Trafomatic Head 2
Feb 12, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #48 of 267
  How do you like the head 2 compared to the stratus you had?

I listened for a bit last night with the new Amperex in place and my T1's. The Head 2 is fast, musical, and balanced. The Stratus on the other hand is more romantic and lush, which was part of Donald's design goal. The Head 2 seems to be more linear and has less tube bloom. Bottom line is that I like them both in their own way. Both are musically engaging and satifying to listen to. If you want that tubey warmth and sense of space(that DHT's do so well), I recommend the Stratus. The Head 2 will be a little quicker, more balanced, but also a little drier.

Side note-my Head 2 only has a 1/4" output, so I'm using a 4 pin XLR to 1/4 adapter (thanks WyWires!)

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #49 of 267

I listened for a bit last night with the new Amperex in place and my T1's. The Head 2 is fast, musical, and balanced. The Stratus on the other hand is more romantic and lush, which was part of Donald's design goal. The Head 2 seems to be more linear and has less tube bloom. Bottom line is that I like them both in their own way. Both are musically engaging and satifying to listen to. If you want that tubey warmth and sense of space(that DHT's do so well), I recommend the Stratus. The Head 2 will be a little quicker, more balanced, but also a little drier.

Side note-my Head 2 only has a 1/4" output, so I'm using a 4 pin XLR to 1/4 adapter (thanks WyWires!)

Good to know... so they are comparable. Also in the same league. I am more after an engaging sound with transparency and technical prowess. I was close to the stratus but he didn't respond to my inquiry as well as how freaking long it takes. If the head2 is just as good but cheaper and faster to receive then I am cool with it. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #50 of 267
Well, take my critique with a grain of salt, partly because I'm going on audio memory. The are both satisfying to my ears, but I wouldn't say they are equal. With Stratus you get the extra richness and air. 2 completely different tube designs(DHT vs push-pull) each with their own benefit.

Another factor is I'm running my balanced DAC into the balanced in on the Head 2, where as I could only go single ended into the Stratus.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #51 of 267
  Well, take my critique with a grain of salt, partly because I'm going on audio memory. The are both satisfying to my ears, but I wouldn't say they are equal. With Stratus you get the extra richness and air. 2 completely different tube designs(DHT vs push-pull) each with their own benefit.

Another factor is I'm running my balanced DAC into the balanced in on the Head 2, where as I could only go single ended into the Stratus.

Isn't the Trafomatic not a true balanced amp either?

From what I gathered, true balanced design means separate power to both channels & this only has one transformer.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #52 of 267

Isn't the Trafomatic not a true balanced amp either?

From what I gathered, true balanced design means separate power to both channels & this only has one transformer.

Yes, both are transformer balanced, not true balanced amplifiers. I was just clarifying my particular setup, so people have context for my comments.

My particular Head 2 has balanced XLR inputs, but only 1/4" output. The Stratus has single ended inputs and transformer balanced 4 pin XLR headphone output.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #53 of 267
Well that didn't last long.

Turned on my Trafomatic Head 2 to see the power light did not turn on!

I turned it off & unplugged the power cord & re-plugged it in again into different power surge protector. This time the power light did turn on.The power light blinked a bit & then eventually turned solid.
Now when I plug my headphones in the is a very loud ringing/buzzing sound as the volume gets higher.

I switched the preamp tubes & the buzzing sound is still the same.
I checked all my surge protectors & they are working fine & they are not the problem. I also switched power cords & again, that was not the problem.

I'm going to contact Trafomaticaudio to see what they will say.

Disappointed that a $2,500 product didn't even last a few months before breaking down!

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #54 of 267
This sucks.
Tried it with balanced out, singled ended out, with XLR input cables, with single ended input cables, tried it with different dacs, different preamp tubes.

All the same. Buzzing that gets louder with the volume across all impedance settings as well.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #55 of 267
  This sucks.
Tried it with balanced out, singled ended out, with XLR input cables, with single ended input cables, tried it with different dacs, different preamp tubes.

All the same. Buzzing that gets louder with the volume across all impedance settings as well.

Hopefully they are able to repair or replace for you.  I never ran into that problem when I had it, and the internal wiring and craftsmanship appeared top notch when I inspected it.

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #58 of 267
This happens to the best of em. Mine was supposed to be here today. How do you take the top off... Pics show no seams

The plate is on the bottom. The top and sides are a seamless wood chassis lined with metal internally. The internals are actually mounted upside down. So the picture is looking at it from the bottom.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #60 of 267

This happens to the best of em. Mine was supposed to be here today. How do you take the top off... Pics show no seams

The plate is on the bottom. The top and sides are a seamless wood chassis lined with metal internally. The internals are actually mounted upside down. So the picture is looking at it from the bottom.

There are 8 Philips screws on the bottom, just unscrew them & the metal plate slides off.

Thanks! makes tube rolling not too hard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back