TOTL Headphones Comparison
Dec 13, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #107 of 208
...in those conditions I could not even detect the LCD-4's fatal treble flaws (since they're not as gigantic as the treble flaws of a $30 headphone haha).

Stax needs more retailers but I guess they are too niche? Their popularity would spread if people could go to their local Hi-Fi store and listen to an elite SR-009S / SR-009 / SR-007 system. But amps are even trickier since HeadAmp has very few retailers, and that is the only commercial source of good electrostatic amps...
I would be really curious to hear the LCD4 as they cost exactly twice the price of the already expensive LCD3 at regular price. I'm lucky 2 weeks ago that I managed to buy the LCD 3 for the extremely good price of only 1200$USD, then I bought a store demo of the (Woo WA6-SE) at just 825$USD amplifier to combine with my (NAD M51) DAC.

So far the LCD3 on this amp is the best thing in the world I have ever heard and same for others that listened to it but I don't count them as they have 0 experience with quality audio. Still, I've seen a major improvement in SQ compare to the (Beyerdynamic T90) I have, but again this was to be expected as the LCD3 were already worth 3x more.

It's a shame that without Internet it's nearly 95% impossible to get any information about very high-end audio or even just high-end. There was only 1 retailer in the biggest city of my province, where I could demo the Audeze and yet they didn't even have or want to have 1 demo of the LCD4 eve if they are the only within the whole Quebec province. As if I would be willing to blindly spend 2x more than the LCD3 without hearing them first, What?! There was then only 1 store where I could get the (Utopia) which I will check soon just out of curiosity even if their pricing on sale at 3150$USD is still well above my budget. I guess they would still be considered "cheap" compare to the Abyss or Stax-009 knowing that you wouldn't need to get a crazy expensive amplifier to make them sound good because ur going nowhere if you spent all you had on the headphone then got nothing left for an amplifier of a few grands.

Places to demo high-end headphone amplifier are ridiculously rare as it would be hard to believe. The Woo I listened at was the "best" this store had and it was in the Top 3 physical store among the whole province! Yet if you want to listen to speaker hardware, it is about 10-20x easier to find a place (-_-) Most of the time niche amplifiers are from other countries which make purchase complicated, warranties not meaning much and returns nearly impossibles and we all know you can't base a purchase only upon specs numbers.

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #108 of 208
Clash of the Titans

Hey All,

I've had the Abyss Phi with CC pads for a bit now, and have recently gotten the Susvara, decided to square them off and add them both to the roster, Enjoy!

Abyss Phi CC.png

Summary

The Phi CC Takes everything about the Phi and refines it and polished it. The music sounds a bit more natural and there's a bit more detail retrieval and resolution, the cans, are just….better. And that coming from the Phi is very difficult to accomplish.

They seem to bring more refinement to an already great can. The new earpads seem to make the music cleaner and as a result I'm noticing that bit more of detail retrieval and resolution. There is definitely more space, and the bass is a bit more detailed and refined. Basically makes everything better lol. O, and they are more comfortable.

If you've already dished out $4500+ on the Phi, the extra for CC pads are a new brainer imo. Overall I think they offer more improvement to the sound than a cable upgrade, which can cost anywhere from 3-7 times the cost of the new pads. TLDR go get the pads, and if you're in the market for a new Abyss, might as well go straight CC.

I'm glad these upgrade options were made available to owners, from the headbands, original earpad replacements, phi upgrade, cable upgrades and now earpad upgrades.

Always a path available to me to upgrade as they iterate on the headphones and never felt like my investment was gutted by a future headphone release 6 months later.

Now that I've gotten to know the Abyss Phi CC for a while, I can now say this:
The Abyss Phi CC destroys the Utopia.
The thing is so good, I had to cross the 10 barrier when I placed the Phi CC on my review chart.

I don’t even know what's happening, if I should adjust all my ratings taking into account the performance of the CC being the pinnacle of what I've heard so far, all I know is, these things sound GOOD!, and at this point I'm not quite sure how to represent that with numbers on a chart. I'll have to have think about it, but I think where my thoughts are on the chart says it all.

Fast, Punchy, Dynamic, Natural, Neutral, Detailed, Revealing, Fun, Open, Deep, Authoritative, Powerful.

Truly amazing headphone.

Comfort

The CC comfort is improved over the Phi but is still lacking IMO, once modified though, you're good to go.

Build Quality
Same as Original : The abyss is built like a tank. Metal throughout and feel like it can be run over by a truck. Handling these you'll at no time think "they can break". It does however have a very polarizing look. I personally love it.

Rating Breakdown / Tone Wheel

ToneWheel_AbyssPhiCC.png

Susvara.png

Summary

The Susvara has a lush and smooth sound while's still retaining an incredible sense of speed, punch and accuracy. Drums sound just amazing on these cans. Amazing detail retrieval and resolution akin to that of the abyss phi cc albeit not achieving the same peak levels of performance in this regard. The combination of the speed and smooth lush tone make for a very enjoyable listen. Great across the audio spectrum. Great bass, treble, mids. The Abyss Phi CC is currently my pinnacle of headphone performance, and the Susvara' s are in striking distance of that. They compete at the same level but I think the abyss still takes it. But at this level, choosing between the 2 will come down to tonality preference.

The Abyss is more neutral, clearer, crisper (but not analytical)
The Susvara is warmer, lusher, smoother. (but not veiled)

What makes the Abyss special is it's share bottomless sense of authority and presence. On a good rig it just commands whatever you throw at it with such excellent control and power, the music just sounds big and massive, engaging and entertaining, with insane details and resolution coupled with bottomless powerful bass.

What makes the Susvara special is its ability to achieve pin-point accuracy of instruments while's still retaining its rich and musical tone. Vocals on these cans also sound particularly amazing.

These headphones are like a stealth assassin, it does not let you know it's there, and then you're dead.
If the Abyss is the huge powerful muscle car of headphones, these will be the sleek precise counterpart that can put itself perfectly in any part of the track you would have it go. Just a level of sophistication that make them really special.

2 Very different headphones, but 2 excellent cans nonetheless.
If I had to give the win when it comes to sound quality, I'd give it to the Abyss, but the Susvara takes it hands down in the comfort department. Abyss modified is fine though, but still the Susvara is just the more comfortable headphone.

If I had to live with only 1 it will be the Abyss, but if the abyss' weird fit just isn't for you, then Susvara is where I'd go. Owning both though, well, then you don’t have to compromise, reach for whichever can you feel for.
When comes to the Utopia, as good as they are, I think the Abyss Phi CC and Hifiman Susvara are both a cut above the utopia. To my ears, both those cans represent the pinnacle of their respective sound signatures, but the utopia still feels like it can be…more.

Comfort

Most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. Period

Build Quality

I knocked the HEK V1 for its poor build quality, and the HEK V2 improved things albeit still lower than I'd like. The Susvara feel A LOT better than those 2. It no longer feel like a toy. Feels much more premium than those 2, but not the best build I've seen. The trade-off is, they give you a super comfortable can. All in all these are good. But not amazing.

Rating Breakdown / Tone Wheel

ToneWheel_Susvara.png

Ratings Breakdown

Ratings_v3.png

Best At

Genre_v3.png

Photos

1.png 2.png
20190119_143223.jpg 20190119_143235.jpg 20190119_143247.jpg 20190119_143253.jpg 20190119_143314.jpg 20190119_143445.jpg 20190119_143805.jpg 20190119_143811.jpg 20190119_143818.jpg

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #111 of 208
I've had the Abyss Phi with CC pads for a bit now, and have recently gotten the Susvara, decided to square them off and add them both to the roster, Enjoy!

Could/would you offer an opinion/advice to help me make a decision of what TOTL headphone to buy -- Currently considering two candidates: Abyss Phi CC, and the new 425 gm RAAL Requisite SR1a ribbon headphones (SR1a requires at least 50 to 100+ watts speaker amp like maybe a Hypex Ncore amp). If you've ever heard the RAAL, or read/heard an opinion that you might trust, where on your roster might the RAAL be tentatively placed? Perhaps asking too much, or inappropriate, since there seems be very little reliable info at this time -- problem is, lots of testimonials on this new ribbon headphone, but there's no way to audition, yet.

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #112 of 208
Could/would you offer an opinion/advice to help me make a decision of what TOTL headphone to buy -- Currently considering two candidates: Abyss Phi CC, and the new 425 gm RAAL Requisite SR1a ribbon headphones (SR1a requires at least 50 to 100+ watts speaker amp like maybe a Hypex Ncore amp). If you've ever heard the RAAL, or read/heard an opinion that you might trust, where on your roster might the RAAL be tentatively placed? Perhaps asking too much, or inappropriate, since there seems be very little reliable info at this time -- problem is, lots of testimonials on this new ribbon headphone, but there's no way to audition, yet.

I emailed the RAAL guys to find out when the headphone is coming out, because like yourself ive heard interesting things about it, and would like to probably get a pair to test. But as of now information is so incredibly limited. My advice is to wait until some reviews come out and see where it sits before deciding. But currently, i cant put it anywhere in my lineup, but form what i've heard from others, it will compete in the high end. Just wait and see.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #113 of 208
My advice is to wait until some reviews come out and see where it sits before deciding.

Sage advice, thanks.

BTW, I have the Focal Utopia. IMO, subjectively wonderful at low volume.

However at moderate to loud volumes, the Utopia's trebles can become unpleasant - especially the 6kHz-area peak reported by Tyll Hertsens.

Attribute this impression to the Fletcher Munson Curve graph.
As the actual, measured, loudness increases, the perceived loudness that we humans hear will change at a (much) faster rate of change, depending on the frequency (non-linear curve vs. frequency).

I wondering if this hearing phenomenon is a reason why some very favorable Utopia evaluations (including Tyll Hertsens') were changed/demoted.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #114 of 208
Sage advice, thanks.

BTW, I have the Focal Utopia. IMO, subjectively wonderful at low volume.

I'm cranking the Sennheiser HD800 at super loud volume levels & there is no unpleasantness & I consider it one of the most bright headphones I've owned. But it is all dependent on your system, e.g. tube amps & a non digital sounding DAC/cables.

I'm guessing you pair the Utopia with a solid state amp?

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #115 of 208
But it is all dependent on your system, e.g. tube amps & a non digital sounding DAC/cables.

Yes, perception of pleasantness depends upon system components, as well other factors.
I feel that individual music venue preferences, and typical associated recording dynamics, are also relevant.

It goes without saying: hearing perception differs widely amongst individuals.

Also have the HD800 (have Utopia).

Still find that the Fletcher Munson Curve applies -- based on solid science of human hearing -- my perception, anyway.

I used to be a tube amp guy, but now not much - usually prefer good SS.
Often like the results with DIY EQ - especially for trebles & peaks.

Beyond a reasonable price limit, I feel that cables offer very rapidly diminishing returns on investment..

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #116 of 208
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #117 of 208
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
You missed these $$$.

Feb 17, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #118 of 208
You might want to hold your purchase on the Phi, Abyss 1266 Phi TC is coming out.

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #119 of 208
You might want to hold your purchase on the Phi, Abyss 1266 Phi TC is coming out.

Still awaiting feedback on if this is actually a new can or not.

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #120 of 208
Oufff Very, very precise and useful reviews for all... And interesting for me, but I dont have the money to buy only one of them...Thanks the reviewer for his meticulous works though, very interesting read to say the least...Thanks God I own the TOTL of 1982 the AKG K 340 and I can read this thread without thinking about stealing a bank to satisfy my urge of audiophile...:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back