Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 22, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #8,746 of 10,312
Hello guys, looking for a bit of advice. I have a set of Westone W60 which is currently paired with a Forza Audio Works Copper Series IEM Mk2. The issue is two fold: firstly I would like slightly brighter highs, the detail is all there but it is a bit lower in the mix than I would like. Second, the cable is rather stiff, when I have the headphones plugged into my Mojo in my pocket it ends up curving in a manor that makes it stick out and occasionally get court on things because of its lack of flexibility.

Do you think that the Virus would be a good match for the issues I am having? Anyone experienced both cables and can comment on flexibility? Thanks in advance for any help.

May 22, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #8,747 of 10,312
Hello guys, looking for a bit of advice. I have a set of Westone W60 which is currently paired with a Forza Audio Works Copper Series IEM Mk2. The issue is two fold: firstly I would like slightly brighter highs, the detail is all there but it is a bit lower in the mix than I would like. Second, the cable is rather stiff, when I have the headphones plugged into my Mojo in my pocket it ends up curving in a manor that makes it stick out and occasionally get court on things because of its lack of flexibility.

Do you think that the Virus would be a good match for the issues I am having? Anyone experienced both cables and can comment on flexibility? Thanks in advance for any help.
two letters: SW... IN 22 OR 24 version

May 22, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #8,748 of 10,312
May 23, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #8,749 of 10,312
Thanks for the advice. The SW22 is a bit out of my price range tbh, I could stretch to it at a push but I am planning on getting a GTX 1080 next month so need to keep some funds aside for that. I think possibly that 22 might be a bit to thick for portable use; I use the headphones on the train every day and my current forza one is already a bit too stiff in my opinion. Anyone comment on flexibility? 

How would you say the SW24/22 and Virus compare audibly to each other as I really love the stripy look of the Virus.

On another note, can you get the cables either with right angled connectors on the headphone side or over moulded? I can't see any mention of this and I read over 100 pages of this forum today so far... 

May 23, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #8,750 of 10,312
  On another note, can you get the cables either with right angled connectors on the headphone side or over moulded? I can't see any mention of this and I read over 100 pages of this forum today so far... 

The wire on the IEM connectors is pre formed at an angle before shipping, but if you would prefer actual angled connectors, we do also stock these in black. There is a small extra charge for these, so if you would prefer these, just let me know.

May 23, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #8,751 of 10,312
  The wire on the IEM connectors is pre formed at an angle before shipping, but if you would prefer actual angled connectors, we do also stock these in black. There is a small extra charge for these, so if you would prefer these, just let me know.

Thanks for the quick reply, pre formed should be fine, basically the same and an angled connector anyway but just a bit more flexible. Any comment regarding flexibility and sound paring of the SW22/24 or Virus with the Westone W60? I look forward to purchasing from you in the very near future.

May 23, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #8,752 of 10,312

Thanks for the quick reply, pre formed should be fine, basically the same and an angled connector anyway but just a bit more flexible. Any comment regarding flexibility and sound paring of the SW22/24 or Virus with the Westone W60? I look forward to purchasing from you in the very near future.

As you are looking for the best flexibility and portability, i would suggest the SW24, it in thinner and more flexible then the 22, it also pairs better with the Westone i found then the Virus.

Just drop me an email/PM when ready.

May 26, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #8,754 of 10,312
May 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #8,755 of 10,312
I know this will seem like a silly question but I have 4ft Black Widow on order to replace the stock cable for my Shure SE846 - I can see the Black Widow is significantly thicker so the cable and 846 will no longer fit in the small travelling pouch which comes with the 846 - so does anyone have a recommendation for a smallish traveling case for 846 + Black Widow which takes the size and isn't too bulky... it will go in messenger bag or camera bag so doesn't need to be hard

I'm in UK so needs to be available here without too great postage/customs...

I already have Silver Widow 24 balanced between my LCD-X and DAP which is wonderful so I am really looking forward to the Black Widow... I think Frank's work is second to none and it is great to support someone here in England!

Any recommendations gratefully received 

May 31, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #8,756 of 10,312
I just got used Audeze LCD-2F and I am now looking for a replacement cable.
I am a big fan of Black Widow (currently using it with Alpha Dog and Hifiman HE-400). 
Its sound signature suits my taste. It supercharges my Alpha Dog and HE-400 with great impact and bass as well as gives nice midrange.

However, as I read through the thread, many suggests silver cable for Audeze. 
Therefore, I would be very welcome for advice whether the Black Widow 22 would be great with Audeze LCD-2F or I need silver cable (Silver Poison or Silver Widow) to get the best out of LCD-2. (I basically like the sound signature of LCD-2).

Thanks,
LT 

May 31, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #8,757 of 10,312
I am a big fan of Black Widow (currently using it with Alpha Dog and Hifiman HE-400). 
Its sound signature suits my taste. It supercharges my Alpha Dog and HE-400 with great impact and bass as well as gives nice midrange.

Therefore, I would be very welcome for advice whether the Black Widow 22 would be great with Audeze LCD-2F or I need silver cable (Silver Poison or Silver Widow) to get the best out of LCD-2. (I basically like the sound signature of LCD-2).

Thanks,
LT 

My suggestion is SW22. It's magical with my LCDs, though they are the classic ones. :)

May 31, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #8,758 of 10,312
I have the Silver Widow 24 and use it with my LCD-X -- after burning in it removed the slightly 'sludgy' quality the stock cable brought to the LCD-X opening up the mid-highs at the expense of a little bass weight... when I had Frank re-terminate it for balanced connection the better connection to the DAP brought back the bass and kept the better top end... I don't know how much better the 22 is compared with the 24 but I would expect you will get a little better of everything... and if your system allows for a balanced output get Frank to do this for you as a properly terminated cable is in a different universe compared with adding converters to the end

May 31, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #8,759 of 10,312

Thanks,
LT 

I have the SW22 that I use with the LCD-2F, and it is a great sounding match, particularly in the upper registers.  Highs are clear and non sibilant, with smooth mids, though you do lose a tiny bit of the sub bass. Bass is very tight with no bleeding into the lower mids at all, however.   I also use a DHC Complement 4 fusion, which is a silver/copper litz cable, and it does a slightly better job of  bringing out the sub bass and bass in general, though there is not quite the crystal clarity in the treble you get with the SW22.  Vocals are slightly recessed with the SW22 compared to the Complement 4.  Both are really great cables, but the SW22 is much less expensive, so that's a big plus.  If the bass impact is what you are looking for, maybe the black widow is the one to look at, though I have not auditioned that cable.  I'm using both balanced through a Liquid Carbon and Hugo, btw.  IMO.

May 31, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #8,760 of 10,312
@Kiats, @Igreen666, @fiascogarcia - Thank you for your advice.

At the moment, SW22 is beyond my budget because I just bought the BW22 for my Alpha Dog and used Audeze LCD-2F.
In fact, I just got the beautiful BW22 for my Alpha Dog today. (Frank made me special Alpha Dog connectors)
They are beautiful. You can judge it by yourself.

Sonically, with the BW22, my Alpha Dog has got supercharged with more impacts, energy with great bass. The midrange is also gorgeous. 
Overall, the sound is so exciting, enticing, explosive, alive and very fun to listen to. 
My Alpha Dog never sounds better than this.

That is why I am wondering whether the BW22 could do magic with LCD-2F. I really love the exciting, explosiveness and energetic presentation of the BW22.
I don't know the SW22 or SP would have the same explosiveness of the BW22.
From what I read, I think SW22 will do wonder for treble and clarity.
With limited budget, would SP be better than BW22 with LCD-2?
So, anyone has direct experience with Audeze LCD-2 and BW22 or comparison between BW22 and SP?
Your advice would be very welcome and appreciated. 

Frank, thank you for your excellent communications and making such a great cable sonically and aesthetically.

LT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back