TOUR CLOSED - 64 Audio US CIEM Demo Tour - Tia Fourte' and U18 Tzar >>> Starting May 2017
Aug 8, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #228 of 813
ranting, I let him know about it a couple days back when you first posted it. I think he's been pretty busy lately since I haven't heard back from him regarding my emails to him lately. I'm sure we'll hear back soon.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #229 of 813
Aug 8, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #230 of 813
Good news! 64 Audio will be overnight shipping a replacement U18 to me on Thursday. I'll audition them over the weekend then get the entire kit onto the next person on the list & we can keep this tour going. Thanks again to the good folks at 64Audio & to Barra!

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #231 of 813
IMG_9585.JPG IMG_9589.JPG
No two U18s are alike, at least visually. Replacement set on top. M20 module on the "rattle" set to easily distinguish between the two.

Received the replacement U18 w/case & M15 module. I actually ended up taking the day off to sign for the package. I miscalculated that someone else would be available to sign for the package & realized otherwise as I was stepping out the door and no one responded to my "bye". Anyway, I just tested both U18 sets w/M15 module using a splitter, playing multiple tracks on random and wasn't able to detect any sonic differences. I performed A-B tests as well as interchanged the L&R earphones and didn't hear anything strange. It seems to just be loose drivers, but the connections are still sound. They'll know for sure once I send it back to 64 Audio. I will be handing off the kit to @Kunlun on Monday. Thumbs up to Roman at 64 Audio!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #232 of 813

No two U18s are alike, at least visually. Replacement set on top.

Received the replacement U18 w/case & M15 module. I actually ended up taking the day off to sign for the package. I miscalculated that someone else would be available to sign for the package & realized otherwise as I was stepping out the door and no one responded to my "bye". Anyway, I just tested both U18 sets using a splitter, playing multiple tracks on random and wasn't able to detect any sonic differences. I performed A-B tests as well as interchanged the L&R earphones and didn't hear anything strange. It seems to just be loose drivers, but the connections are still sound. They'll know for sure once I send it back to 64 Audio.

Even with the faceplates up, on your pictures it looks like the nozzles are pointed in significantly different directions on the two pair. I thought it might be a matter of the camera angle, but it looks a little too noticeable to be that. I would think that this might, if nothing else, affect the fit. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #233 of 813
IMG_9595.JPG IMG_9597.JPG IMG_9592.JPG IMG_9591.JPG IMG_9594.JPG

The nozzles are all angled the same. It's definitely an iPhone 6s Plus lens/macro/me being too lazy to lug out my Sony A7 issue. There is a slight gap between the faceplate & shell on the replacement set. It may have been repaired at some point. This doesn't seem to be an issue on the demo set, which is the one being sent back for rattles. The replacement set does say "DEMO NOT FOR SALE" on the shell. It is a very slightly deeper shade of red. The outer faceplate ring is also a deeper cooper shade. This is the kit that's going out from the East Coast.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #238 of 813
Both great earphones w/amazing detail, & soundstage. Excellent instrument separation. No weak spots. Full balanced sound. Bass extends deep, controlled.

Tia Fourte - wider 3D soundstage & resolution. Separation & detail. High & wide. Detailed highs & mids, slightly forward. Bass punch, tight. Treble is detailed, hi hats & cymbals sparkle. Crisp. Sizzle(?).

U18 w/M20 - slightly more intimate soundstage. Holographic. Smoother, natural presentation. Depth. Sub-bass thump & rumble.
w/M15 - bass still deep & detailed, but loses some rumble, leaner

If cost weren't a factor, I'd choose both as they are amazing at what they do. The practical side of me would opt for the U18 though, with the ability to swap modules/slightly alter signatures. I dare say my endgame CIEM (is there such a thing?) would be the A18. Alas, I may have to wait for another U18 B-stock sale; it'd be worth the wait.

It's the middle of summer (NYC - hazy, hot, humid) and I ended up listening to the entire Peanuts Christmas soundtrack while demoing these IEMs.

peanuts christmas.gif

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #239 of 813
I'm really glad I had the chance to hear these and I would like to thank barra and 64 Ears.

The Tia Fourte is one of the very best hybrid iems I've heard. The clarity is excellent and the bass dynamic dynamic driver is well-controlled leading to coherence between the drivers. The sound is a mild v-shape to my ears.

I would strongly recommend foam tips with it, as that eliminates any treble timbre issues from the armatures. With foamies, timbre is good and the sound is overall very good.

If I end up putting up a review, the title will probably be "Not Bad for the Price" as the price is high, but these deliver quite well. Should be on the list for anyone considering a top-tier iem.

The U18Tzar has a more polarizing tuning, to my ears, with a bit more V to the sound. Excellent clarity. Foam tips also recommended, for dealing with treble timbre issues.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #240 of 813
@Barra , please remove me from this tour. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back