Torpedo III Build Thread
Oct 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #286 of 322
Thanks - I'd be happy with just the transformers, though.  I sort of like picking the rest of the parts myself.  

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #287 of 322
We've been looking at a different mfr because of physical quality (not sound) issues with the Cinemags. Not sure how that's going to work out yet - or whether we will go back to the Cinemags again. Unfortunately, it will take some time and testing.

That's unfortunate. I've read that Jensen transformers are somewhat similar to Cinemag but maybe more expensive. Knowing Doug's tastes, I'm guessing he'll probably look into Lundahl. Amorphous core could be interesting with parafeed (but I could be assuming incorrectly, some of my fundamentals are a little rusty).

Another interesting thing I've read about is Finemet core material, but it seems rare and extremely expensive. Monolith magnetics (archived) website says they'll make Finemet parafeed transformers (probably intended for speakers). However, I suspect a pair would cost more than the entire maxed Torpedo III kit, which would defeat the purpose to an extent. The high nickel transformers seem to be the best performance value overall.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #288 of 322
There are now two remaining assembled T3's up for sale on beezar.com.  Both should be ready to go at the end of the weekend.  There will be no more.

I removed all the options except for the power cord and LED.  All of the upgrades will be included.

Nov 24, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #289 of 322
Someone buy these and then sell me one come tax refund season. :) Even at the pre-built price, they're a killer deal for the sound quality. I regret having to sell mine, but it was necessary. I know it sounds cliche, but you'd really have to spend a lot more to do better.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #290 of 322
My old Lyr2 that I sold to a friend came back to me this week (for a short stay for review purposes), and man, it's insane how much the TIII just completely blows it away. Like I'd say that the Lyr2 sounds closer to my HiFiMan EF2C than it does the TIII. I have heard a LOT of HD800 setups, and this is still the best amp I've heard for the HD800, regardless of price. Get it maxed out (especially with the output CCS) and throw some GE 5 stars in there, and man does this thing sing with HD800.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #292 of 322
Any plans for a Torpedo IV?

Yes.

I believe all of the following has been mentioned before, just not all in one place. IMHO, the final iteration of the T3 is competitive with any amp in the world for the HD800 (and others). That said, it could still be improved. Besides having become too difficult to build for all but a few, the T3 still has a bit of power supply noise infection from the proximity of the signal traces to the PT. This is below the level of audibility, but it shows up in testing. So, there will no longer be a "torpedo" planform. Also, the T3 still uses capacitors in the signal path to connect the parafeed output transformers. It would be nice to get rid of those entirely (no more giant Mundorfs and Dow Corning cement). We are also looking at changing up the output transformers, but not sure where that will take us, yet. In sum, we are addressing all of these issues with the T4.

Dsavitsk and I also discussed that most of the T4 will be SMD-based. Some parts are simply too difficult to source these days outside of SMD. It also cuts down on the casework costs (but introduces higher investment costs). That will put the difficulty factor up pretty high, so there are no plans to offer kits. They will most likely be mass produced in batches, but a lot of this is unforeseen for the time being.

We are steadily working on all of this now.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #293 of 322
Hello Everyone, 

I just finished my Torpedo 3 with all the mods and my final check for chassis ground showed 2.4V AC between the chassis and earth ground at the duplex receptacle. At least it didnt explode so I was thankful for that.. Does anyone know if this is OK, or if I was supposed to check for current rather than voltage, etc ? I'd love to listen..

Thanks !

MP

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #294 of 322
  Hello Everyone, 

I just finished my Torpedo 3 with all the mods and my final check for chassis ground showed 2.4V AC between the chassis and earth ground at the duplex receptacle. At least it didnt explode so I was thankful for that.. Does anyone know if this is OK, or if I was supposed to check for current rather than voltage, etc ? I'd love to listen..

Thanks !

MP

OK, so there was 2.4V without even touching the chassis, so I figured the anodize was insulating. I checked at safety ground nut and we got zero V... all good I guess..

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #295 of 322

Hello Everyone, 

Thanks !

MP

OK, so there was 2.4V without even touching the chassis, so I figured the anodize was insulating. I checked at safety ground nut and we got zero V... all good I guess..

Glad you found the 2.4V in a little anodizing.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #296 of 322
Wow amazing thread! Thank you for a detailed point by point build progression! Bookmarked this one

Stupid question, what are the power output specs for the Torpedo III

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #297 of 322
Wow amazing thread! Thank you for a detailed point by point build progression! Bookmarked this one

Stupid question, what are the power output specs for the Torpedo III
I think it's somewhere between 250-300mW, but Dsavitsk will have to say for sure. Remember that it's an output transformer-coupled amplifier, so power is roughly equivalent in either the High or Low Z setting. It will power high-impedance headphones or low-impedance headphones with equal authority. It will shy away from very-inefficient planars, but not much else, including the original K701s, which were traditionally very difficult to drive with adequate current. It's a world-class experience with a Senn HD800 - the original, with no harsh peaks, even.

Nov 17, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #299 of 322
I wonder why the lack of love for the T3 here. I guess they are relatively rare, but it is an incredibly good amp that can be had used for under $1k now...

Below $1K would be a great deal, but buyer beware on the used market: not all T3's out there have all the tweaks. It's a different amp (world-class) with all of those. As always, just make sure of what you're buying. :)

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #300 of 322
Below $1K would be a great deal, but buyer beware on the used market: not all T3's out there have all the tweaks. It's a different amp (world-class) with all of those. As always, just make sure of what you're buying. :)

I am still very happy with mine, it's incredibly transparent without sounding "dead"; just amazing for classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back