toshiba gigabeat f60...anybody own one?
May 4, 2005 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
The gigabeat f60 intrigues the bejeezus outa me. Does anyone here actually own one of these? I'm also wondering if there's a way to get lineout outa one of these (besides via cradle). I wonder if they sell (or plan to sell) some kinda pocket dock / sik din type of device.

Peace,

Graz

May 5, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 13
if ur from taiwan...

go to mobile01.com

go to the forums DAP section and there is a review
wink.gif

May 5, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 13
I think the availability of the F-series is still very limited, if its available at all. Someone from here posted a link to a review for an older series Gigabeat.

http://www.minidisct.com/forum/showt...threadid=27400

I researched these players a bit. The problems I have are the encryption that the players do and the meager headphone amps (6 mw into 16 ohms). Also, some of the models don't have a custom equalizer, only presets. I think the F-series does have a custom one, but it may be only 4 bands. Its a slick looking design though and the players seem very well made.

May 5, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Wow...very nice review, unfortunately I can't read it (but the photos say a lot). I've got pretty weak mandarin skills at this point, and all my study has been with pinyin...not a lot of character recognition at this point.

Anyway...these are actually available, in Taipei at least. I've seen one place selling them. I think I might just have to take the plunge on this one. The thing looks so sweet, and the screen is flat out gorgeous. Now if only it sounds good...bah, minor detail LOL!

Peace,

Graz

May 6, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 13
My friend has one (actually two, but that's another story). Some short comments:

- sound quality ok (hasn't given me more accurate comment yet)
- it IS USB mass storage
- drivers (used to be) Japan/Asia only
- You need to transfer the music using the Toshiba software, or the player won't recognize it (it has it's own database)
- appears to be Linux based (?)
- Screen is gorgeous. Better than any of the iRiver models we've tried (we saw just about every single model on our recent Tokyo trip)
- size is very nice. Not as thick as iRiver H300 series
- battery life could be longer

As for menus, software, naviation, etc... I don't have any on those yet.

regards,
halcyon

May 10, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Well, the f60's are definitely for sale here in Taipei. I've seen multiple places selling them & for now, the best price I've been able to haggle is around $540 USD.

The thing feels uber solid & has a nice heft to it...light, without feeling plasticky...definitely ipod-esque. The screen is jaw-droppin' gorgeous & almost worth the price of admission all on it's own. I didn't get a chance to listen, but man...$540 is just too much in my little world for an hdd-based DAP. I'm hoping that once 60gb permeates the market a little more, the price will come back down to reality a bit. Plus, I wanna wait & see what kinda accessories Toshiba ends up putting out for these. I'd really like to have line out for portable amp usage.

If the prices drop about 10-15% & they come out with a sik din type of device for line out, I think I'm sold. With 60gb of space, I think I can definitely live with WAV.

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back