Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 1, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #8,822 of 10,312
  Just to let you know that I successfully placed an order on the TC website just now. It seemed to work ok.

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the order and confirmation here, it's very appreciated. It seems to be mostly international orders effected for some reason, while we had some orders on the site go through today, others  were cancelled due to checkout issues.

We do have people working on this right now and all should be well by Monday. Person i hired to make the new website, seems to have not done a good job with this and now have some pro's working on it.

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #8,824 of 10,312
SW24 first 5 minutes. Well I now have a fetish for how cables feel! Lol. The fit behind my ears is better for me with this as I wear glasses to read and stuff. No comments about sound yet. Literally 5 mins with it. Am trying loads of favourite tracks for the difference trrs makes. :thumbsup_tone1:
Can anyone in UK recommend a case for this cable and my IEM please?

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #8,825 of 10,312
32 mins in to first listen. Jazz at the Pawnshop, oh yes. Aural bliss. The sounds! Wow. Tsk tsk of cymbals is so, I don't know how to describe it, crisp, clear, drums are great and the soundstage is crazy good. It was anyway but with TRRS it's good. The background voices and glasses chinking is clearer. Who cares if it's a placebo effect, I like it! A lot.
EDIT - back home and back on it. lol. Sorry Wife I am too busy to talk to you! 1hr 45mins in. Jazz at the Pawnshop never sounded so good.

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #8,826 of 10,312
32 mins in to first listen. Jazz at the Pawnshop, oh yes. Aural bliss. The sounds! Wow. Tsk tsk of cymbals is so, I don't know how to describe it, crisp, clear, drums are great and the soundstage is crazy good. It was anyway but with TRRS it's good. The background voices and glasses chinking is clearer. Who cares if it's a placebo effect, I like it! A lot.

Congrats on your SW24!
32 minutes already? => burn-in process should be almost finished
wink.gif

I also like cables....uhhhh...placebo a lot
biggrin.gif

Happy listening!

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #8,828 of 10,312
I got a portable DAP (Cowon Plenue P - not that well known in the west compared with all the A&K type stuff) and I quickly realised I needed something better than my 12 year old etymotic 4p (mind in terms of value they were probably the best bargain i’ve had) so I bought in quick succession shure 846 for commuting/travelling (I got them for a good price) and the Audeze LCD-X for listening at home… both were excellent “out of the box” and the 846 a stunning upgrade over the 4p. I also knew that “everyone” upgraded the cables so I lurked around on here and found the Toxic Cable thread (pretty hard to miss it)… since I am in Manchester (England not NH) I really liked the idea of buying something made here in Britain (I think it best to drop the UK bit since it isn’t really ‘united’ anymore - an irrelevant aside for most on this forum) and I read my way through the hundreds of pages. Initially I was worried about the comments about waiting 6 months, no communication and the occasional person saying cables “are snake oil”…well:

I contacted Frank, he replied, I asked his advice and moved up to the SilverWidow 24 for the LCD-X  well it arrived almost exactly when Frank said it would (11 weeks and that included Xmas) and without burning in it was night and day better than the stock cable and just got better. The sound was clear as if it had been congested (especially in lower mids and upper bass - sorry if wrong terms) and the treble so much easier and natural.  I know some folks say cables make no difference and I do think there are somethings in ‘hi-fi’ which are not the easiest to prove (hi-res I’m talking about you - though that doesn’t stop me buying stuff in 24/192 just in case - but think about it I’m a middle age man who has listened to loud music for decades - how much above the dog’s frequency will I hear) but getting back to cables well if you want to tell if there is a difference go back  to the stock cable, then back to the custom one as many times as you like - the change isn’t subjective! 

Then an updated version of my DAP was released (with a 40% hike in price but still a third of A&K) and one of the main improvements was a balanced output so back my SilverWidow went to be re-terminated for 3.5 TRRS (at a very reasonable price) and back out came the stock cable! Lord it was a long couple of weeks -leaden is my best description of what it sounds like when you have become used to a good custom cable. Anyway my cable came back and the balanced output really is an improvement. I don’t understand the technicalities but it is a real step up…. for anyone considering spending over £3K on a A&K 380 I strongly urge you to try the Cowon Plenue S with a balanced cable (you will save yourself more than enough to get a LCD-X and SilverWidow22 (never mind 24)).

So I decided I would see about getting a cable for the 846 and contacted Frank - he asked what I wanted out of it and I said balanced and some control of the boomy bass the 846 can have and - whereas I had reckoned on SilverWidow he advised SilverPoison at a £90 saving! Now you know you are dealing with someone special when they advise you to spend less money with them!

Again the cables came quicker then estimated (it was only 9 weeks this time) and without a minutes burn in they are so much better than the Shure cable it is outrageous! Obviously some of this is going from Stock single ended to balanced but the change is bigger than going from SE to balanced on the LCD-X (which was itself a substantial improvement). I know the 846 isn’t very favoured on head-fi as it is the Montblanc of IEMs (but that isn’t to say Montblanc don’t make great fountain pens - they do, but there are more interesting ones out there) but listening to them connected with the SilverPoison balanced and it is hard to imagine how any IEM could sound better than this…

So buying custom cable has been a big big upgrade, buying from Frank has been a pure pleasure and if anyone is reading this as I was when I was considering whether to buy I can honestly say you can’t do better than deal with Frank.

I am sorry that my iphone photography is poor - the cables look a million times better in reality (particularly the SilverPoison which looks simply stunning)

so in the first one we have the SilverPoison meeting "Jack Straw" (no not the ex labour mp)

and in the second one we have the SilverWidow meeting 'Tom Sawyer' who is probably better known these days compared to 'Jack Straw'

I am sorry my photos do no justice at all to these marvellous cables

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #8,829 of 10,312
I'm in awe myself at my new SW24 TRRS cable too. I must admit I do eye up the SE846's a lot, but don't know if I can get them over the Noble K10's I also want.
LCD-X? Wow. Way out of my price league but nice cans!

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #8,831 of 10,312
  I got a portable DAP (Cowon Plenue P - not that well known in the west compared with all the A&K type stuff) and I quickly realised I needed something better than my 12 year old etymotic 4p (mind in terms of value they were probably the best bargain i’ve had) so I bought in quick succession shure 846 for commuting/travelling (I got them for a good price) and the Audeze LCD-X for listening at home… both were excellent “out of the box” and the 846 a stunning upgrade over the 4p. I also knew that “everyone” upgraded the cables so I lurked around on here and found the Toxic Cable thread (pretty hard to miss it)… since I am in Manchester (England not NH) I really liked the idea of buying something made here in Britain (I think it best to drop the UK bit since it isn’t really ‘united’ anymore - an irrelevant aside for most on this forum) and I read my way through the hundreds of pages. Initially I was worried about the comments about waiting 6 months, no communication and the occasional person saying cables “are snake oil”…well:

I contacted Frank, he replied, I asked his advice and moved up to the SilverWidow 24 for the LCD-X  well it arrived almost exactly when Frank said it would (11 weeks and that included Xmas) and without burning in it was night and day better than the stock cable and just got better. The sound was clear as if it had been congested (especially in lower mids and upper bass - sorry if wrong terms) and the treble so much easier and natural.  I know some folks say cables make no difference and I do think there are somethings in ‘hi-fi’ which are not the easiest to prove (hi-res I’m talking about you - though that doesn’t stop me buying stuff in 24/192 just in case - but think about it I’m a middle age man who has listened to loud music for decades - how much above the dog’s frequency will I hear) but getting back to cables well if you want to tell if there is a difference go back  to the stock cable, then back to the custom one as many times as you like - the change isn’t subjective! 

Then an updated version of my DAP was released (with a 40% hike in price but still a third of A&K) and one of the main improvements was a balanced output so back my SilverWidow went to be re-terminated for 3.5 TRRS (at a very reasonable price) and back out came the stock cable! Lord it was a long couple of weeks -leaden is my best description of what it sounds like when you have become used to a good custom cable. Anyway my cable came back and the balanced output really is an improvement. I don’t understand the technicalities but it is a real step up…. for anyone considering spending over £3K on a A&K 380 I strongly urge you to try the Cowon Plenue S with a balanced cable (you will save yourself more than enough to get a LCD-X and SilverWidow22 (never mind 24)).

So I decided I would see about getting a cable for the 846 and contacted Frank - he asked what I wanted out of it and I said balanced and some control of the boomy bass the 846 can have and - whereas I had reckoned on SilverWidow he advised SilverPoison at a £90 saving! Now you know you are dealing with someone special when they advise you to spend less money with them!

Again the cables came quicker then estimated (it was only 9 weeks this time) and without a minutes burn in they are so much better than the Shure cable it is outrageous! Obviously some of this is going from Stock single ended to balanced but the change is bigger than going from SE to balanced on the LCD-X (which was itself a substantial improvement). I know the 846 isn’t very favoured on head-fi as it is the Montblanc of IEMs (but that isn’t to say Montblanc don’t make great fountain pens - they do, but there are more interesting ones out there) but listening to them connected with the SilverPoison balanced and it is hard to imagine how any IEM could sound better than this…

So buying custom cable has been a big big upgrade, buying from Frank has been a pure pleasure and if anyone is reading this as I was when I was considering whether to buy I can honestly say you can’t do better than deal with Frank.

I am sorry that my iphone photography is poor - the cables look a million times better in reality (particularly the SilverPoison which looks simply stunning)

so in the first one we have the SilverPoison meeting "Jack Straw" (no not the ex labour mp)

and in the second one we have the SilverWidow meeting 'Tom Sawyer' who is probably better known these days compared to 'Jack Straw'

I am sorry my photos do no justice at all to these marvellous cables

Thank you for the great write up Leopold and your very nice comments.  I am really glad you are happy with the cables and service mate, i always do try my best.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #8,832 of 10,312
Website is back up, sorry to those that tried to order and found the site to be down and i appreciate your emails letting me know.

Hopefully the site should be working at it should now with no issues with checkout.

With a full team of staff now working on making your cables, our wait times is shorter then it has been in years, and with the decline of the Pound post Brexit, they are cheaper then they have ever been for those purchasing from outside the UK.

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #8,833 of 10,312
Hi all,
I want to be able to use my SW24 TRRS cable with my iPhone 6S+
Can I use 'any old' Female TRRS to Male TRS converter or does it have to be a certain type?
Thx,
Rich.

Jul 7, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #8,834 of 10,312
  Hi all,
I want to be able to use my SW24 TRRS cable with my iPhone 6S+
Can I use 'any old' Female TRRS to Male TRS converter or does it have to be a certain type?
Thx,
Rich.

Any one should work.

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #8,835 of 10,312
Finally received those awesome cables from Frank, now I almost have all cables from Toxic.

Silver widow 22/24, Black widow, Virus, Gold poison, and Crystal Piccolino.

My favorite is Crystal Piccolino :)

Thanks Frank, I don't know which cable left I should get from you? haha

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93828100@N00/albums/72157670697190076

Users who are viewing this thread

Back