TOTALDAC DAC
Jan 2, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #421 of 593
Yellow
As recommended on TotalDACs homepage I use MPaD on my Ipad with the D1 Server. Most users use it with NAS, I am using a SSD with an OWC enclosure (driven by a 5V battery). That version is easy to use and the sound is fantastic.

If you want to use Tidal or Qobuz you have to install Ipeng 8 on your Ipad. You will find Tidal and Qobuz preinstalled in the "App-gallery" in Ipeng. I had to go into the Logitech Media Browser (you reach it via "cubox:9000" in the Safari-browser) and change some settings first (important: change the audio quality settings to "best - but slowest"). I never heart Wimp (which is the same as Tidal in Germany and Scandinavia) that good.

BUT you have to install a different firmware on the D1 Server first if you want to use Tidal or Qobuz. It takes some time to install it (plus hours to download it - 16GB!) and you have to change the micro-SHDC card in the server, but it´s not complicated. If you then want to hear from your NAS or extern harddisc again you just have to switch to MPaD on your Ipad (you have to press the "switch off" bottom in Ipeng first). Very easy and everything works fine.

I have two SHDC cards though and I change them when I want to hear via Ipeng/Wimp because the "only-MPaD" firmware sounds best. This is the only drawback with the D1 server. If you want to hear Tidal/Qobuz but at the same time you don´t want to compromize about sound-quality - you have to change the cards. And that means it can take some time to preload all your music files again.

But overall sound quality is the best i have heart, miles ahead my old CAPS server with Auralic Vega DAC.
blue

Hey , I'm about to order D1server , vinsent recommend me to use NAS, however I saw you're using SSD with an OWC enclosure (driven by a 5V battery), could you give me more info about it

Thx

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #422 of 593
Yellow
blue

Hey , I'm about to order D1server , vinsent recommend me to use NAS, however I saw you're using SSD with an OWC enclosure (driven by a 5V battery), could you give me more info about it

Thx

I changed to NAS after the D1 server with new Firmware didn´t see my SSD anymore. I don´t know if Vincent solved the problem by now.

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #424 of 593
anyone heard the new D1 six?
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-six-en.htm

i'm particularly interested as this is an upgrade path for the D1-dual and can also house the server in the same box.

also have some questions:
1.  being in the same box, i wonder if the re-clocker in the server is still used/needed?
2.  how do six r2r chains fit into a balanced output?  i understand 4 in the dual (1 for each leg of each channel) but 6????  or am i missing something?

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #426 of 593
The d1-six does not contain the reclocker, only the server if you get that particular option. Haven't heard it yet but unless you prefer single-box solutions, I'd go for the d1-dual + d1-server (which has the reclocker).

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #427 of 593
Another PC on the network !  This is exactly what we try to avoid when going the "music server route" !! :frowning2:  

Just in case you missed the memo: that 'music server' is nothing but a PC .. same is the so called 'network streamer' addon. And generally, there is no way to play digital music without a PC .. absolutely none.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #428 of 593
Just in case you missed the memo: that 'music server' is nothing but a PC .. same is the so called 'network streamer' addon. And generally, there is no way to play digital music without a PC .. absolutely none.

Well, for me, an Aurender or an ARIES do not behave like a PC  (even if inside there is some sort of computer)

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #430 of 593
I am also confused by the topology with 6 converter boards. Vincent mentionned the d1 six gives you same top performance out of xlr and rca / phone, does that mean one possibility is that the balanced circuit uses 4 conversion boards and the unbalanced uses another 2, independently?

That does not make much sense to me as that would probably mean doubling circuit in some places dowstream the dacs and no increase in SQ out of xlr outputs that don't see benefits from extra 2 converter boards.

Besides integrating the server he also mentions the D1 six includes latest "improved" output stage. I wonder if half the battle is there and it might be more cost effective to just get an existing single or dual have their output stage renewed...

Cheers,
Arnaud

Jan 9, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #431 of 593
Well, for me, an Aurender or an ARIES do not behave like a PC  (even if inside there is some sort of computer)

I guess this sounds quite pedantic to you (and many others) but you should try to use the proper terms.

An old & buggy Windows laptop and a new Aurender are both 100% PCs and both do 'behave like a PC' .. in the exact same way that an 1980 Honda and a new Ferrari are both cars and do behave like cars.
Sry for the offtopic & hopefully the car analogy did help. This sort of confusion only helps 'smart businessmen' to sell $10000 'music servers' when a 'normal' box from synology/qnap/etc does the same thing ... 5x or more cheaper and you may even learn some usefull pc-stuff when using it. Put it on LPS if you believe in that sort of thing, it's still *much* cheaper than those 'music servers'.

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #432 of 593
I guess this sounds quite pedantic to you (and many others) but you should try to use the proper terms.

An old & buggy Windows laptop and a new Aurender are both 100% PCs and both do 'behave like a PC' .. in the exact same way that an 1980 Honda and a new Ferrari are both cars and do behave like cars.
Sry for the offtopic & hopefully the car analogy did help. This sort of confusion only helps 'smart businessmen' to sell $10000 'music servers' when a 'normal' box from synology/qnap/etc does the same thing ... 5x or more cheaper and you may even learn some usefull pc-stuff when using it. Put it on LPS if you believe in that sort of thing, it's still *much* cheaper than those 'music servers'.

PC stands for personal computer. Normally it can be used to do many different tasks depending on software program, graphic cart etc. A music server is design for only one purpose to stream digital info from a disc or Internet to a DAC. Yes you can rebuilt it to be a PC, but then it would not be a dedicated music server anymore. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #433 of 593

PC stands for personal computer. Normally it can be used to do many different tasks depending on software program, graphic cart etc. A music server is design for only one purpose to stream digital info from a disc or Internet to a DAC. Yes you can rebuilt it to be a PC, but then it would not be a dedicated music server anymore. 

I don't think that's the point he's trying to make..

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #434 of 593
The performance that Vincent gets out of his little server is quite incredible to my ears. I really feel no need to upgrade, but some care should be taken to optimize the network. That includes using his Ethernet Cable/Filter's (these things really work!!), turning off everything in the NAS that is not used, using linear supplies for the Router and NAS, proper grounding....

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #435 of 593
Most of us have moved beyond vinyl and CD players because servers offer much more convenience, I think we can agree on that.  But the implementation of the music server is where many disagree because we each value different things -- ease of use, portability, reliability, form factor, heat generation, power consumption, aesthetics (wife acceptance factor), internal vs external storage,  connection options (USB, SPDIF, etc), software compatibility (Roon, Qobuz, Spoitfy, MQA, etc), value, and of course, sound quality.  There's no one server that does it all, at least none that I have found, and so each of us has to accept compromise in one area or another.  

With @Bmichels, he owns two homes and he travels between his homes regularly and he likes to travel with his music and so he is looking for something that sounds great, is portable with internal storage and with as few extra components as possible (like a NAS) and so I think that is what he meant.

At the same time, I would agree that NAS functionality has come a long way.  They're designed to run 24/7, they're reliable, and yes, they're inexpensive. You can run software like JRiver directly from your NAS and soon, Roon (if this is your preference) should have a QPKG for the QNAP where you can run Roon off the NAS without a PC and control it from a tablet.  But NAS devices can't connect directly to your DAC, at least not yet, and so they cannot be considered music servers by themselves, not in the same way an Aurender or TotalDac server can.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back