TOTL disappointments
Feb 9, 2020 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 970

donkeywalker

100+ Head-Fier
I want to start a thread dedicated to TOTL disappointments. A lot of us live in remote areas where before we spend $3k on a new toy the only way is to read as much as possible from fellow headfier . Most of reviews tend to really focus on the positives and I wish people will also talk about disappointments and why they sold them (and of course, provide a history of ones you were impressed by so we can better anchor the type of subjective preference you have)
I’m currently curious about PS2000e and Abyss Diana Phi, but it seems like most owners of these two headphones think they are perfect. My current listening experience has been a lot of enjoyment from both the HD800s and LCD3f based on genre of music. I’m wondering if I’d be disappointed by PS2k and Diana Phi as it seems like both are one notch up from my current duo.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 970
I want to start a thread dedicated to TOTL disappointments. A lot of us live in remote areas where before we spend $3k on a new toy the only way is to read as much as possible from fellow headfier . Most of reviews tend to really focus on the positives and I wish people will also talk about disappointments and why they sold them (and of course, provide a history of ones you were impressed by so we can better anchor the type of subjective preference you have)
I’m currently curious about GS2000e and Abyss Diana Phi, but it seems like most owners of these two headphones think they are perfect. My current listening experience has been a lot of enjoyment from both the HD800s and LCD3f based on genre of music. I’m wondering if I’d be disappointed by GS2k and Diana Phi as it seems like both are one notch up from my current duo.

I was very disappointed with the Diana V2 and couldn’t sell it fast enough. I felt it was uncomfortable to wear and very overpriced for the sound quality. The 800S is one of my favorite headphones of all time. I’d take it over the Diana V2 even if the prices were switched.

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 970
Price is very much an important factor. The TOTL's last 10 year pricing is performing better than S&P's 269% return. This either means audiophiles are increasingly making more money faster than non-audiophiles, of previous TOTL's were underpriced. It seems to be a matter of time before TOTL reach an average $6-7k.

It seems like the Beyer T1 now is considered entry-level, and it no longer even mentioned in reviews when compared with other TOTL's anymore, although still being Beyer's flagship product. Where is our economic of scale in producing TOTLs?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 970
T1s are TOTL as far as I’m concerned. They’re great cans and there’s nothing above them from Beyerdynamic, still their flagship and still absolutely competent and competitive way above their price point IMO.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 970
The HD800s having no bass, the Utopias only having slightly more bass, most TOTL headphones having no bass.

I listen to a lot of metal and hip-hop, and I need my bass. Just the fact that a lot of TOTL cans neglect this was a big disappointment.

Thankfully Abyss, Fostex, and Audeze exist

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 970
The HD800s having no bass, the Utopias only having slightly more bass, most TOTL headphones having no bass.

I listen to a lot of metal and hip-hop, and I need my bass. Just the fact that a lot of TOTL cans neglect this was a big disappointment.

Have you tried the Empyrean?
I'm hoping their bass falls into the range of the 3 you listed.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 970
Diana Phi was very disappointing for the price , i would say go for the1266 or don't bother , even the comfort wasn't that great unless you have a huge head. soundwise it didnt have the dynamics of a 4000$ headphone and sounded anemic, though the details, sound stage and imaging was really good.

Also Fostex TH909 was huge disappointment , that headphone sounded so wrong , it was almost like if the polarity was inverted , imaging was so wrong , and the bass wasn't great also , though i liked the build and the look and i am still a fan of the old TH900 model.

Last one was the Pioneer SE-MASTER 1 , that was unexpected heavy bass headphone , the most unblalnced headphoned i have ever tried, it was painfull lestining to , i dont know how antbody could mix with it .

Feb 10, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 970
Have you tried the Empyrean?
I'm hoping their bass falls into the range of the 3 you listed.
I have not. I’m extremely happy with my TCs and th900mk2s though (and not just for the amazing bass, which they both definetly have). Audeze headphones are good, but they became redundant with my main headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 970
Diana Phi was very disappointing for the price , i would say go for the1266 or don't bother , even the comfort wasn't that great unless you have a huge head. soundwise it didnt have the dynamics of a 4000$ headphone and sounded anemic, though the details, sound stage and imaging was really good.

Also Fostex TH909 was huge disappointment , that headphone sounded so wrong , it was almost like if the polarity was inverted , imaging was so wrong , and the bass wasn't great also , though i liked the build and the look and i am still a fan of the old TH900 model.

Last one was the Pioneer SE-MASTER 1 , that was unexpected heavy bass headphone , the most unblalnced headphoned i have ever tried, it was painfull lestining to , i dont know how antbody could mix with it .

Can you explain a bit more how the Diana Phi sound exactly compared to others such as LCD4 or Utopia?

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 970

How would you fare the Susvara does in the bass department then?

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 970

My hd800s have pretty good bass driving through the CrackOTL and previously i definitely felt the bass was too light. It still sparkles too much for me.

Feb 11, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 970
How would you fare the Susvara does in the bass department then?
Not great. About the same as the Utopias. I have kept my Susvaras because of the amazing midrange, the resolution, and the soundstage. That said, I never listen to hip-hop with them. The Susvaras are only used for rock, some metal, and indie.

Feb 11, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 970
Price is very much an important factor. The TOTL's last 10 year pricing is performing better than S&P's 269% return. This either means audiophiles are increasingly making more money faster than non-audiophiles, of previous TOTL's were underpriced.

Maybe it just means people who can't throw 3 grand on a single pair of headphones can't afford to be audiophiles. I'm not sure I understand the calculations :wink:

I haven't heard the 800S but I have a pair of 800s. To say they have no bass is just wrong. They're smooth all the way up and down. The bass is absolutely there and absolutely clean.

If you want to say they don't have slam, ok. The 800 is not that kind of headphone.

Feb 11, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #14 of 970
Maybe it just means people who can't throw 3 grand on a single pair of headphones can't afford to be audiophiles. I'm not sure I understand the calculations :wink:

I haven't heard the 800S but I have a pair of 800s. To say they have no bass is just wrong. They're smooth all the way up and down. The bass is absolutely there and absolutely clean.

If you want to say they don't have slam, ok. The 800 is not that kind of headphone.
They definitely don't have slam, and I would definitely consider them to be bass-light. With hip-hop and metal, the lack of bass on the HD800s is very noticeable. I always had to use bass boost. If you don't listen to bass heavy genres, you probably don't have a problem with the bass on the HD800s though

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 970
HFM HE6SE (Adorama). Narrow valley at 1.5 kHz (-9 db), broad peak at 3.8 kHz (+13 db) ruins the experience of listening to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back