Total newbie questions!
May 6, 2002 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jcmkk

New Head-Fier
Alright, first off I'm a total newbie. Sadly the only headphones that I even own are some cheap Sony MDR-CD60's. I'm getting bored with building PCs so I want to take up a new hobby. I really enjoy music so I figured that this would be a good one. To start off with, I want to get a nice set of headphones. I'm not really sure what to look for. I'm not really obsessed with bass so the Grado line seemed like a nice place to start. I've heard good things about the SR-125's, but some say that they don't sound good unless you use them with an amp. I was reading around the forum and heard Alessandro-Grado mentioned. The people that mentioned them said that they were just rebadged Grado's that were cheaper. I can't seem to find any place online that sells them though. I also want to know what the good headphone review sites are, and the good online stores that sell headphones. I don't really want to spend anymore than $300 for a total setup (including amp if needed). Can anyone aquaint me with the world of high end headphones?

May 6, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 13
First off, welcome to Head-Fi jcmkk.
smily_headphones1.gif

Before we can point you in the right direction, there are some things that we need to know:
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What type of music do you listen to primarily?
  3. What is going to be your primary source?
  4. Are you willing to invest in a dedicated headphone amp?
  5. Do you want open or closed headphones?
  6. Will you want to use the cans portably?

Here are some other places to look:

HeadRoom
Meier Audio
HeadWize
Grado Labs
Allesandro High End Products

May 7, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 13
As I stated before, I can spend upwards of about $300 for a total headphone system (including an amp if needed). I normally listen to classic rock, blues, jazz, and a little pop. I will most often be listening through the soundcard in my PC (audigy), or my DTS reciever. I don't really have a prefrence on open/closed, but most important is sound quality which I've heard open are best at. I don't really think I will be using them for anything portable.

May 7, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 13
I will be gaming, but not in the usual since. I usually play music in the background with sound effects playing very low in the game. What do you guys think of this solution. I get a pair of Grado SR-125's and a pair of Ety ER-6's. After reading through the forums, the Ety's really interested me. That way, I would have an easily transportable pair of headphones to use at LAN parties without worrying about breaking them. How does the sound of the Ety's compare to the Grado's? I know they aren't really in the same category, but I'd like to get a decent idea.

May 7, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 13
exactly Glue, plus something that's really super comfortable so you can frag away for hours on end.

For positioning in games I have heard that the high end sennheisers are good. A good pair of 590's should do well with the audigy (I think?), or you can get a cheap amp, and run 590's 580's or 600's. Of course none of these cans are portable, so you'll have to go with some cheap Koss ksc-35's to round things out.

May 7, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Shoot, I didn't see the part about not worrying about breaking them. Well, now you're in trouble. You'll be hard pressed to find headphones that sound good for music listening that are not easily breakable AND are open and good for positional audio to use at LAN parties.

May 7, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 13
I'm not really worrying about breaking the headphones. I was just thinking of it as a positive point for the Ety's. I can see your point on comfort and the ability to hear teamates while gaming. I still like the Ety's though. Does anyone have any comparisons between the Ety's and normal headphones sound quality wise? I actually don't have an Audigy right now, but that was the sound card I was planning to get. So the Santa Cruz is better for headphones? I was thinking about getting the Hercules Fortissmo II since it uses the same sound processor as the Santa Cruz, and is about half the price. I just noticed that some people are building their own amps. Does anyone have plans for a good cheap amp to build?

May 7, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for all of the responses so far! You headphone guys seem much more helpful than the hifi guys. I must stress, however, that I'm not too worried about positioning and gaming characteristics in my headphones. I just want some that sound really good with music.

May 7, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 13
Yea, the Cruz is the best prosumer card for music. In order to get something better in music, you need to get a card that basically CAN'T game...

And you DONT WANT Grado's for extended gaming sessions. Trust me on this.

This looks like an interesting combo....

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0000000014

However, I find it a hassle to plug my airhead into my Cruz...

I'd get something maybe that is more suited to being plugged in, maybe??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back