TOUR CLOSED - CUSTOMART US CIEM Demo Lineup Tour - Including Harmony 8 Pro
Jan 13, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #181 of 533
I live in Beijing, East Coast (of the number one super power). I want to participate in the tour but just send the H8P please.

Hey Mim, I would love to include you in the tour to hear your thoughts given your impressive lineup of CIEMs and DAPs to test them with. Maybe we can talk Peter into shipping back the demos via China? Feel free to PM him and I to discuss.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #182 of 533
  Hey Mim, I would love to include you in the tour to hear your thoughts given your impressive lineup of CIEMs and DAPs to test them with. Maybe we can talk Peter into shipping back the demos via China? Feel free to PM him and I to discuss.

No don't worry, I was just kidding. Thanks for the thought.

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #183 of 533
CustomArt demo tour review and observations by Hisoundfi

I stumbled across the CustomArt demo tour by chance. I can’t thank @Barra and @piotrus-g enough for the opportunity to sample these great products. Also, a big thank you to comradery of the Head-Fi people and community for being a platform for things like this tour. Cheers to all of you guys!

To start this review, please allow me to share a little bit about myself so you can better understand my observations. I AM NOT an audiophile or sound engineer. Personal audio enthusiast? Absolutely! Headphone junkie? Possibly… I’m sure my wife would say so, especially after spending as much time as I have with the gems on this demo tour!

There’s something about high quality DAPs, amplifiers, and headphones that intrigues me, ESPECIALLY if they can be had for low prices. You see, I’m a budget fi guy. I’m the type that buys the $5 to $350 headphone or IEM that looks promising, in hopes that I can find that one gem that can compete with the big boys of this industry. If you look at my profile and inventory you will see I have purchased many, and I mean MANY different headphones ranging from $4 all the way up to $400. For me, it’s been more about getting great price to performance ratio, and hearing a variety of different gears with diverse signatures. With this hobby, we usually pay a lot of money for very minor improvements. One thing I’ve learned is that price DOES NOT always indicate good sound quality.

I can appreciate different signatures as long as they are presented in a way that is pleasing to my ears.  Long story short, I’m just someone who’s looking for great audio at a great price. I’m after headphones and IEMs that give me that “WOW” factor. I am starting to dabble into the mid-fi range of IEMs and headphones, and am seriously considering getting a multi driver custom IEM like the Harmony Pro8. This demo gives me an opportunity to try some really good mid-fi customs and a top of the line model. Awesome!

The CustomArt demo tour consists of 4 demo IEMS. I will not include pictures of the demos because honestly, that would not do them any justice, as they are built as demos and do not depict the actual appearance that the custom in ear monitors would actually look like. I will however provide a link to their website so you can see each model as they should look. The materials each one is made from is very high quality, and seems as though it would hold up well.

http://www.thecustomart.com/index.php

Isolation, seal, and ergonomics will not be mentioned as these are universal sample models of what are to be sold as custom IEMs.

For those who are yet to partake in the demo, it is a challenge finding a tip that will work well with the Music One, Music Two, and Pro 330v2. However, once a good seal was achieved, you will able to appreciate them for what they were. These are all fantastically tuned IEMs, with something to offer just about anyone.

Please not that different impedances make each model sound different. To keep this review from rambling on and on, we will keep things simple. I have two amplifiers with different impedances hooked up to my laptop. One is a FIIO E18 DAC/AMP running via USB. It is running 24 bit, 96000 Hz, with an output impedance of <0.3. My other amplifier is a Bravo Audio Ocean running through the 3.5 mm jack at 24 bit, 192000 Hz via my laptop’s soundcard. The Bravo Audio Ocean runs higher at 20~600 Ohm.

Google music was used at its highest quality download and streaming setting (320 kbp).

I used my usual same songs for testing gear…

“Limit to your love” by James Blake
“One” by Metallica
“Madness” by Muse
“Get Lucky” by Daft Punk
“Some Nights” by Fun
“The Soundmaker” by Rodrigo y Gabriela
“Basically” by Tei Shi
“One” by Ed Sheeran
“Outlands” from the Tron Legacy Soundtrack
“Sultans of Swing” by Dire Straits

Music One (Single BA)

“WOW" was first words out of my mouth after giving them a ten minute first impression listen. I laughed at the idea of a single BA driver warranting a custom mold and be sold for over $200. After a fair amount of time with them, I am happy to say that I was foolish in my assumption. They are the best sounding single BA I have ever experienced. They have balanced armature accuracy, with a dynamic-ish tuning that is smooth, balanced, and fun to listen to for hours. These ARE NOT bass cannons, but give enough bass presence that it doesn’t necessarily feel like things are missing down low. I find these most enjoyable with rock music. The thing about these that really stands out is the balance. There’s nothing missing. Nothing smears during complex music passages. I enjoyed these mostly with the lower impedance source. With a higher impedance source, the highs got a little bright and splashy, and bass was less present.

Pros: Balanced, smooth, accurate, amazing tuning for a single BA driver

Cons: Imaging could be better. Sub bass layer could be more present. Sound isn’t that great with higher impedance devices IMHO (bright and lacking bass)

Music Two (Dual armature drivers)

The music two is an upgrade to the Music One, in that it improves on all of the cons I listed on them. It sounds good with both high and low impedance sources (slight edge to higher impedance). Bass is more present as compared to the Music One, and imaging is really good. These definitely have a better sense of space in comparison to the Music One.

Bass is fantastic with this model. There is a sub layer that extends, has great tone, and is fast in attack and decay. It is by no means the typical armature bass. It has a dynamic sound with armature speed. It is very, very good.

The Music Two has a V-signature. The sense I get is that the midrange is NOT recessed, but more that there is a slight boost in both the bass and treble. Midrange is crystal clear, and there is not a gap in sound between the tuning of the two BA drivers. They are still relatively balanced in comparison to other V-signature gear I’ve listened to in the past.

Treble is crisp and clean. I really enjoy the decay of cymbals (really well done for an armature). The only drawback is that sometimes I get a harshly pronounced S or cymbal crash when I have them turned up at high volumes with a low impedance source. Please note that I am somewhat sensitive to treble. The treble response is spot on with higher impedance. I didn’t get any sense of things being too sharp with my higher impedance amplifier.

I didn’t necessarily find these as lacking in any musical genre, as they play everything well. For a V-signature, I especially enjoyed them with acoustic and instrumental music.

Pros: Bass is solid. Imaging is awesome. Very dynamic sound. Very good clarity and separation. Great sense of space. Great soundstage depth and height. Sounds great with a warm source.

Cons: Treble can get hot for some. V-signature isn’t for everyone. Low impedance and brighter sources could make treble seem harsh.

Pro 330v2 (Triple armature drivers)

I honestly didn’t find this one to be an upgrade to the Music Two. This model seemed to be more balanced than the Music Two, but I felt like I lost the great imaging, separation, and sense of space that the the dual driver BA offered. Did it sound great? Absolutely! However, it honestly didn’t impress me the same way the Music Two did. Treble seemed a touch recessed and bass jumped forward with a higher impedance source. Treble jumped forward and bass took a step back with less impedance. I preferred the sound of the lower powered source with the Pro 330v2.

The thing I did really like about these is there was sense of smoothness and control that was very pleasant. I really like the balance these had. I got every detail each track had to offer with a smooth finish. The treble had a nice crisp attack without being overly harsh. This model seemed to be more like the Music One with an added Bass layer. These are tuned in a way that makes them great for long listening sessions.

Bass is plentiful. James Blake’s “Limit to your Love” track displays the bass prowess these have. It is along the same lines as the Music Two in terms of quantity, but with more balance. The attack and decay was excellent.

Midrange is more forward than the Music Two, and the one word that comes to mind is smooth. Again, balance is phenomenal.

Treble has a nice snap to it. Cymbals were very smooth. I did notice a treble spike that gave each track a nice crispness. Also, one thing I noticed was the treble did seem just a hair metallic sounding to my ears.

Of all the IEMs that came in the package, this would be one I enjoyed, but enjoyed the least. They are great IEMs but they aren’t my cup of tea.

Pros: Smooth and balanced. Two different sounds depending on source impedance (could be considered good or bad). Very controlled in all frequencies. Great for long listening sessions.

Cons: Didn’t seem as open, airy, or resolving as the Music Two. Treble seemed metallic sounding to my ears.

Harmony Pro8 (8 armature drivers)

Where do I start with these? Well, for one I will say that these are the best piece of audio gear I’ve ever had the pleasure of experiencing. You could literally take all of the Pros and positive comments I’ve mentioned so far with the other demo units, delete any Cons I’ve mentioned, and there you have it, the Harmony Pro8!

Soundstage is wide with great depth and height. Resolution is out of this world. It is tilted towards a warmer signature with a crisp finish that doesn’t EVER get too sharp. Lower impedance sources give this thing a clinical presentation with breathtaking resolution and just a hint of warmth through the bass and midrange. My Bravo Audio Ocean gives this gem a warm and sweet sound that is literally the most addicting sound signature I’ve ever heard. Separation is the best I’ve ever experienced. Guitars chug, kick drums kick, Vocals shine, cymbals shimmer, and when it’s all playing at the same time, you don’t lose a single bit of resolution. They can play any genre of music and make it sound great. This is the type of IEM that would make me dig up my entire collection and listen to it all over again.

Bass is spot on. Quantity is enough to provide a thump and rumble that never gets fatiguing. It extends deep and with lightning fast attack and decay. There is no bleed to even consider. It’s balanced and there doesn’t seem to be any lower frequency that sticks out. It’s tight, controlled, warm, and fast all at the same time.

Midrange is tilted toward being warm, and is very controlled, with phenomenal separation and imaging. There is a perfect amount of timbre. Trust me guys, I wish I could say I find a fault in these but I can’t. I want to split hairs with these but it’s not possible for me to do this. It’s the perfect combination of warmth, clarity, imaging and resolution IMHO.

Treble is crisp without crossing that fine line of becoming harsh. It’s defined and has great separation. Again, nothing is smeared whatsoever.

Maybe I say this because I haven’t heard very many custom IEMs. Either way, I pop these gems in and feel myself transform into a trans-dimensional space goat that lives in a magical new world of audiophile paradise, eating organic grasses made of the finest music notes as I trot along the sound prairie (I hope that made someone laugh). Seriously though guys, this is a whole new realm of sound quality that I am unfamiliar with. To be honest it makes most of my previously purchased gear sound like I wasted my money. If anything this definitely confirms that I need to start saving for a custom, and it will most likely end up being the Harmony Pro8.

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing (Except price)

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #184 of 533
Jan 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #187 of 533
The East Coast kit was mailed to @tskinner3 this morning.

Thanks again for the opportunity to participate. This was an awesome experience!

Guess who's next on the list? 
tongue_smile.gif

I had an awesome time giving the H8P a listen when i was back in Taiwan. Very excited to hear them again and deciding on which CIEM I'll be going into next! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #189 of 533
Very nice review!!   Nicely detailed with no real sibilance, Ah, LOL!!  

At first I didn't understand your concern about impedence with amps cause I don't do desktop yet....  but my Tralucent T1 is too strong to be used with my FAD Heaven, which is very low impedence(I do believe).   Yes, I do love BA's now, FAD uses one BA in many of their IEMs and are able to get incredible sound including bass.   My old DBA02 had killer mids and highs, but didn't cut the bass, so I went to the GR07 for the bass.(but that's another story)   I currently have the FX850 with a dynamic driver and despite the FAD not having the pros of technical merits of the JVC, I just dig the presentation of the FAD, with very quick responses from the BA.   I'm trying to find a very wealthy Headfier to buy the Pro8 then sell it to me for around $600 because I'm "such a good friend",    Actually, how about that teddy bear fellow in China????  Micky Mouse something???
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #194 of 533
Ok, so I've given all of these a listen now. I listened to alternative, classical, classic rock, electronic, metal, and progressive rock using my Fiio X5 as the source.

Out of the three lower priced models, I personally like M2 > M1 > 330P.

To my ears, all share a clear, crisp sound signature with varying degree of bass extension and mid presence. I'm getting a bit of sibilance with all three with foams and silicon ear tips.

M1 sounds really good with rock music. Drums sound punchy. Guitars have crunch and bite. Cymbals are crisp. Vocals sound natural. Overall, head are a good all-rounder for someone who listens to music with acoustic or amplified instruments. Personally, I'd like more bass extension for electronic music, though.

And that's where M2 comes in. It takes the M2 sound signature and brings the bass. If I had to choose between the three lower priced CIEM, it would be M2 without a question. It's a good all-rounder for all types of music I listened to.

Not a big fan of the 330P, though. Seems like it took the M1 sound up a notch in the high end to my ears, which made it more analytical and fatiguing. I found this one was the worst offender for exaggerating sibilance.

I'm still wrapping my head around the H8P and will update later. At first listen, the soundstage sounded distant and (for lack of a better word) "diluted". This is more prominent in some some tracks, but I haven't nailed down a pattern yet. I've listened to a few other mid to high end demo CIEM (1964EARS & Heir), and the soundstage is interpreted differently with H8P than the others I've listened to. I'm getting accustomed to their interpretation of soundstage as I listen, but it's not quite gelling with me yet. I'm also not getting as much bass with H8O as compared with the M2 out of my X5. I think I might need to try amping them and will try them with my Cayin C5 and E12 DIY with HA5002 + OPA627 tomorrow.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #195 of 533
Ok, so I've given all of these a listen now. I listened to alternative, classical, classic rock, electronic, metal, and progressive rock using my Fiio X5 as the source.

Out of the three lower priced models, I personally like M2 > M1 > 330P.

To my ears, all share a clear, crisp sound signature with varying degree of bass extension and mid presence. I'm getting a bit of sibilance with all three with foams and silicon ear tips.

M1 sounds really good with rock music. Drums sound punchy. Guitars have crunch and bite. Cymbals are crisp. Vocals sound natural. Overall, head are a good all-rounder for someone who listens to music with acoustic or amplified instruments. Personally, I'd like more bass extension for electronic music, though.

And that's where M2 comes in. It takes the M2 sound signature and brings the bass. If I had to choose between the three lower priced CIEM, it would be M2 without a question. It's a good all-rounder for all types of music I listened to.

Not a big fan of the 330P, though. Seems like it took the M1 sound up a notch in the high end to my ears, which made it more analytical and fatiguing. I found this one was the worst offender for exaggerating sibilance.

I'm still wrapping my head around the H8P and will update later. At first listen, the soundstage sounded distant and (for lack of a better word) "diluted". This is more prominent in some some tracks, but I haven't nailed down a pattern yet. I've listened to a few other mid to high end demo CIEM (1964EARS & Heir), and the soundstage is interpreted differently with H8P than the others I've listened to. I'm getting accustomed to their interpretation of soundstage as I listen, but it's not quite gelling with me yet. I'm also not getting as much bass with H8O as compared with the M2 out of my X5. I think I might need to try amping them and will try them with my Cayin C5 and E12 DIY with HA5002 + OPA627 tomorrow.

Did you get sibilance from 330? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back