Total newbie here to Piano-help me out?
Feb 25, 2006 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
So ive been learning about (and have bought) quite a bit of Classical...so thanx to everyone who replied to my recent threads on the subject.

My goal now is to learn a little about Piano; mind you-I know basically nothing. What I do know is that I love the really beauitful, emotional and sometimes darker material...the kind of music gives you chills and makes you stop everything else youre doing.
All I have now is the soundtrack to "The Piano" by Michael Nyman which I think is incredible. I consider this to be more "rainy day" type music, a little darker and more emotional than other stuff ive heard which sometimes is too upbeat or "poppy" for me. Forgive me for my lack of proper terminologies...

Can you suggest some good starter material?
Maybe there is a "collection" or "best of" cd that would be good?

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm confused, you want what? A starter disk on classical piano? Also, are you saying you want more like The Piano soundtrack, or something contrasting it more?

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
I'm confused, you want what? A starter disk on classical piano? Also, are you saying you want more like The Piano soundtrack, or something contrasting it more?

Definitely along the line of "the Piano"; Nyman, Glass, Reich etc...
Although I am open to anything.
Recently watched the movie "SHINE" again and renewed my interests. There was some powerful, dark and beautiful crap in that movie (Rachmaninoff, Schumann, Chopin, etc.)
I just want it to be powerful and emotional-as mentioned above, some piano ive heard is too light-hearted and pop sounding, which I dont like.
Thanx.

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 12
I play the piano myself and am into jazz.

I recommend you checkout Chick Corea's Expressions and Dave Grusin's Gershwin Connection.

Yeah they might not be what you are thinking - pure piano music - but it is a good starter to get you excited about how amazing the piano is.

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 12
Well, you definitely need to check out some Chopin, then. My personal favourite is (are?) the Nocturnes. Rubinstein certainly does it proud. Then try the Preludes and the Etudes. L, just get everything by him.

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Well, you definitely need to check out some Chopin, then. My personal favourite is (are?) the Nocturnes. Rubinstein certainly does it proud. Then try the Preludes and the Etudes. L, just get everything by him.

I apologize if this is an ignorant question-
When you say "Rubinstein does it proud"; this means there are a variety of recordings of the same pieces played by different Pianists?

EDIT: I looked up Nocturnes and there are quite a few CDS...any one specific album I should be looking for?
I found an album called "Romantic Classic-the Best" -have you heard of it?

EDIT/EDIT: Ive found Rubinstein, Pollini and Pires for the Nocturnes. Apparently, only Pires has all 21 on one disc and is the best recording of the three. Does the interpretor/interpretation really vary greatly between the three?
So many interpretations...
Help! (lol)

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, with classical music, there are zillions of performances of the same pieces. What I was trying to say was that I like Rubinstein's performance of them. I have not heard the Pires, will have to pick that up.

(You'll find yourself doing this, too, eventually -- having multiple performances of your favourite pieces.)

Beyond a certain point (most modern recordings), fidelity does not matter as much as performance. (Some people go too far with this -- MHO -- willing to listen to a carpy mono, frequency-limited version of a fantastic performance. Not me.)

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #8 of 12
While you're at it, pick up this (should be André Watts doing Saint-Saëns' 2nd Piano Concerto and a Tchaikovsky).

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 12
Start with just plain virtuoso material - Keith Jarett has an amazing solo performance on ECM... I forget what it's called! Anyway, google search that and pick it up immediately! The excitement and emotion of jazz piano, but the structure and composition quality of classical - it's a great place to start.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 12
JS Bach - The Well-Tempered Clavier

Daniel Barenboim or Glenn Gould. But if you go with Gould, prepare to hear a piano handled in a kind of usual way...

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell_Gopher
JS Bach - The Well-Tempered Clavier

Daniel Barenboim or Glenn Gould. But if you go with Gould, prepare to hear a piano handled in a kind of usual way...

Any specific albums for the above...I really am clueless in this area...what kind of piano is this anyways?
Id really like to stick to the darker, more emotional, lush pieces for now.

Im already looking into Chopins nocturnes, should I be looking inot any Rachmaninoff, Schubert or Litsz?

thanx for the help guys.

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Start with just plain virtuoso material - Keith Jarett has an amazing solo performance on ECM... I forget what it's called! Anyway, google search that and pick it up immediately! The excitement and emotion of jazz piano, but the structure and composition quality of classical - it's a great place to start.

Just one? He's done, like, 12...thousand...

My personal favourites are the Sun Bear Concerts, but everyone is going to like different ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back