TOUR CLOSED - 64 Audio US CIEM Demo Tour - Tia Fourte' and U18 Tzar >>> Starting May 2017
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #676 of 813
Short impressions. I prefer the Tzar over the Forte. I do like BA bass when done in good quantity, in which Tzar achieves.

Forte sounds a bit veiled in comparison to Tzar. Tzar has the treble sparkle that is needed for the more forwarded detailing and resolvability.

Tzar is airy and has a rather large sound stage in comparison to the Forte.

Tzar is clear sounding and I really cannot pinpoint any mids unclaritywhich is important to me. The bass is a bit rounded in nature than more on the defined side, but good quantity and provides slam for those like to feel it.

Ample weight to the sounds if that is a concern for others.

I think it's quite balanced. What I mean by balanced, there doesn't seem to be noticible frequency discontinuity or sounding uneven, mids have the appropriate level of presence, and bass does not overwhelm the mids clarity.

Could be considered warm for those that isn't into bass quantity, but I find it's necessary to bring naturalness, create ambiance, and bring weight to notes.

I can see why 1964 catagorizes Tzar as linear compared to the others like the Forte. I'd consider Tzar reference sounding, but not clinical.

I felt the same way “at first” until I sent the loaner Fourte back after auditioning them for a while. Once returned back to 64audio I was informed something was wrong with the tuning of the trial pair and when I got my own Fourte pair there’s definitely a big difference. They’re just as clear as Tzar but with more body/weight, a little bit more intimate than Tzar which is why Tzar is more airy... details definitely stick out more with Fourte....

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #677 of 813
I felt the same way “at first” until I sent the loaner Fourte back after auditioning them for a while. Once returned back to 64audio I was informed something was wrong with the tuning of the trial pair and when I got my own Fourte pair there’s definitely a big difference. They’re just as clear as Tzar but with more body/weight, a little bit more intimate than Tzar which is why Tzar is more airy... details definitely stick out more with Fourte....

That’s wild. They just told you straight up they were broken tuning wise? The Tia Forte pair I had had something wrong with the right two pin socket, likely from being used so much on tours and demos.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #678 of 813
Have those issues been fixed on the Fourtes that are currently in circulation on the tour?

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #679 of 813
That’s wild. They just told you straight up they were broken tuning wise? The Tia Forte pair I had had something wrong with the right two pin socket, likely from being used so much on tours and demos.

Yep, she listened to them after receiving them and noticed something was off about them. I honestly couldn’t really tell the Tzar/Fourte apart if ever so slightly. She took them to the lab and they told her there was something wrong with the tuning, the right side did have something loose inside because it would rattle a little whenever they were shook with a little bit of force.

My trial pair wasn’t nearly as detailed as my personal pair.. maybe cause they’re new but there’s a huge difference with my new pair.. so much so I couldn’t really listen for more than an hour... the energy they have was a overwhelming. I let them burn in for 40hrs and theyre bit better...

Relaxing on the beach in Long Beach California... the life..... with my Fourte ECB035CB-7357-4EF6-908A-26C3BA599977.jpeg

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #680 of 813
Have those issues been fixed on the Fourtes that are currently in circulation on the tour?

My trial pair wasn’t part of the tour...

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #681 of 813
I’m sure it was addressed as soon as the issue was reported. No manufacturer wants a defective product circulating on a tour. 64 Audio has been very quick to address any issues and has been very responsive to inquiries. With that said they have also been very understanding and patient with the setbacks so many thanks to them and to @Barra.

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #682 of 813
My trail pair wasn’t part of the tour...

Might have misunderstood, brain fart on my part!

I’m sure it was addressed as soon as the issue was reported. No manufacturer wants a defective product circulating on a tour. 64 Audio has been very quick to address any issues and has been very responsive to inquiries. With that said they have also been very understanding and patient with the setbacks so many thanks to them and to @Barra.
Agreed.

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #684 of 813
The bass on the forte isn't signficant as the Tzar. I think the Forte's bass maybe more natural in nature, but it sounds to me a warm sig in general. I think there is more upper bass presence, and possibly the decline in Frequency Response toward the highs(which is how 1964 characertizes it as)

Forte has more of a mid presence as well. Forte of the two has the more of a body to the sounds. Tzar sounds clear due to mids not being prominent in comparison, but the presence portion of the treble being more present and the upper treble being lifted a bit to create an airy sound sig.

Tonality of the tuning of both are obviously different.

If would draw up a FR graph based on what I hear. Tzar would have slight rise in the upper treble and linear below that down until hits the mid bass, and rises.

For the Forte, not as much of rise to the bass, but sustains to the mids area, and then drops a bit toward as reaching the highs in the presence region and beyond.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #685 of 813
Above impressions were out of the AK240 and Opus #2. I will have to add that source makes a difference in tonality. Forte's highs sound more prominent with the Mojo.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #686 of 813
I think the black gummy type foam are pretty good tips(at least for the U18t). I think it supresses the lower treble of the Tzar a bit so that it doesn't get too sibilant(or create an even-ness with a peak treble area or bright spot in the spectrum). With these tips, mids and highs work quite will on the Tzar, but I think it's partially(at least) responsible for the rounded bass sound. The seal from it of course increase the bass a bit interestingly compared to my symbio manderines which are silicone surface(but this is likely due to seal/fit of the tips).

I always thought well sealed silicone tips would provide greater bass presence compared to foam, but these foam are different from what we are used to as it's denser than what we conventionally call foam, but not as reflective like silicone. I think these types of foam are must have for collections, but I think the more of a spherical shape would be much better with the same material(I think it would provide the best seal in comparison, more pressure when compressed in the ear due to more volume).

Materials of the surface of the tips makes a difference in sound.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #687 of 813
Something interesting I'd note about the Tzar is the tuning. It seems to have sufficient warmth, and provides it without compromising mids clarity. It does this without increase the treble too much. Too much warmth or uncontrolled bass can mess up the mids clarity. I'm using the word warmth in consideration of those find neutral to be stripped out any body to sound IMO. What that does is, it tend to make the treble sounds a bit boosted or pushes toward analytical(or unnatural).

I find that mids to highs to be pretty balanced level.

I tried different tips, I guess bass is a bit rounded. It sounds like it impacts and than it decays softly spherically to visualize it, not toward the natural side.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #688 of 813
I would concur also on the black foam tips. The medium fit me very well, and in some regards better than the Comply’s of which I purchase.

Overall the two are stunning units, which do cost a pretty penny. One should not feel bad for wanting then purchasing said products.

On a side note, I will be unable to send #2 to @fuhransahis until Monday, due to school/family obligations. I will at minimum do two-day guaranteed delivery. Apologies regarding the delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back