Tower listening stations headphones?
May 12, 2009 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Dusty Chalk

Head-Fi-holic: With headphones would just be a benny.
Does anyone (presumably someone who worked there) remember what kind of headphones Tower had at their listening stations? I tried searching, but most of the results for "listening station" ended up being about music, not the headphones (as it should be!).

May 12, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 24
Kinda "standard", for lack of better term -- all black, closed...kind of like the Beyer DT250...

May 12, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 24
That might be the MB Quart QP 805 HS, aka German Maestro GMP 8.300. MB Quart it seems don't sell headphones now, German Maestro it seems still have these, and they sell under other brand names too.

I just got some on ebay for just £17 delivered (the price of these seems to be all over the place from about $200 down... but £17...!) - I got the MB Quart labeled ones, sold as new, but they haven't arrived yet... Fingers crossed they're ok and sound alright too. I have some Beyer DT990 pros that I can compare them to so I could post some impressions when they arrive.

Here are some labeled dbi pro-705:

headphones1.jpg

May 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 24
Yeah, for 17 pounds, they're worth trying, and I remember reading a review of MB Quart headphones several years ago that was very positive.

But I don't think they were MB Quarts, especially now after seeing them. I remember the earpieces being more rounded-off-rectangular/ovalish.

But I don't think they were the Beyer DT250's, as the pads were plastic (not even pleather -- but flat, unbreathing plastic) -- that would be the first thing I would change.

On second thought, maybe they were round, but maybe they were smaller. I certainly don't remember the accordian-style pole-protector.

Maybe they had different models at different stores? That would suck, I really want to know what they had at the specific store I went to the most.

May 12, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as the pads were plastic (not even pleather -- but flat, unbreathing plastic) .

Argh. What's next? Sandpaper pads. They'd make grados with bowls seem like a dream to wear.

May 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 24
My local Barnes and Noble uses incredibly crappy Koss phones that must have cost $5 each. Hard to even get a rough idea of what the music sounds like on those (plus one channel often goes out on them, leaving unlistenable one-sided mono.)

May 12, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My local Barnes and Noble uses incredibly crappy Koss phones that must have cost $5 each. Hard to even get a rough idea of what the music sounds like on those (plus one channel often goes out on them, leaving unlistenable one-sided mono.)

o my lol. just was in one last night and listened to a one channel working koss td-85

and dbi uses the mb quart housing but with their own speakers

May 13, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they had different models at different stores? That would suck, I really want to know what they had at the specific store I went to the most.

Perhaps I've missed something, but why not call them up and ask?

May 13, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and dbi uses the mb quart housing but with their own speakers

[citation needed]

May 13, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[citation needed]

Email from somewhere. Search DBI Pro 705. It's around here somewhere. I'm lazy, sorry. (lol, I guess I should be searching instead of typing this explanation to why I'm not... I hate waiting 30 seconds...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back