total Airhead 4.5
Jun 18, 2002 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pdc

New Head-Fier
I've had my total airhead for about 2 wks. I use them with my ER4S. Great sound. However, I was wondering if this amp is the best for these phones. What is your opinion? I can return them to Headphone if I want to upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm a little confused. If you are getting great sound from the combination, why break up the set? FWIW, I have the ET4P with the TAH and I really like the combination. But I have not tried any of the other portable amps in the TAH class.

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 8
Yes, going up the chain in headroom amps will give you greater sound quality.

The supreme will sound better than the total airhead, the cosmic will sound better than the supreme, and the cosmic reference will sound better than the cosmic. But each one costs successively more, and the quality increase gets smaller with each jump. The better the product, the lower the price/performance ratio.

Also, if you want portable, remember that while the cosmic is technically 'portable' that it is very heavy, and requires a 4D cell battery pack!! You pay for quality, and not just with money, but with your back, lugging the thing around.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want better than what you have, and have got money to burn, then go for one of the bigger headroom amps, it will be everything you like about the total airhead, but MORE. But if you are happy with the total airhead, go ahead and keep it! No pressure to upgrade, the total airhead is a great amp, and with only 3 AAA batteries, its very light and portable. I'm very happy with mine.

peace,
phidauex

Jun 18, 2002 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by pdc
Sorry. while the total airhead gives great sound, I am wondering if I could get even better sound with a supreme, cosmic or some other amp?
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I have both the TAH and Cosmic Reference and there is a big difference between the two. The Cosmic is more powerful, much bigger/bulkier and cost a lot more.
wink.gif
Most of my portable listening is with the Cosmic using the Travelers Bag and either the HD600 or AGK501 headphones. Unlike the TAH, the Cosmic drives both of these headphones very well. If I want isolation with the Cosmic, I use the ET4P with the ET4S conversion cable. But my choice for traveling is the TAH/Airbag/ET4P, which gives me great sound in a small, very compact package. The Airbag package fits inside my notebook case and the controls are easy to access when in tight quarters, like an airline seat.

I also agree with phidauex. If you are happy with your current TAH/ET4S setup, enjoy it and don't worry about upgrading yet. Believe me, you stick around this forum and there will be plenty of urges to upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif
But even if you get a bigger amp later, I think you will still appreciate the sound and portability of the TAH. At least I do.

Jun 18, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Phidauex said:
Quote:

The supreme will sound better than the total airhead

Yes, this is true, but many say that the CHA-47 delivers nearly the same calliber sound for a very small fraction of the price. For the supreme, you're paying for the build quality, the reliability, the collaboration from Headroom it required to build it, etc. Get the CHA-47 and sell your TAH. Many say that the CHA-47 beats the Porta Corda and the TAH. Although, Tangent now says that he can build a basic META42 for the same price as a CHA-47, and considering the theoretic principle behind the design of the META42 is more advanced and is a larger window into good sound for cheap when compared to the CHA-47, I really should be telling you to go that route instead.

Jun 18, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 8
I have the TAH and Ety ER4S. I want to upgrade my amp too, but not at the expense of giving up my TAH. For portability, I think the TOH is great, and preferred to the porta corda and JMP amps in terms of ease of use. The TOH is very light, takes three easy to obtain and cheap AAA batteries, and the slider volume wheel stays where I set it when the TAH sits in my shorts pocket at the gym. Basically, I hardly know the TAH is there next to my pcdp or mp3 player -- except for the improved sound!

I want a new headphone amp for home -- probably a Corda HA-1 -- but I'm not giving up my TAH to buy one.

Michael

Jun 18, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
... many say that the CHA-47 delivers nearly the same calliber sound

...Many say that the CHA-47 beats the Porta Corda and the TAH.
[/B]

So basically you have not owned all three for an actual comparison but instead are advising pdc based on hearsay.
rolleyes.gif

pdc: If you have a list of amps you are interested in, do a forum search on those amps. You will find some really good threads on just about every amp available. That was how I decided on my amps and headphones, and I've been pleased with the purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back