TOUR CLOSED - CUSTOMART US CIEM Demo Lineup Tour - Including Harmony 8.2 and Ei.XX
Sep 1, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #196 of 246
After more listening I realized that the treble isn't so balanced as much as I prefer. I know that Diana Krall's voice can have sharp sibilance, and with the 8.2, it sounds more significant, and it's likely due to upper treble being suppressed a bit(like I've mentioned it's not bright or dark, and it doesn't push to the point of being considered forward majority of the lower treble section). This is also a reason that the violin string sounds sharp, but lacking a bit of body.

So, depending on the recording, like my example being Diana Krall, the treble can sound uneven due to certain parts of the lower treble being lowered, but this also suppresses from harshness, but not sharpness. I think the sharpness is there to have some backbone in the treble area, but depending on what kind of sound it is, and if for example the recording has pronounced sibilance in that part, it can sound a bit sharp.

So, the treble isn't completely easy going across the whole lower treble region, but majority except the region that can cause sharp sounds.

This is just some additional info that should have been in the previous review.
interesting notes, what ear tips do you use? because I think this is the first report of 8.2 highs being sharp

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #197 of 246
Although not relevant for the H8.2, I just realised that I am of course not using the stock cable and although Eric told me the Eline smooths treble, I always felt it added more sparkle. I even went back to the stock cable a while ago and found that to give a smoother, slight warmer and more intimate sound.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #198 of 246
interesting notes, what ear tips do you use? because I think this is the first report of 8.2 highs being sharp

I use a eartip that is just about enough to fit the 4 bores in the tip's canal. It's very smilar to Spiral Dots, and olive type firm silicones which I find to be most ideal for most. I find them to be the absolute best for majority of the iems I've listened to. I can try more tip rolling, but also I have pretty extensive experience in tips rolling myself from prior iems listened to. Any specific recommendation? I would think there is no absolute correct, but some degree of preference of the listener.

As far as the sharp term. Like I've stated, I've noticed it on Diana Krall vocals which the track has sibilance level that is above typical recordings, but since I'm so familiar with the recording, I have an idea how much it should be empahsized. Depending on the iems that part can sound excessive or suppressed(or at any level), and this depends on relativity to the rest of the treble level how accentuated it sounds. I call that part sharp, but probably not the most precise way to put it.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #199 of 246
I would think there is no absolute correct
While that's true for universal fit IEMs in general that's not really correct for demo which supposed to be showing as close response to actual custom as possible. My recommendation is either dual flange or triple flange - both of those give about exact response of the custom unit with dual flange being the closest representation of custom Harmony 8.2

As far as the sharp term. Like I've stated, I've noticed it on Diana Krall vocals which the track has sibilance level that is above typical recordings, but since I'm so familiar with the recording, I have an idea how much it should be empahsized. Depending on the iems that part can sound excessive or suppressed(or at any level), and this depends on relativity to the rest of the treble level how accentuated it sounds. I call that part sharp, but probably not the most precise way to put it.
Sure I understand, it's just surprising considering that would be the first report of sharp treble in 8.2 in over a year that Harmony 8.2 are on the market :)

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #201 of 246
Tips make a huge difference with the demo units, because the nozzle is very short and very thick that you really have to stretch most tips. I struggled with getting a good seal and my audition short due to scheduling conflicts. But some of the descriptions I read here don't describe what I heard, so I know there was something wrong, but even from the bad tips, the highs never sounded sharp. And I'm very sensitive with treble.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #202 of 246
I'll have to agree with eldss. I heard no such treble peaking in my tests while auditioning the tour demo pair. See my mini review on the top of page 12 of this thread.

Sep 13, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #203 of 246
I listened tot he demo unit and now have my custom Harmony 8.2. Large difference because of tight fit with the customs. The bass has obviously improved because of excellent fit. The quantity and quality is awesome now. Highs have also improved a bit.

The soundstage is good. But not too wide. Not too deep. The sound also is a little dark. It would have been nice to a little more brightness and some extension in the treble. But despite those minor quibbles, this iem is awesome sounding with details and that vocals. Good hob Piotr. dreaming what this would be with FIBAE.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #204 of 246
I listened tot he demo unit and now have my custom Harmony 8.2. Large difference because of tight fit with the customs. The bass has obviously improved because of excellent fit. The quantity and quality is awesome now. Highs have also improved a bit.

The soundstage is good. But not too wide. Not too deep. The sound also is a little dark. It would have been nice to a little more brightness and some extension in the treble. But despite those minor quibbles, this iem is awesome sounding with details and that vocals. Good hob Piotr. dreaming what this would be with FIBAE.
Thanks for input and comparison with demo. Enjoy your Harmonies!

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #209 of 246

Users who are viewing this thread

Back