Trafomatic Head 2
Oct 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #137 of 188

Thenewguy007

Headphoneus Supremus
In 8 months time, one might also grow a forest, chop down some trees and build a crate out of it themselves. Maybe that's exactly what happened here...

They do have a queue to go through, so I understand a 90+ day waiting time.
Afterwards they said they ordered a new crate & had to wait until it arrives before shipping it, but that was mid June.

I'm still waiting on word when it will be shipping back. I'm thinking of buying something directly from their site, so maybe that can speed up the return?

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #139 of 188

grizzlybeast

My name is grizzlybeast and I'm an audioholic.
I took the advice of a bud here and put some of these in as the power tubes... 
4x 6N6P = ECC99 ~ E182CC Russian Double Triode Tubes
This did what I wanted all along. Basically no wants in the bass even with low impedance cans. 

The soundstage is slightly less wide but the bass firmed up and the notes have more density now with heftier layering. Clarity took no hits neither did detail retrieval. This bass is pretty much as natural and dense as I have heard ever from any amp.  

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #140 of 188

Xinlisupreme

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, where can i find it?
Do you think that Russian 6922EH has light bass?
I've tested ECC88 Siemens Halske GA2 (NOS 1966) and bass increase, but not only it...

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #142 of 188

hamlyn

100+ Head-Fier
They do have a queue to go through, so I understand a 90+ day waiting time.
Afterwards they said they ordered a new crate & had to wait until it arrives before shipping it, but that was mid June.

I'm still waiting on word when it will be shipping back. I'm thinking of buying something directly from their site, so maybe that can speed up the return?

Did you get your amp back?

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #143 of 188

FredSD

Member of the Trade: StereoDesk
Yes, he did. We've never had a repair that took that long. Given that there were only 2 amps that we knew of that had the soft touch finish,
and we knew who had one, and the other had been leant to a headphone company to audition, we thought the unit was stolen initially. It was the tracking down of the what happened that took a long time. It turns out the client had purchased it from Canada, hence the confusion. we were not aware any other soft touch finished amps had been made. the headphone amps in that finish were a test run for a large extraordinary pair of amps for a client here in the states. We acquired the porsche soft touch topaz brown here, and sent it to Serbia, (hazmat and all) so that the Drinas could be made. massive amps based on the Eimac 450TL tube, along with a matching phono stage and preamp. FYI, the Trafomatic Collins phono stage was just finished.

so you can imagine our surprise when a soft touch H2 showed up for repair. we thought the headphone company had sold the head amp...and as it turned out, they did, without any consultation...but this was not that amp. So the whole thing came down to a misunderstanding. We did order a new crate for it, as it lacked a crate. it was sent to us in a regular box, which again played to our certainty it was the other amp, as that amp had been dropped off by hand at the headphone company...no crate like all of the others. the entire situation was unfortunate.

we sent it back before knowing what had happened, we just figured, whether it was stolen or not, we'd just send it back to this guy as he obviously didn't know. and we put it in a new crate.

end of unfortunate escapade.

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #146 of 188

Strayngs

1000+ Head-Fier
Resurrecting a old tread. I received a Head 2 a couple months ago and I love it. I have only the stock tubes in it but it is such a great amp. I also have a PrimaLuna EVO 300 Integrated which has a much differ sound. Great Complementary amps I have. on Thursday I will receive a Rosson Rad-0 and a Focal Utopia. I also have a Kennerton Thridi. Between my 2 amps and my three headphones I should be set. Pretty endgame in my opinion. My DAC is a Elac DDP2. I Recently acquired an Avid Ingenium Turntable. I will give some thought about some comparisons in the next couple weeks once I played my newly acquired headphones on it.

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #147 of 188

FredSD

Member of the Trade: StereoDesk
Resurrecting a old tread. I received a Head 2 a couple months ago and I love it. I have only the stock tubes in it but it is such a great amp. I also have a PrimaLuna EVO 300 Integrated which has a much differ sound. Great Complementary amps I have. on Thursday I will receive a Rosson Rad-0 and a Focal Utopia. I also have a Kennerton Thridi. Between my 2 amps and my three headphones I should be set. Pretty endgame in my opinion. My DAC is a Elac DDP2. I Recently acquired an Avid Ingenium Turntable. I will give some thought about some comparisons in the next couple weeks once I played my newly acquired headphones on it.
Glad you're enjoying the Head 2. Love your turntable and headphone choices. i hope one day you have the chance to hear the Primavera...if only for it to serve as a reference to where the Trafomatic sound can go. if you ever need an integrated that can drive any headphone, the Trafomatic Premise is a great option. it actually puts out 3 watts triode into 50 ohms...not many head amps do that. and it can run in class A triode or class AB ultra linear for speakers. Hey, I sell the stuff, so I'm biased. (but I was biased first, that's why I sell it now)

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #148 of 188

Strayngs

1000+ Head-Fier
One of these days maybe. Thanks for the reply.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #150 of 188

Strayngs

1000+ Head-Fier
Thanks. I do plan on this soon

Users who are viewing this thread