Total newbie suggestions: currently AKG K514, circumaural, unamped, max 300€
Jan 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lorthirk

New Head-Fier
Hello all, it's my first post here even if I spent the last days trying to get an idea by reading you... unfortunately, now I'm even more confused :frowning2:

Tomoroow it's my birthday, and so I decided to gift myself with a pair of good headphnes. Right now I'm using an AKG K514... but I'd like to make a sort of jump ahead.

I considered a lot of models: Sennheiser HD 600/650, the full Beyer 770/880/990 lineup... but really I can't figure out which suits me best. I don't have an amp right now, and I would buy it only if it stays in the budget (300€ at max, but sparing money isn't exactly my favourite hobby, so it really must be a good improvement). I would use them from my laptop, iPod nano 3g or HTC Desire.

I don't exactly now if I'm a so called "basshead"... but yes, I like basses. I listen mostly to symphonic and progressive metal, and some alternative rock. I would use the earphones mainly at home in my room, so an open headphone shouldn't be an issue (maybe I'll buy some in-ear headphone some time in the future if I have to travel somewhere).

So... these are the basic info. I would really appreciate an help from you to avoid to spend money that doesn't reflect the value of the purchase. Thanks for any suggestion.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 4
No one can suggest me anything? How much of its potential would I gain if I drive the Beyer 990 32ohm with a FiiO e5? I could get them both for about 300€, that's just my budget.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 4
If you search the forum, there's a dedicated post for this kind of discussion, if you post there you can be sure you will get some great recommandations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back