Total bithead VS D10?
May 7, 2009 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KONAKONA

Banned
Yes yes more amp recommendations. It's starting to annoy me as well.

Anyway, in order to narrow down the choices a bit I decided to make it portable amps that include a DAC. The amp will spend half of its time in my pocket during school (at least until summer) and the rest of the time hooked up to my computer. As for what it will be driving, mainly my Q40s and KSC75s, but I will probably be buying some yuin G1As around the same time. It will also be used for some other headphones in the future, but nothing really amp demanding seems to be in line just yet.

Other than the sonic qualities of both of them, the other thing I am wondering about is standalone DACing. The D10 can be used as just a DAC, while the bithead always uses the amp as well (from what I recall). I will probably be building a staving student eventually, and when I do I'd like to use a DAC with it. Methinks it might be possible to still use the bithead (albeit turned way way way down) but I'm not sure. Help on that would also be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any other portable amp+dac combo recommendations would be appreciated, but the max price is probably about 250, but I'd really like something more in the 150 range. That D10 would be a big stretch, so definitely nothing above that.

May 9, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 12
the 2 arent even in the same league. D10 walks all over the bithead. oh and actually if you are using an amp to emulate a line out, you actually turn it most of the way up, some would say all the way up, but I say around 80%

May 9, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 12
Total Bithead has been out for a while now (many years if you count the original Bithead) and D10 is still a relatively recent DAC/amp and therefore is superior in nearly all aspects due to technological advancements since... and frankly, at their different price points, probably shouldn't be compared. Bithead is by all means an entry level fare while D10 seems to be at the mid/high tier of portable combos.

That does not make the Bithead a bad DAC/amp however. They will have sufficient power to drive even some picky full-size headphones (K701 does surprisingly well with it), and its DAC is pretty good overall (Amp I feel does less so). It also implements the crossfeed, which actually does pretty good with older songs with weird channel separations. Most of all, it's pretty cheap now, and you can pick one up used for low hundreds nowadays. If you want a cheap solution, Bithead will do well on a bang/buck basis and I do recommend it, but if you have the money, by all means go for the superior D10 which has better SQ and MUCH more options to play with.

May 9, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 12
Well got that taken care of quite quick this time. Just depends on how much cash flows in then.

ibasso site says they will be getting more in around mid may, which just happens to be the time I get some more cash. Hopefully it will be in stock when I buy.

Thanks for the replies guys.

EDIT: ugh disregard that, I had to be a retard and start piddling around on the ibasso site and remember about the D2, then when I was searching for a D2 vs bithead comparison I came across a big list of other portable DAC/amps. Now if all of the needed things are in place to get the D10, I'll probably go ahead and get that. However, it looks like there are a bunch of things in the 100-200$ range as well. Do any of them stand out against the bithead or D2? (I'll probably end up buying whatever I get new, so the bithead would be 150$...it's sinking down the list now)

May 11, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 12
iBasso apparently doesn't update their site too often because many people here have said to go ahead and order the D10, and they will still ship it out regardless of it being out of stock on the website.

May 12, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 12
yes, but this time it is actually out of stock as they are short on a few components to fill orders. they are supposed to be starting shipping again in mid-may

May 19, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 12
The iBasso site is actually out of D10 when I ordered it about week weeks ago but they have restocked as of last week and shipping out D10. I just got my today and burning it in right now.

May 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalmathmtcs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso apparently doesn't update their site too often because many people here have said to go ahead and order the D10, and they will still ship it out regardless of it being out of stock on the website.

I agree. I've sent quite a few emails in the past asking when I can purchase the D10 through their website. And the answer was quite amusing, something like, eventually they got the parts they had been short of but they were then trying to fulfill the orders that were made in the period the site stated that the D10 was out of stock. Having heard of this I proceed my order disregarding the out of stock message displayed on the website.

I guess the reason that they don't update the info for the D10 could be simply technically the D10 is in fact out of stock
wink.gif

May 20, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 12
yeah they pretty much make to order; never having enough time or a production line with high enough capacity to actually have stock. simply builing orders as they come in. I bought mine with it saying out of stock and it was shipped less than 2 days later
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah they pretty much make to order; never having enough time or a production line with high enough capacity to actually have stock. simply builing orders as they come in. I bought mine with it saying out of stock and it was shipped less than 2 days later
biggrin.gif

Really?
ph34r.gif

You lucky guy! R u using the topkit then?

May 20, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 12
Same here ... I just went asking them. Ordered on 14th this May, it went out the 15th, received the D10 on the 18th..... meanwhile, that message was on the website all the time. When I first inquired, they said they just got the necessary parts.

May 20, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Yea the iBasso website is never updated except on rare occasion so if you gonna order go ahead and do it. They will send you the product when it is ready and I recommend if you want to keep up with ur order status keep the order number and contact them through their website email.

PS: I usually got a email response with in a day or two going through their email on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back