TOTL Headphones Comparison
Feb 17, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #121 of 208
Oufff Very, very precise and useful reviews for all... And interesting for me, but I dont have the money to buy only one of them...Thanks the reviewer for his meticulous works though, very interesting read to say the least...Thanks God I own the TOTL of 1982 the AKG K 340 and I can read this thread without thinking about stealing a bank to satisfy my urge of audiophile...:ksc75smile:

Heh, thanks for the comments mate.

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #122 of 208
I'm cranking the Sennheiser HD800 at super loud volume levels & there is no unpleasantness & I consider it one of the most bright headphones I've owned. But it is all dependent on your system, e.g. tube amps & a non digital sounding DAC/cables.

I'm guessing you pair the Utopia with a solid state amp?
I am with you
Hd800 and 800s downfall is how unforgiving it is toward bad systems/sources. When properly driven, it is awesome

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #123 of 208
Still awaiting feedback on if this is actually a new can or not.
You might want to hold your purchase on the Phi, Abyss 1266 Phi TC is coming out.

Yes indeed, a new can.
The new Abyss 1266 Phi TC was demo'ed at the 16 & 17 Feb NYC Canjam show. I got to hear it.
The reps at the Abyss booth told me that this new Abyss headphone was announced/shown for the very first time at the Saturday,16 Feb Canjam.

New TC has a major upgrade to the diaphragm, but otherwise, the headphone is the same as the 'CC' - to me the TC looked identical to the older CC.

I was very surprised when an Abyss engineer (son of Joe Skubinski) told me that the this new TC model is as big an improvement in sound quality over the CC, as the CC was over the original 1266 !!!

I previously understood that no improvements to the Abyss 1266 Phi CC were planned, or in the in the pipeline.

Bill

BTW, what was the point of the earlier "$$$$$$$$$" post? --does it contribute to this thread in some way -- it's supposed to be funny?

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #124 of 208
Yes indeed, a new can.
The new Abyss 1266 Phi TC was demo'ed at the 16 & 17 Feb NYC Canjam show. I got to hear it.
The reps at the Abyss booth told me that this new Abyss headphone was announced/shown for the very first time at the Saturday,16 Feb Canjam.

New TC has a major upgrade to the diaphragm, but otherwise, the headphone is the same as the 'CC' - to me the TC looked identical to the older CC.

I was very surprised when an Abyss engineer (son of Joe Skubinski) told me that the this new TC model is as big an improvement in sound quality over the CC, as the CC was over the original 1266 !!!

I previously understood that no improvements to the Abyss 1266 Phi CC were planned, or in the in the pipeline.

Bill

BTW, what was the point of the earlier "$$$$$$$$$" post? --does it contribute to this thread in some way -- it's supposed to be funny?

Sigh, really hoping there's an upgrade path.
Abyss Phi CC is still currently my top HP, over the susvara. The thought of a better sounding phi cc is mind boggling.

From you ears, how do they compare to the CC?

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #125 of 208
From you ears, how do they compare to the CC?

Abyss booth was a bit noisy (even on Sunday {today} at Canjam), and I wasn't familiar with most of the available recordings, etc.

Sorry, I can't give you a reliable opinion.
However, I really liked what I heard on the new Abyss TC -- if that's any help.
I'm not an Abyss owner -- lack the experience that an Abyss owner would have..

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #127 of 208
Well, it's confirmed, new drivers and no upgrade path.

So I'll be selling my Phi with CC pads.

Anyone interested hit me up.

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #128 of 208
Abyss Phi CC is still currently my top HP, over the susvara. The thought of a better sounding phi cc is mind boggling.

BTW, Joe Skubinski's son told me that Abyss decided to offer a 10% discount (NYC Canjam show special only during the last day, Sunday, 17 Feb).

When I previously inquired about a Canjam show discount on Saturday, the Abyss booth reps said that there's no discount -- but they would ask Joe Skubinski if he would offer a discount.
I wonder if my earlier request (& possibly by other attendees) influenced Abyss' decision to offer 10% off the next day (Sunday).

Prior to attending Canjam, I understood that Abyss never discounts their products.

I was temped by 10% off for the new Abyss 1266 Phi TC -- but decided that the price is still not affordable. -- Maybe next year will change my mind.

Anyway, recall that many other Canjam exhibitors offered 10% off - including Stax, MrSpeakers, Audeze, Benchmark(?) etc..
Another benefit from going to the shows.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #130 of 208
They discounted it on Black Friday.
Yeah and if I do recall right its a 15% discount.

Yes indeed, a new can.

Bill

I also heard the TC at their booth. For my all too brief (20 minutes) playtime with these they sound just as bold as their predecessor, but Eric specifically mentioned that older models cannot be upgraded to the TC since they made major changes to both the driver and the headphone frame although it looks the same from the outside.

Mar 6, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #132 of 208
Did many auditions of TOTL candidates. After much deliberation, decided to get the RAAL Requisite SR1a ribbon headphones - received them on 22 Feb.
Looks like I made the right choice - they are the most real-sounding headphones I've ever heard.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #133 of 208
Matt, it's time for you to bring in the 009/carbon setup for the final comparison!

Did many auditions of TOTL candidates. After much deliberation, decided to get the RAAL Requisite SR1a ribbon headphones - received them on 22 Feb.
Looks like I made the right choice - they are the most real-sounding headphones I've ever heard.

I bought the TC couple days ago. So that will be here soon. But yes I need to add both the 009 and the raal to the lineup.

Need to add a dave+M scaler or msb premier later this year. May be able to add an extra can as well.

@Bill13 what amp are you using for your raal?

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #134 of 208
giphy.gif

Sounds like some hardcore battles coming up. I mean a few headphones have gotten over 10/10 for SQ, i wonder what this TC will do.

Mar 6, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #135 of 208

How are you powering them?
I thought the Abyss was a massive headache trying to get a powerful enough amp to not only power it fully, but make it sound good.
The SR1a needs a minimum of 150 watts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back