TOTL Headphones for Rock
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #31 of 61
That is my issue as well considering I do enjoy acoustic music as well.

I am actually leaning on the LCD5.
LCD-5 might be a good compromise. The bass seemed to be a tad punchier than on the Susvara, but I only heard the Audeze for a brief period and not with my preferred selection of music. Hope you find what you're looking for, in any case.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #32 of 61
LCD-5 might be a good compromise. The bass seemed to be a tad punchier than on the Susvara, but I only heard the Audeze for a brief period and not with my preferred selection of music. Hope you find what you're looking for, in any case.
Did the LCD-5 sound good to you? I'm coming from a plethora of 1k headphones so this will be my first high-end headphone purchase. (Considering my dac and amp both individually cost twice the amount of my actual headphones...)

A month ago I was dead set on the Susvaras.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #33 of 61
I’d really wait man. 4 minute reviews at a noisy convention is not ideal way of evaluating headphones (no offense intended toward anybody)

You don’t have to buy it now, it’ll be there in the future $4.5K or $5K is a lot of money to spend. Maybe you can get an in-home demo from somebody

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #34 of 61
I’d really wait man. 4 minute reviews at a noisy convention is not ideal way of evaluating headphones (no offense intended toward anybody)

You don’t have to buy it now, it’ll be there in the future $4.5K or $5K is a lot of money to spend. Maybe you can get an in-home demo from somebody
LOL.

Aside: I love the ****ing paragraphs written based on hearing a song or two in the most unfriendly of listening environments.

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #36 of 61
I don't know headfi is the only forum where Abyss is so much hyped. All other forums agree that it's either an interesting headphone thats worth a try or that it totally sucks.
Blasphemy!

174925-284x425-priest-with-crucifix.jpg

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #38 of 61
I don't know headfi is the only forum where Abyss is so much hyped. All other forums agree that it's either an interesting headphone thats worth a try or that it totally sucks.
lol which forums? ASR doesn't count, link some threads, I'm bored

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #39 of 61
Disagree. It's hyped cause its an incredible headphone

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #40 of 61
I mean, respected audio reviewers also love it. Like Steve Guttenberg

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #42 of 61
Disagree. It's hyped cause its an incredible headphone
The overwhelmingly majority whom have been exposed to all the TOTL are in agreement, it is incredible if not downright the very best.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #43 of 61
I have heard nothing but great reviews about the Abyss except for comfort.

I went with the LCD5 because I know I will be happy plus reviews state they are very comfortable which is important to me considering I wear headphones for very extended sessions

I will report back when they arrive and I am able to test them.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #44 of 61
lol which forums? ASR doesn't count, link some threads, I'm bored
Resolve doesn't care for them, Torq had high praise for the Phi -- same "camp"

Purrin at SBAF was over the moon with the OG, that place has since dropped off of any meaningful foot print. It's a small community, mostly not too much in the TOTL camps. ASR is garbage. I believe some of the German forums are also positive.

I forgot Head-Case, the STAX mafia is mostly out of dynamic/planar reign. Dr Gilmore thought the Abyss was fine. The rest is electrostat territory.

But it's your ears and listening preference that counts.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #45 of 61
Resolve doesn't care for them, Torq had high praise for the Phi -- same "camp"

Purrin at SBAF was over the moon with the OG, that place has since dropped off of any meaningful foot print. It's a small community, mostly not too much in the TOTL camps. ASR is garbage. I believe some of the German forums are also positive.

I forgot Head-Case, the STAX mafia is mostly out of dynamic/planar reign. Dr Gilmore thought the Abyss was fine. The rest is electrostat territory.

But it's your ears and listening preference that counts.
Why did you decide to exit from Stax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back