Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 18, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #9,107 of 10,312
Here a very quick review of the "Silver Widow 24", from the perspective of a non-expert
audiophile. I might start by commenting that it took me more than a year of hesitation to
bit the bullet and order a new cable. I was scared to waste my limited budget and tricked
into buying snake oil which wouldn't improve my listening experience.

Despite the consensus that copper cables would fit better with the Audeze LCD series,
I went for the silver widow from toxic-cable (I can't praise enough Frank's remarkable help
for buying the cable). 

I am now experimenting the cable with my Audeze LCD-XC. The reason why I wanted to go
down the silver route is that (despite being a closed-back headphone)
the XC has a very decent soundstage, but felt it was sometimes under-performing
and could use some more refined treble, instrument separation,
and soundstage. All of them improved with the silver widow ! The bass surprisingly became also tighter,
which I didn't expect, and the XC just more fun and more agile. The HD800 will still have the edge of
course for soundstage, but actually I quite like the combination of the more groovy sound of the XC and
now the added air, maybe closer now to a Audeze/HD hybrid sound.  

Now I am aware of the old war regarding cables in HiFi, and I won't comment too much on that. 
I am myself an engineer  (physics), and I couldn't tell you how the electro-magnetic coherence
and phasing is affected by the cable design, but experiments always have the last word on the theory,
and A/B testing clearly showed a significant improvement over the standard cable. 

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #9,108 of 10,312
Originally Posted by cedric79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I was scared to waste my limited budget and tricked
into buying snake oil which wouldn't improve my listening experience.

Despite the consensus that copper cables would fit better with the Audeze LCD series,
I went for the silver widow from toxic-cable (I can't praise enough Frank's remarkable help
for buying the cable). 

... All of them improved with the silver widow ! The bass surprisingly became also tighter,
which I didn't expect, and the XC just more fun and more agile...  

Now I am aware of the old war regarding cables in HiFi, and I won't comment too much on that. 
I am myself an engineer  (physics), and I couldn't tell you how the electro-magnetic coherence
and phasing is affected by the cable design, but experiments always have the last word on the theory,
and A/B testing clearly showed a significant improvement over the standard cable. 

Almost identical experience to mine except I have the LCD-X (my partner is very forgiving of the sound leak)... very intelligent people constantly berate 'audiophiles' for spending money on cables when it is very easy to demonstrate the difference!

and Frank is always so helpful!!!

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #9,111 of 10,312
Sep 20, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #9,112 of 10,312
Thanks for the reminder, Frank! Will need to find time to post impressions. :)

Nnoooo aaarrgghhhh..no more reviews or else i wont win anything..whahahahaahahaa kidding guys! :D

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #9,114 of 10,312
Errm.... how do I place a link for my reviews? I know there somewhere on this runaway monster thread... 608 pages. 
ph34r.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #9,115 of 10,312
  Errm.... how do I place a link for my reviews? I know there somewhere on this runaway monster thread... 608 pages. 
ph34r.gif

​Can you not just copy and paste them onto the Toxic site?

Or are you saying you literally can't find them here?

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #9,116 of 10,312

​Can you not just copy and paste them onto the Toxic site?

Or are you saying you literally can't find them here?

@maguire

​Ok mate, here's one of them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-impressions-and-discussion-thread/8550#post_12374437

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #9,117 of 10,312
@maguire

​and here's your Virus review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-impressions-and-discussion-thread/4035#post_9583257

Were there more?

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #9,118 of 10,312
Wow you really live up to your name Crafty Clown....Thanks mate, I am not flash at these things....Does this now put me in the running for the new cable?
Probably more in there somewhere, how on earth do you find such things.....I gotta get off the moon man....Ground control to major Stan.....

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #9,119 of 10,312
  Wow you really live up to your name Crafty Clown....Thanks mate, I am not flash at these things....Does this now put me in the running for the new cable?
Probably more in there somewhere, how on earth do you find such things.....I gotta get off the moon man....Ground control to major Stan.....

​Ha ha, no worries mate.

Remember to stick them on Frank's website to be in with a chance to win
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #9,120 of 10,312
  Prize draw posted here ending on the 1st, so be sure to enter 

Hydra now added to the site along with the SW24 which was missing.

If there are other cables missing, which there are, please PM me which cable you have and i will add it before the prize draw ends.

Well, I would add my thoughts, but am waiting on my cable (which is apparently ready, yay!)- I confirmed my address and asked for a tracking details a couple of days ago, but you've gone dark. I have to assume you're rushed off your feet, but it'd be nice to get an update.

(Annoying, as I will have this weekend free for listening, too, so was planning on a bit of a binge 
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back