Total Bithead 2006 Arrives
Apr 1, 2006 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

bobfa

Head-Fier
icon10.gif
I am Amped!

The mechanical build quality is very nice. The jacks and switches appear to be very good quality. The case is very sturdy and the battery cover is a nice touch. The documentation is simple and complete. Nice touch with the cables and the "feet". This is exactly what I expected.

I stuffed some lower bandwidth photos up on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ampme/

I have not listened much yet but it does seem to tame the 770 a bit. Will have to keep burning things in and listen with the E5c.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 19
Any hiss with your E5c? Can you put your computer volume to maximum and adjust the volume with total bithead without it being to loud ?

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 19
I have the volume up all the way and the USB plugged into the laptop docking station there is a little hiss. Very subtle.

I have the gain set to low and there is plenty of control over the volume. The volume does come up fast with the E5c so take care. About 1/8 of a turn to get to a quiet listening level for me.

Also do not leave the E5c plugged in when you plug the USB in there is a pretty loud pop!

I will undock the laptop and try the internal USB ports later.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 19
Can't wait--ordered mine today.

Anybody know whether the bithead is powerful enough to drive the K701's to their potential? I understand they are hungry cans.

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 19
I've been using Foobar 2000 (without the most recent update) with my new Total BitHead since the amp showed up; works great. I'm coming to prefer the combination to my old PCDP.

The step up (or down) with the new Total BitHead's gain switch seems substantial. At least a dB or 2. I personally prefer the frequency response range, clarity and soundstage open circumaural cans for most listening and use my Ety 4S when sound isolation is necessary.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
Anybody know whether the bithead is powerful enough to drive the K701's to their potential? I understand they are hungry cans.

I'm also very curious about the power of the new Total Bithead. Jude mentioned (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=172063) that it was able to power the HD650s. How about the DT880s? Tempting amp.. I might end up ordering one soon.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 19
Upon further consideration, I think I'm going to cancel my Bit Head order and go for the Headroom Micro Stack (Dac/Amp combo). I'd probably wind up there anyway eventually, and since the Micro DAC supports USB, I think I'll be happier. My wallet, of course, will be less happy.

Apr 2, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
Upon further consideration, I think I'm going to cancel my Bit Head order and go for the Headroom Micro Stack (Dac/Amp combo). I'd probably wind up there anyway eventually, and since the Micro DAC supports USB, I think I'll be happier. My wallet, of course, will be less happy.

It is a interesting thought but why not let the Bithead come give it a listen and order the micro stack send one back thats the only way to know if you are doing the right thing.

I am sure the micro stack sound is a more detailed,I would say a fuller sounding amp and dac. it was a while since I listened to one (this summer at a meet) but the bithead is so simple and small,cute and sounds great while typing on the computer or reading on the computer.

I have a SR-71 and I am a big fan of that sound. What I am saying is you also have the option of another amp. and the headroom DAC which is a fine product. You have lots of choices you could make. I had thought of my SR-71 and the micro DAC, for my computer rig but the simplisity(sp) and the new lower price and great new sound made the Total Bithead a great choice for my small desk and my musical needs and movies sound great too!

If you are like many of us the micro stack will not be the end of the road. Look at my Profile I had no headphones at all one year later I could have a mini meet.

Good luck and there are no wrong choices, listen and enjoy the music.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx
Good luck and there are no wrong choices...

Well, Bose Triports and an Simpl A1 amp for your iPod.
basshead.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 19
markmaxx said:
It is a interesting thought but why not let the Bithead come give it a listen and order the micro stack send one back thats the only way to know if you are doing the right thing.

Thanks Mark; definitely advice worth pondering. I shall ponder today and decide tonight.

So many flavors; so few dollars...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back