1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

TOUR: MHDT Labs Stockholm V2 NOS DAC tour! PCM56P-J R2R D/A chips, Bendix 2C51 Tube, 24/192 input

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next

Last
  1. Soundsgoodtome
    Hahaha I almost lost my tea to the keyboard with the record player on the dash. The red in the car do the paint work justice on the pic, this is the first I've seen that one-off. I thought your avatar photo was a prototype or Photoshop or something.

The Fiat Abarth, turbo and about the size of an mr2. Bet that's a ton of fun!!

2. Torq

This was the first DAC where sensitivity to the USB source was an obvious factor (in general I don't use USB for audio). But I was surprised, nonetheless, as to how sensitive to the USB interface this DAC was, so I have to agree with your comments as they apply to the Stockholm 2.

With Yggradsil I found AES/EBU sounded best, then COAX/Toslink (tied) and finally USB. I've only tried Wyrd, Regen and Recovery with Yggys USB input and didn't hear any difference there (YMMV), but that's not to say that something on the level of the Mutec devices wouldn't yield a benefit there.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
  3. jaywillin

i think it'll be safe to say, my $.02 will not be so quite "in-depth" !

4. Soundsgoodtome
    No worries Jay, just wanted you to try this with the LPS PS3. The Paradisea/PS3 combo was great when I had it, this should be no different if not better.

5. JoeDoe
    Just updating the tour: DAC has arrived in Florence and everything seems to be good to go. I should be getting some quality time with it this evening and then I'll bring it with me to the Music City Meet tomorrow. 

Should be good to compare it to the Rega, WA7, and my recently re-acquired Mojo!

6. jerick70
    It's to bad I missed this tour.  I would have very much liked to experience the Stockholm.  

Where can I listen to one of these?  I'm in Utah.

7. JoeDoe
    Couple of shots from the Music City Meet this weekend. Please excuse the gross lighting - if you check out the meet's impressions thread, everyone was at the mercy of the yellow tint as we were in a community gymnasium!

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

Luckbad likes this.
  8. Soundsgoodtome
    I saw the green photos, I thought people had their filters on until it was on everyone's pics! Cool stuff Joe

9. RCBinTN
    Damn, how the H**L did I miss that rig at the meet?

10. JoeDoe
    Haha, it was set up at my table the whole time!

11. ruthieandjohn
    Any early impressions from @JoeDoe on the Stockholm 2?

12. JoeDoe
    Initial impressions are good. To these ears, the midrange is a little more forward than what would be considered 'neutral.' That's going from the Mojo.

I've also been doing a little A/Bing between the onboard DAC of my WA7tp and feeding the MHDT into the WA7's amp section. So far... can't hear a lick of difference!

13. Soundsgoodtome

The differences in everyone's gear and how the DAC sounds is all over the board, it's very interesting at the different impressions everyone's giving. Which tube are you using at the moment?

14. grizzlybeast
    I had Cayin's new DAC here for review. A very clean sounding unit. And while I like it a lot and think its a good product it only confirms my new found taste for R2R NOS. That midrange you mention had some depth to it that I didn't notice at first but later on was very easy to tell after some time. I noticed it most with my Trafomatic Head 2

15. JoeDoe
    Alright folks, stay tuned, completed impressions and comparos will be posted tomorrow night...

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next

Last