Track 8 amused to death
Nov 23, 2002 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Roger Waters album "Amused to Death" Track 8:

Through my Marantz CD17 ki sig, audiolab 8000a / 8000P and Wilmslow audio "Vogue" speakers (hand built with solen caps) it sounds like roger is chopping some wood.

Through the audiolab headphone socket with HD600's it sounds like he is chopping some wood.... but it seems a softer kind of wood like Balsa wood.

Through the Creek OBH-11 with HD600's it sounds like he's slapping a tarts arse.

Through the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 with HD600's it sounds like he is slapping a "high class tarts arse with silk knickers on"

Through the KI headphone jack it sounded as if he was chopping a log.

Through the Denon 835 into creek OBH-11 from line out it appears he is again slapping a tarts bum.

Through the Denon 835 into MF X-Cans from line out, however, it sounds like he is actually whipping a tarts arse with a leather whip. (on prolonged listening it could be a dead budgie on a length of rope)

Question: does anybody know what he is actually doing on this track? the deep breaths followed by the "cracks" of whatever impliment it is has always intrigued me.

I listened to this track on my girlfriends "midi" system and it just sounded like mains interference similar to a huge voltage spike cracking through the cans...... maybe that's all it is??? Large voltage spikes recorded to sound like wood, arses, budgies on rope...

I think there's more to it than that however and really wan't to know which amp / source reproduces this sound most faithfully.

Pinkie

Nov 23, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Finally someone who has heard both the KI's headout and some decent headamps. Where would you put the build in output: way worse than any amplifier; similar; better than some, worse than others? Thanks in advance for the info!

Nov 23, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by kerecsen
Finally someone who has heard both the KI's headout and some decent headamps. Where would you put the build in output: way worse than any amplifier; similar; better than some, worse than others? Thanks in advance for the info!

In a word "better"

Pinkie

Nov 23, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 6
When I say "better" I mean "better" than OBH-11 and X-Can V2. I haven't tried the more exotic head amps so can't comment or compare to them.

I still maintain that the audiolab 8000A headphone is the best I've heard (in direct comparison to dedicated head amps).......

Why ask me though? I'm a deaf old fart........ always use your own ears .

Pinkie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back