TOTL Headphones for Rock
Sep 25, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #16 of 61
Do you recommend ordering them directly from the supplier? It seems as though everywhere says 8-12 weeks to ship :fearful:
I got them through my dealer (with a little discount).

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #18 of 61
My wife cracks up laughing every time she see's me wearing the 1266. While I agree for rock the 1266 is the better choice all other things being equal, they are not my favorite headphones. I'll take the Susvara's with my current system.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #20 of 61
Focal Utopia. You won't get it's speed in any other non estat headphone.
I dunno, the Susvaras, TCs, and SR1as are very quick. I have the Utopias as well, and they are fast, but I’m not sure they are faster. They’re easy to drive and cost less, so that’s a plus. However, if I had to pick only one, it would be the TCs

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #22 of 61
I dunno, the Susvaras, TCs, and SR1as are very quick. I have the Utopias as well, and they are fast, but I’m not sure they are faster. They’re easy to drive and cost less, so that’s a plus. However, if I had to pick only one, it would be the TCs
Utopia is miles fast than the Susvara. Never heard SR1a and only heard TC on another setup and not with fast music. But at least in microdynamics i never heard a really fast planar.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #23 of 61
Utopia is miles fast than the Susvara. Never heard SR1a and only heard TC on another setup and not with fast music. But at least in microdynamics i never heard a really fast planar.

Let's not exaggerate... Utopias overall sense of imaging is smaller than the Susvara, Utopia is maybe like a font size 10, while Susvara size 12. However, it is punchier and combined with the precise but smallish images can exaggerate sense of speed and leading edge.

I'd not choose Utopia for rock especially if there's a ton of electric guitars, the peaks in the Utopia's treble can be fatiguing for some. I am biased tho as I prefer the Stellia over the Utopia in Focal lineup,

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #24 of 61
Let's not exaggerate... Utopias overall sense of imaging is smaller than the Susvara, Utopia is maybe like a font size 10, while Susvara size 12. However, it is punchier and combined with the precise but smallish images can exaggerate sense of speed and leading edge.

I'd not choose Utopia for rock especially if there's a ton of electric guitars, the peaks in the Utopia's treble can be fatiguing for some. I am biased tho as I prefer the Stellia over the Utopia in Focal lineup,
I don't exaggerate. In a hobby where you spend multiple k for 5-10% improvement the difference is big. Especially for electric guitars so far my favourite headphone and the fastest i know together with stax.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #25 of 61
I don't exaggerate. In a hobby where you spend multiple k for 5-10% improvement the difference is big. Especially for electric guitars so far my favourite headphone and the fastest i know together with stax.
We'll agree to disagree.

However, compared to the TC for Rock and basically anything where you need to feel the weight of instrument, Utopia is literally not in the same league, unless you run the Utopia off a high impedeance source or tube amp where you get the benefit of a the impedance mismatching causing a large bass bump in focals, the bass/low end is very light despite good dynamics, you end up with an almost ethereal sensation and the instruments lack weight. If you're coming from estats I can see the appeal for Utopia. While less tonally correct, the TCs are much visceral, so if you prioritize the tonality, I guess the Utopias...

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #26 of 61
We'll agree to disagree.

However, compared to the TC for Rock and basically anything where you need to feel the weight of instrument, Utopia is literally not in the same league, unless you run the Utopia off a high impedeance source or tube amp where you get the benefit of a the impedance mismatching causing a large bass bump in focals, the bass/low end is very light despite good dynamics, you end up with an almost ethereal sensation and the instruments lack weight. If you're coming from estats I can see the appeal for Utopia. While less tonally correct, the TCs are much visceral, so if you prioritize the tonality, I guess the Utopias...
TC is just another level. I can appreciate the Utopia as well although I find it ruthlessly fatiguing due to the metallic timbre but it is dynamic and punchy compared to an HD800 (barometer of yesteryear) the LCD's or ZMF's. The TC simply makes most/many/all/ TOTL headphones sound bad, veiled, small, compressed, wimpy, soft, etc.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #28 of 61
My top 4 for rock in no particular order: LCD-5, Phi TC, Susvara and SR1a (for prog and acoustic rock).
Did you demo the LCD5?

I currently cannot decide between the LCD5 and Phi TC.

I have both in my cart, and I want to get one of the two ordered early in the week.

I've had some questionable experiences with HiFiMan build quality in the past but that does not include the Susvara.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #29 of 61
The Utopia is NOT "faster" than the Susvara. It's not better at anything than a properly set up Susvara.

The Abyss TC is the favorite headphone of most people here who listen predominantly to very aggressive rock/metal. As a (former) musician myself, and one who no longer listens much to those genres, I'll tell you that the TC is highly colored and will butcher pretty much anything acoustic, like jazz. EDM is supposedly one of its strengths, but I listened to a track from Toy by Yello on it at CanJam and thought it sounded like crap compared to played through the Susvara. This is consistent with the two prior times I've auditioned the TC. I found myself saying "What do people hear in this?". But the fact remains that a preponderance of metalheads love it. Can't argue with that, I guess.

The Susvara is much more comfortable, but less durable if you like to drive over your headphones with a truck, etc.

As always, one dude's opinion, and YMMV, etc.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #30 of 61
The Utopia is NOT "faster" than the Susvara. It's not better at anything than a properly set up Susvara.

The Abyss TC is the favorite headphone of most people here who listen predominantly to very aggressive rock/metal. As a (former) musician myself, and one who no longer listens much to those genres, I'll tell you that the TC is highly colored and will butcher pretty much anything acoustic, like jazz. EDM is supposedly one of its strengths, but I listened to a track from Toy by Yello on it at CanJam and thought it sounded like crap compared to played through the Susvara. This is consistent with the two prior times I've auditioned the TC. I found myself saying "What do people hear in this?". But the fact remains that a preponderance of metalheads love it. Can't argue with that, I guess.

The Susvara is much more comfortable, but less durable if you like to drive over your headphones with a truck, etc.

As always, one dude's opinion, and YMMV, etc.
That is my issue as well considering I do enjoy acoustic music as well.

I am actually leaning on the LCD5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back