Toshiba SD-P2000 Widescreen Portable DVD/CD Player
Jul 7, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 11
check my recent thread also....

i just came back from a week on vacation with this new unit; here's why it's going back:

1. won't play my MP3 CDs....recorded at 320 kbps...says it will.

2. battery drains even without use. i fully charged the battery the night b4 a flight.....got about 5 minutes use. defect?

3. make sure you see unit WITH battery...it more than doubles the depth...to about 3"-4" and doubles the weight.

4. the picture (on the LCD) is outstanding on bright scenes...and from the perfect viewing angle. otherwise...off-angle...or dark scenes.......forget it.

what a big dissapointment.

JAGGERS.... did you get yours???

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for your reply! I saw Austin Powers 2 playing on it at a local Sharper Image store and it looked great since that had a lot of bright scenes. What about the CD audio quality on it? I'm almost tempted not to waste my time on it now. The battery drain can be a real issue since I've seen digital videocams do the same thing. The added depth with the battery really is a disappointment for this model. Guess it will be a waiting game for the next model from Toshiba or Panasonic then.

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 11
for example..on Jurassic Park 3....walking over the bridge in the fog...unwatchable!

cd quality was average.

another problem: can't play audio CD without screen flipped open and on!

Jul 8, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 11
Yikes! Even my old notebook PC can play an audio CD without the screen up. I think I'll stick to my Compaq notebook.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 11
Hmm. I got it and so far overall I like it. The picture quality is outstanding, with an admittedly small optimal viewing angle without degradation in picture quality. This isn't an issue if you are watching movies alone or with a loved one (my wife), but may present problems for friends with insecurities about their sexuality.
tongue.gif

Sound quality is generally ok, with a notable weak dynamic range with the built-in speakers (which they shrunk to expand the screen from 8 inch to 8.9 inch - 1500 to 2000 model). I suppose this is to be expected to a degree, but I was still disappointed. I even tested the 1500 right next to the 2000 with a few scenes from Diehard, and there was a significant difference in speaker power, and overall texture, with the 1500 edging out the 2000. Oddly enough the 1500 is still priced $150 more than the 2000. Still, this makes no difference if you use the line out->amp->headphone route, as most of us would do anyway.

Dual headphone jacks are a nice convenience, but I ended up going with a Kimber splitter to accomodate my wife and I through the cosmic when we travel together. For $79 I expected better out of the splitter (it has a background hum and there is degradation of sound, even on my home system), but part of this may be just standard loss when any signal is split, and it gets minimal use anyway so no worries. The dual headphone line out is acceptable quality, and should be fine for most users (ER-4P and Sony V6 tested, both fine with an obvious boost to the Etys).
The quality of the line out is excellent, no complaints there, using a cosmic with ER-4P/Ss.

You can play CDs with the screen almost closed, but it *is* a design flaw that the Toshiba "screen saver" is on 24/7, wasting precious portable battery power for absolutely nothing.

The battery makes this player a heavy person, and it BARELY fits into the larger headroom traveler bag with the cosmic. I am still able to turn it into a traveling theater though without too much fiddling around. The life in the included battery is about 2 movies (3.5 hours), and I've had no problems with residual battery drain (Robbster I think your battery may be bad?) I tested this a few days ago by charging it and leaving it unused for about, oh, 30 hours, and then watched Gladiator and most of The Matrix before it kicked off from battery drain. The extended life battery is reported to last 5 hours, but the person is $179 at it's cheapest on the net, and most of the net places that have it for under $200 (msrp $250) are out of stock.
mad.gif
I opted to blow the extended battery off in lieu of just buying a decent pcdp to handle the music end on long trips, which btw is why I checked this forum tonight in the first place, haha. There will be some hassle bringing both the dvd player and the pcdp and the amp etc, and switching it all out, but this will only really happen on overseas flights, and I've got a backpack for those flights anyway, so no big deal. Also, if you fly business class on most airlines these days they have jacks you can use to power the portable, but I haven't personally confirmed the type of power source or what adapters may be needed (if any).

MP3's *can* be played but it's a real pain in the ass: the SD-P2000 requires a boatload of specifications - eight letter name maximum, 320 kbps, etc - it's all listed on page 32 of the manual that ships with the product. The list is long enough for me to say with authority that you should not consider using this device for MP3 playback (basically seconding Robb's statement).

BOTTOM LINE:

Pros:
* excellent video image quality
* full color and picture manipulation controls
* progressive output format ability
* sound reproduction through line out jack
* bitstream out jack (DTS)
* dual headphone jacks - acceptable sound
* unit comes with standard cables for audio line out/video out
* remote control
* zoom feature (minimal degradation of picture resolution)
* can be used as a spare home dvd player, say, in a bedroom, with line out (svideo), bitstream, and powered by wallwart.

Cons:
* a bit heavy and cumbersome; larger than most dvd portables.
* weak sound through built-in speakers
* possible battery life issues (Robbster)
* pain in the ass MP3 playback requirements
* expensive at near $800

Hope this helps.

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 11
great to hear from you Jaggers....

i agree with you. the PQ is excellent...on angle...and it's not that restrictive an angle really. but on the dark scenes with low contrast...i had issues.

also...i must have gotten a bad battery.

anyhow, i just returned mine: lack of mp3...means i didn't want a replacement. plus frankly, the battery pack does make this thing a pig. someone suggested a Fujitsu B series notebook...not that much bigger!

Jaggers...i'm also in the market for a PCDP with MP3 playback...and have read all the recent posts. looks like the Sony or the SlimX.

Rob

Jul 9, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Robster - have you narrowed down which models would be best? For general pcdp the forums tend to favor older models that are only available on Ebay and such...I'm lookin for something I can get at a store basically, and MP3 format availability on the player would be sweet. Also, the line out>amp>headphone is the route that is most important for me, rather than a good headphone jack; not sure if you're in that boat too Rob.

Any suggestions would be helpful from the community. Thanks in advance everyone.

Jul 10, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 11
based on my (admittedly less than thorough) research....i would lean towards this unit. it's $169 on Amazon this week.

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 11
Jagger,

I'm in the market as well. I'm having a hard time deciding between the sony and the iriver one. I believe it depends on how you plan on listening to it. CDs, MP3, amped or not amped, how you have your MP3s (VBR, etc), which headphones.

It sounds like the SlimX is the best for MP3 music. And can play a wide variety of formats, even has firmware upgrades. Direct out of the headphone out, people have complained about hiss. Your Etys would bring this out even more. Physically smaller than the Sony, but heavier due to the two gum stick batteries.

The sony is cheaper (I think retail around $130), but does not come with a remote (US model). Has some reported problems with VBR MP3s, but overall sound quality is pretty smooth. I suppose on par with other recent sony products. Takes AA batteries.

I have the ER4P without an amp. I think I would get the SlimX (love that remote) but am concerned about the sound quality. Also, the line out volume is adjusted about the main volume control.

Still haven't made a decision - probably make one in the next week. Temped to test drive both from Best Buy or something...

Hope this helps. All without even listening to them.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back