Trader Advice - Am I in the wrong?
Jun 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

shamrock134

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this is appropriate to post here, but I'd appreciate some advice from fellow head-fiers.

In Jan 2011 I bought my Ultrasone Edition 8 from a member. The transaction was quick and smooth. In the ad there was a clause which I thought was odd at the time, but never really gave much thought. It read, "I'll be happy to assist you, the buyer, with any proof of purchase issues that might crop up until the end of the standard warranty (early Dec 2013). The phones are unregistered so you should be able to register for the 5-year warranty."

Fast forward to this year and I made a warranty repair on the Edition 8 through Ultrasone with the assistance of the seller. I was grateful for his help, but after a while I thought I'd prefer not to do it like this with a proxy acting on my behalf and politely requested the receipt from the seller. He declined.

This naturally made me dubious of his intentions and after badgering him for a reason why he had to keep a piece of paper that is no longer of any use to him, all he could do was quote the original ad and how I had agreed to his terms. He also added some nonsense about how "changing the goalposts" after previous sales had "blown up in his face" so he will not give me what I want and will stick to the original ad.

Am I going insane or is this totally unreasonable of him? Or is he right, and I somehow entered into a binding contract by purchasing the E8 where he keeps the receipt despite not owning it? 

I have to say this is really stressing me out. All I want is the receipt for the product I own and to never deal with this **** again, but instead he is withholding it from me because he thinks something bad may come of it in the future.

Tl;dr Seller will not give me the receipt for the product I own.

Thanks for any advice and sorry to litter the headphone forum with this, but I'm getting nowhere with PMing the seller.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 30
Be careful, he might be keeping the receipt so when you send the headphones in he can go up to Ultrasone and say that they are his and should be sent to the address on the receipt (which should be where he lives).

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 30
I don't think that is the case as I have already made a successful warranty repair with his help. I sent them to Ultrasone to repair the palladium cups and they were returned to me.

I just cannot think of any reason why he is so strongly opposed to sending me a document he no longer needs or has use for.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 30
Are you 100% sure he even has the receipt? 

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 30
Not sure, but he managed to initiate the warranty repair which would have required it I would have thought.

Thinking logically and ignoring his weak argument of him wanting to avoid future issues the only conclusions I can come up with are that he doesn't have the receipt (unlikely) or that he is hiding something that I would find out from the receipt?

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 30
I don't think you need a receipt to repair your edition 8 with Ultrasone. I have sent my ed8 for repair the last time without needing the receipt. I think you will be fine when you have registered your ed8 to Ultrasone because they will have your details linked to your ed8 serial number in their system.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 30
I didn't realise that, that's good to know. Do you know how registering with Ultrasone affects selling the headphone on? Because my other issue with not having the receipt is if I wish to sell them because nobody will buy them without it (except fools like me 
rolleyes.gif
). The E8 hasn't really been getting much head time and I'm considering letting it go but I feel my hands are tied without the receipt. 

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #9 of 30
Im not too sure on that one. Best to ask ultrasone to get a clear answer but my guess is you can just include your registration form/confirmation to the new owner. In my experience, ultrasone is not too fussy about warranty but others experience may vary.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 30
To contribute some added perspective, I wouldn't be comfortable sending my original purchase receipt to a buyer either.  I've worked at a few different retailers and, from memory, they all kept full credit card numbers/expirations on file for every purchase within their electronic register journal systems.  They didn't show on the physical receipt, but a third party attempting to get a complete printout is a possibility that I could never rule out.

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 30
I notice you have a fair amount of positive trader feedback. What do you send to your buyers then?

Personally, I always send the proof of purchase to anyone who buys my gear regardless of whether it's in or out of warranty. Even if it's not for warranty purposes they can see it came from a reputable retailer and is legit.

I understand people need to be careful online, but I find the seller's cynicism towards me offensive given that I have +20 positive feedback and haven't given him any reason to doubt my intentions (which is more than I can say for him).

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:
I notice you have a fair amount of positive trader feedback. What do you send to your buyers then?

...love?

In all seriousness, I never send receipts.  Additionally, the vast majority of the gear I've owned has been used (with one of the few exceptions being the K550 with recently modded pads that's currently sitting atop my head... loving this) and I always disclose the item's history.  I'm just straightforward, thorough, and honest in my listings and communication... that's it.  

It's amicable that you give receipts.  Sincerely, I mean it.  Although my reasoning didn't seem to be given directly by the seller, I just wanted to give my insight as to why one wouldn't provide one.  Did either of you contact Ultrasone to see if they could transfer the warranty?  At any rate, I'm sorry that this transaction has been a hassle for you and wish you the best if you go through with a sale.  I know I wouldn't mind owning the Edition 8 again. :)

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 30
I would never send receipts - they contain too much personal information. Persistently asking for one is more suspicious to me than a seller refusing to send one, though it sounds like your intentions aren't to extract information from one.

Also, you need to verify that the warranty is transferable from buyer to buyer, because if it isn't the receipt is pointless regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back