Totally unpowered senns...
May 10, 2002 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nuhi

Head-Fier
Man, i have bought hd580 a weak ago, it's unpowered and it's distorted as hell, bass is yuck, totally lame, weak, but the clarity of these phones is great.

I can "see" improvement in quality and details over my cheap sonys but the power is gone, it's totaly liquid and bass-distorted.

I'm running it on sblive unpowered
smily_headphones1.gif
, i know, i know, don't mention it.

Terratec dmx 6fire is on the way, but i'm planning to build Corda amp, is it gonna fix everything, will i be audio-sattisfied-little-nerd?
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Probably nuhi...

You say they distort, does it sound like the headphones are faulty (loud popping noise) or just that the soundcard is not pushing out enough juice?

I started a thread yesterday complementing the HD580 with my JMT amp (saying that, all my 'phones sound good through the JMT)... So, if you're getting a Porta-Corda, i'm sure you'll be onto a winner as long as the headphones themselves aren't broken?

May 10, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 5
I just got my HD600's today, I upgraded from 580's. They both sounded great to me directly out of the headphone out jack on my panasonic discman, and my denon receiver...at low to medium volumes.

At high volumes the discman especially becomes noisy at the output. I had a Total Airhead, but I sold it. I'm building a headphone amp with a friend now. I don't think an amp is necessary unless you listen at loud volumes. Everyone seems to say they make it sound a LOT better. I dont' know about that.

May 11, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 5
It's like there is no mechanical distorsion, just when a hard bass is kickin' then the distorsions comes in place, in lack of juice.

I tried it at my brothers desktop speakers, it has some stupid headphone amp, and it produced a clean, long, deep bass, but the noise and stuff was another tale.

I mean, i'm sure that the amp, even a small one will do justice, just i can't wait, because i allready spent so much and i got nothing till some more is spent
wink.gif

Damn you head-fi demons
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 5
Ayup. Doing much of the same right now, since I sent my JMT off to a friend for testing. The SBLive simply doesn't have the juice: highs are closed in, mids are grungy, and lows just aren't there. I found that with the JMT (or my normal headamp, the most excellent jack on my Marantz integrated), that the HD600s can kick out a serious amount of bass -- more than most speaker/sub combinations below certain price points.
smily_headphones1.gif

IIRC the Grados could give even more slam, but I'm no longer sure if that's necessary a *good* thing!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back