Touch + dock + amp vs Squeezebox Touch
Sep 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
So would a Touch hooked up to something like a Total Bithead make up for what I perceive as moderately crappy sound that I think the Touch outputs natively?

I only tested with a pair of lowly (for this forum) Shure e2c's, but my Sansa Clip sounded at least twice as good as my buddy's Touch. Listened to the same songs on each and it was night and day for me.

Only reason I am now considering a Touch is to basically duplicate the features of the new Logitech Squeezebox Touch, but keep things portable/pocketable should I want to move around.

What I am looking for as my audio source is the most economical and flexible way to get a touch screen interface to not only my locally stored music files (highest bitrate mp3's plus flac), as well as Pandora internet radio, and is independent from my computer (Fujitsu tablet pc).

I have in the past been completely anti-Apple, but I won't let silly ideologies get in my way if a Touch ends up being the best option for me.

In the end will outputting to an external DAC make up for the native sound of the Touch? The Squeezebox Touch looks fantastic to me with all of its outputs, which I hope to be able to replicate in someway with a dock for the Touch.

Keeping the whole setup would be portable would be nice, but my Clip (most likely going to get the Clip+ for the expandable storage) provides me perfectly adequate music listening on the move.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 3
The Squeezebox is going to be a lot more flexible, but it isn't portable. Sound quality should be much better than an ipod. (and supports open standards, flac, etc)

If you need portable you need the ipod, but if you're ok with your clip for the road, then I vote Squeezebox. I am very happy with my SB3's, and all my flac on a big hard drive.

Coincidentally I am still using my X5 for portable, but looking hard at the clip+.

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the reply!

I am back to my original idea which is what you also recommended. I think I will appreciate the dedicated purpose (and quality) of the Squeezebox more than the portability since I am quite pleased with my Clip/E2c combo for easy listening on the go. The Squeezebox with an external harddrive and a desktop amp will be a great dedicated setup that will allow me to have my laptop away from the sound rig and still do everything I need it to do. That and the Squeezebox is a cheaper solution than the Touch with an adequate dock.

Plus by avoiding and apple product, my soul remains intact!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back