Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 31, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #8,761 of 10,312
  I know this will seem like a silly question but I have 4ft Black Widow on order to replace the stock cable for my Shure SE846 - I can see the Black Widow is significantly thicker so the cable and 846 will no longer fit in the small travelling pouch which comes with the 846 - so does anyone have a recommendation for a smallish traveling case for 846 + Black Widow which takes the size and isn't too bulky... it will go in messenger bag or camera bag so doesn't need to be hard

I'm in UK so needs to be available here without too great postage/customs...

Any recommendations gratefully received 

anyone with any recommendations or suggestions?

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #8,762 of 10,312
Solution, wear the BW cable as a necklace.....Jewelry, always near when its time to hear...Just get rid of the bag....  
biggrin.gif

Seriously you have ordered a top cable. Surely that's  more important. If not just get yourself a slightly bigger bag...No big deal.  lol. Just enjoy....

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #8,763 of 10,312
  Solution, wear the BW cable as a necklace.....Jewelry, always near when its time to hear...Just get rid of the bag....  
biggrin.gif

Seriously you have ordered a top cable. Surely that's  more important. If not just get yourself a slightly bigger bag...No big deal.  lol. Just enjoy....

excellent!

yes i know it was a silly question - it is because it is a good cable and expensive IEM that I don't want them getting all scuffed in my bag - I just wondered whether anyone knew of a good third party case as all the ones I see on Amazon look fairly dire...

thanks anyway

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #8,764 of 10,312
  excellent!

yes i know it was a silly question - it is because it is a good cable and expensive IEM that I don't want them getting all scuffed in my bag - I just wondered whether anyone knew of a good third party case as all the ones I see on Amazon look fairly dire...

thanks anyway

I would suggest you check out some iem websites like JHA, Westone, and UE and look at their accessory lines.  They will sell cases that might interest you.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #8,765 of 10,312
Jun 1, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #8,766 of 10,312
I almost forgot about it, however this weekend an envelope from the UK was delivered to my door...

Toxic Cables sticker on the back...   
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Gorgeous looking cable, very very nicely made. The Hifiman connectors got me scared for a second, as they can rotate while mounted firmly, I've not seen that with my other two cables. I've not had much listening time yet, however the first impressions are very positive.

Thanks for the nice work and good service Frank! There is something to be said to have custom build parts. The unexpected surprice is very well worth the wait!

Some pictures...

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #8,767 of 10,312
Jun 1, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #8,768 of 10,312
  I would suggest you check out some iem websites like JHA, Westone, and UE and look at their accessory lines.  They will sell cases that might interest you.

stupidly it hadn't occurred to look at Westone or UE - UE have an 'ultimate road case' which may well be exactly what I am after...

thanks!

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #8,769 of 10,312
The cable looks really nice. 
I am currently interested in Silver Poison.
Would you mind sharing me its sound?
Thanks,
LT

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #8,770 of 10,312
  I almost forgot about it, however this weekend an envelope from the UK was delivered to my door...

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Gorgeous looking cable, very very nicely made. The Hifiman connectors got me scared for a second, as they can rotate while mounted firmly, I've not seen that with my other two cables. I've not had much listening time yet, however the first impressions are very positive.

Thanks for the nice work and good service Frank! There is something to be said to have custom build parts. The unexpected surprice is very well worth the wait!

Some pictures...

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Some pictures...

The cable looks really nice. 
I am currently interested in Silver Poison.
Would you mind sharing me its sound?
Thanks,
LT

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #8,772 of 10,312
I have used the search function in this thread (honest), but that didn't help me, so here goes: 

I need to replace my HD600's stock cable with something better. On the basis that only a mad man (or audiophile) would spend more on the cable than the headphones themselves, my start point is the entry level, but it's not clear what are the sound signature differences between the similarly priced Scorpion and Hybrid OCC.

As a general preference, I don't need to manipulate the tonal values of what I already have, but if pushed I'd rather go for a crisper, more open sound, than add any artificial warmth to the HD600s..
Aiming for about 9 feet in length and prefer light and flexible rather than stiff and heavy.

Secondly, as I am a mad audiophile, would going to the next level of either Black Widow or Silver Poison give a substantial uplift in performance? That the HD600's are resolving enough to easily differentiate?
And if so how do those compare in sound signature to the first two? 

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #8,773 of 10,312
  I have used the search function in this thread (honest), but that didn't help me, so here goes: 

I need to replace my HD600's stock cable with something better. On the basis that only a mad man (or audiophile) would spend more on the cable than the headphones themselves, my start point is the entry level, but it's not clear what are the sound signature differences between the similarly priced Scorpion and Hybrid OCC.

As a general preference, I don't need to manipulate the tonal values of what I already have, but if pushed I'd rather go for a crisper, more open sound, than add any artificial warmth to the HD600s..
Aiming for about 9 feet in length and prefer light and flexible rather than stiff and heavy.

Secondly, as I am a mad audiophile, would going to the next level of either Black Widow or Silver Poison give a substantial uplift in performance? That the HD600's are resolving enough to easily differentiate?
And if so how do those compare in sound signature to the first two? 

Even his lower priced cables are very well made and flexible.  I had great success with his Viper spc cable and the HD600, and I noticed a slight enhancement in clarity, but not any coloration or change in the tonal balance of the phones .  Sub bass is not the 600s strong suit, so I've always used a cable with copper to maximize bass response.  Lastly, the cable price vs. phone price is something that I also try to keep in relative balance. IMO.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #8,775 of 10,312

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Some pictures...

I have this "issue" with one of the sides of my hifiman cables and the voice cuts out on that side sometimes. I emailed Frank back and forth and after about 20 days from the first time I pm'd him, he asked to send the cable in for warranty. The cable was received last week, but no information on it yet after multiple PMs. I can only imagine how I'd feel about buying his more expensive cables and one of them failing on me, with such slow responses from his end. It was May 2nd when had first PMed him, and it's been a month, with me being without the cable. Wondering how long it would still take going forward till I actually get the cable back. Very disappointing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back