TOTALDAC DAC
Mar 24, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #571 of 593
Hello Cladane,
The noise of this electronic system is low enough (I checked using the Focal Utopia headphone), and by security there are 4 jack outputs with attenuator and 4 direct outputs.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #572 of 593
That is interesting. I haven't seen that device before. I would not be so happy doing that long term though, 20v into a HP will blow it up and permanently damage your hearing as well. Unless there is some form of limiter or step down transformer. I am using the Metrum Aurix to our my LCD4s. The amp is very simple, really a impedance corrector with most of the circuit designed to protect the HPs.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #573 of 593
Of course max power into the headphone (and hearing) would be too too much via the direct output, so the volume as to be kept quite low, which is not a problem. This is the case for most amplifiers anyway.
There are also 4 outputs with built-in attenuators. These make a strong protection.

This amplifier is not vastly more expensive than a Viva Audio 845 headphone amplifier for example.

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #574 of 593
Interesting. But doesn't the HP output need to be low (50 ohms HPs) or high (200+ ohms) to drive those HPs correctly without FR shift? Or does the pot sat between the HP and the amp outputs do that?

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #577 of 593
"A new youth movement is energizing the high-end audio market"

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-new-youth-movement-in-high-end-audio/

Thanks for sharing. I agree, it is great to see how many young and small innovative audio companies are alive and well!

On the older and some bigger companies it is a bit more worrying. Many are in decline, and most have been bought by investment banks or big fish who thrash the name to death, loose the energy and direction of the original owner etc. I hope this new energy keep going. High end audio is niche, some is affordable, but a lot is heading north to footballer prices IMO.

I bet a lot of guys on this forum have bought (supported) quite a few of these younger companies, so hopefully the future of high end audio is also in the younger bracket of clients as well.

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #578 of 593
totaldac_topology1.jpg

totaldac_topology2.jpg

totaldac_topology3.jpg

totaldac_topology4.jpg

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #582 of 593
Feb 4, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #584 of 593
Thats not a question that can be answered. They are very opposite in their sound and it comes down to what you like. For me, it's Totaldac.
Yeah, I've never heard a totaldac but hear great things from others. I like my tt2 but would like more weight and even better timbre. Nothing too warm though. May just have to take the jump and see 😁

Just worried me how quiet totaldac purchases and info has been on here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back