will make it too harsh, too little will make it a bit dull. This also depends on your ear canal size/shapes and how old the comply tips are.
Every time I switch on a pair of new T500 tips, I noticed instant change in bass impact and warmth of the sound. Overtime, the sound opens up more and bass settle down a bit.

Since it's a universal, just take your time and find what sound suits best for you:wink:

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #4,394 of 6,404
  The only thing you can do with DX100 is to turn on your EQ and reduce about 2-3 db at 4000 Hz (ideally it should be 6000 Hz), but it will still add some weight and lushness. Maybe add 1db at 1000 Hz? Try it out.

Also changing tips are much more effective than EQ.

I use comply T500 tips, cut the ends until I hear a more neutral, musical sound. 

You might need to experiment with this, cut too much will make it too harsh, too little will make it a bit dull. This also depends on your ear canal size/shapes and how old the comply tips are.
Every time I switch on a pair of new T500 tips, I noticed instant change in bass impact and warmth of the sound. Overtime, the sound opens up more and bass settle down a bit.

Since it's a universal, just take your time and find what sound suits best for you:wink:

To be honest, I'm not much of an EQ and comply fan, but I'll give the EQ a try. Comply just gets disgusting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back