Touching T-Day story (involves Ksc75s)
Nov 28, 2008 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

tstarn06

Banned
So, my wife's family descends on our humble home today to gobble down turkey and pumpkin pie. Among them is our 15-year-old nephew, a budding jazz saxophonist who has an ipod 5.5g (30gb). I check out his earphones, and the poor kid is using a pair of OEM Sony earbuds he picked up someplace, he wasn't sure where. Being a dedicated headphone fanatic, I finally decide it's time to get him hooked. I give him, for keeps (as we used to say as kids), my Kramer-modded Ksc75s. He gives them a try. He lights up like a Xmas tree. But wait, I also have 3 FiiO E3s sitting around, bought at $8 per. I hand him one, show him how it all hooks up, and he's stunned!

He didn't take the phones off all day, except to eat, of course.

He also kept thanking me over and over, saying how he had to listen to his entire 2,000-track collection with this new-found treasure.

I told his dad (my brother-in-law) that he'd better be prepared, cause the next thing I was gonna do was send him the head-fi.org URL. So sorry for his wallet. I am so devious.

But the boy's face was worth it. He kept repeating, "I can't believe how much better this sounds!"

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 22
Hooked-For-Life.

Nice job, mate
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 22
Oh, and I gave my sister-in-law (the one not the kid's mom) a Sansa Express and a pair of old Creative EP630s. Poor woman had no DAP/IEM to listen to. It was fun, giving away stuff I don't really use.

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, my wife's family descends on our humble home today to gobble down turkey and pumpkin pie. Among them is our 15-year-old nephew, a budding jazz saxophonist who has an ipod 5.5g (30gb). I check out his earphones, and the poor kid is using a pair of OEM Sony earbuds he picked up someplace, he wasn't sure where. Being a dedicated headphone fanatic, I finally decide it's time to get him hooked. I give him, for keeps (as we used to say as kids), my Kramer-modded Ksc75s. He gives them a try. He lights up like a Xmas tree. But wait, I also have 3 FiiO E3s sitting around, bought at $8 per. I hand him one, show him how it all hooks up, and he's stunned!

He didn't take the phones off all day, except to eat, of course.

He also kept thanking me over and over, saying how he had to listen to his entire 2,000-track collection with this new-found treasure.

I told his dad (my brother-in-law) that he'd better be prepared, cause the next thing I was gonna do was send him the head-fi.org URL. So sorry for his wallet. I am so devious.

But the boy's face was worth it. He kept repeating, "I can't believe how much better this sounds!"

hehe NICE! I self inflicted myself bought se530's then somehow found head-fi while looking something up I don't even want to know what my wallet's damage is by now
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 22
Unfortunately, I found Head-Fi just after buying my Super.fi 5 EBs. While I still like them, for a few bucks more I could've grabbed the Future Sonics Atrio M5/M8 and (probably) been far happier.

So far, Head-Fi got me to spend an extra $183 I shouldn't have. I can't imagine what the next six years of headphone spending might bring (Which would be equivalent to the age difference between myself and your nephew).

I feel terrible for that kid's first credit card. XD

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 22
Touching? More like a crack dealer giving for free the first dose to a new client.
wink.gif

Just kidding, it's always nice to see new people joining the hobby.

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Touching? More like a crack dealer giving for free the first dose to a new client.
wink.gif

Just kidding, it's always nice to see new people joining the hobby.

It's never good when the free samples start singing to you.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 22
sorry for your nephew's wallet. YOU GO UNCLE!

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 22
I for some reason also think that male are drawn way more easily into this whole audio thing.

This is because out of the people whom I have given KSC75s or sometimes more expensive portable headphones for special occasions, all guys seems to greatly appreciate the present, but girls generally don't seem to care as much.

my guess is that their love for style would override their want for better quality music. Reactions I've gotten for giving out 5 dollar KSCs have been generally a lot better than me giving RE2s to my sister / good friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back