Toslink signal switcher/selector device, one source to two outputs?
Sep 21, 2014 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Freegrazer

New Head-Fier
Hey folks.

I'm looking for a switcher/selector/splitter/thingy/yokey-me-bob to allow me to do the following:

I want to be able to use ONE of the above configurations at any one time, not both simultaneously.

Ideally I'd like a third output in there as well, but I need to be able to conveniently switch between the 3 outputs. 

Of course, it is of the utmost importance that the splitter/switch does not degrade the source signal in any way.  In the past, every signal switcher/splitter device I've ever used whether HDMI switchers or even the old SCART switchers caused a very noticeable degradation in the signal.  I also want to avoid a delay in the signal which may cause A/V sync issues.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

(Note: the cables connecting to the Mixamp and the Recon3D are both optical)

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 6
Could this be what you're looking for:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZSB.html

Forget it, I just noticed your note at the end of your post. The above switch is RCA analog stereo only; no optical ins or outs.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 6
I don't know the answer to your question, but instead of "whatchamacallit" in the title, probably want to edit your post title and rewrite to say "toslink" or "optical" switcher. Given that what you want is sort of a niche device that very few people are likely to use, best to be as precise as you can to catch that right person's attention :)

That being said, I would be surprised if you would get delay from using an optical switch, other than the initial delay of switching over to the other device.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 6
I don't know the answer to your question, but instead of "whatchamacallit" in the title, probably want to edit your post title and rewrite to say "toslink" or "optical" switcher. Given that what you want is sort of a niche device that very few people are likely to use, best to be as precise as you can to catch that right person's attention
smily_headphones1.gif

Done!  Good idea, thanks man 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've seen cheap versions of what I want on Amazon but the reviews attached to them are poor.
I'm sure somebody knows where I can find a decent one

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 6
I think it's such a niche device that you might have to post on a variety of Internet forums to find someone that has found a good one.

Also, see if you can reverse the direction with an optical switch from how it was designed. In other words, it may work fine to use a switch with dual optical inputs to one output in your situation. Analog audio switches generally work fine that way. I don't know about optical, but I wonder why not? :)

It seems that Amazon has quite a few multiple toslink input switches that get good reviews.

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah I've read through reviews for some of the devices on Amazon.  Very hard to tell if some of the devices work in the "direction" I want it to. 

A reviewer for one of the devices I saw confimerd that he'd used it to route audio from a TV optical output to his wireless headphones as well as a soundbar, so he had one source to two outputs.  However he then went on to say that he mutes the soundbar when using the headphones, meaning there is audio through both at the same time, and that's a dealbreaker!!

It's certainly a tricky one to research.  I'll keep looking, and as you suggest I can try posting on other forums to see if I can find the droids I'm looking for...

Cheers bud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back