Torpedo III Build Thread
Jun 22, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #241 of 322
love it when things fit, my monitor stand is just a few mm too short to tuck the torpedo III under. :frowning2:

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #243 of 322
tomb that is quite the amazing packaging job! Everything so neat and well labeled.

I did a quick test fit with the Solens if anyone was curious, since I haven't seen pictures with them. There is plenty of room for 26 mm diameter caps. Going by the way these fit I assume 10uf Obbligato films should be ok at 27 mm diameter? (size verified with the shop owner) http://www.store.diyhifisupply.com/Catalog/parts/capacitors/Obbligato-Special-Film-Teflon-Caps/10uf-Obbligato-film-cap-PPE

I've used Obblis in other amp/phono-stages and like the sound of them quite a bit compared to some much more expensive caps (never tried the super caps like V-Cap or Duelund).
Oh yes and as a recovering transformer junkie the Cinemag OPTs look fantastic in that silver/chrome with blue text
o2smile.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #245 of 322
  tomb that is quite the amazing packaging job! Everything so neat and well labeled.

I did a quick test fit with the Solens if anyone was curious, since I haven't seen pictures with them. There is plenty of room for 26 mm diameter caps. Going by the way these fit I assume 10uf Obbligato films should be ok at 27 mm diameter? (size verified with the shop owner) http://www.store.diyhifisupply.com/Catalog/parts/capacitors/Obbligato-Special-Film-Teflon-Caps/10uf-Obbligato-film-cap-PPE

I've used Obblis in other amp/phono-stages and like the sound of them quite a bit compared to some much more expensive caps (never tried the super caps like V-Cap or Duelund).
Oh yes and as a recovering transformer junkie the Cinemag OPTs look fantastic in that silver/chrome with blue text
o2smile.gif

Thanks for the kind comments on the kit packaging!

Yes, as mentioned elsewhere - I'm a sucker for symmetry, so I would have the two outside Solens flush to the PCB and raise the two in the middle.  You will find that you can even solder three of them flush and then just have one sticking up, but as I said - I like symmetry.
wink.gif
  I haven't tried the Obbligatos, but they're among Dsavitsk's favorites.  If you give them a shot, please let us know how they sound in the Torpedo III!

Jun 24, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #246 of 322

Thanks for the kind comments on the kit packaging!

Yes, as mentioned elsewhere - I'm a sucker for symmetry, so I would have the two outside Solens flush to the PCB and raise the two in the middle.  You will find that you can even solder three of them flush and then just have one sticking up, but as I said - I like symmetry.
wink.gif
  I haven't tried the Obbligatos, but they're among Dsavitsk's favorites.  If you give them a shot, please let us know how they sound in the Torpedo III!

I will probably do something like what you describe with the Obbligatos. I'm not going to use the Solens (too lazy to take apart the amp and desolder :p ), so I'm not sure if my impressions will mean much; I will offer them once the amp is built.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #248 of 322
  tomb I saw the posts at the other forum regarding the new tube CCS, how is it different from the offboard ones that go in IC1 and IC2? Should I hold off in soldering those in? I'm still waiting for the caps to ship from Hong Kong so I'm in no hurry :)

Thanks.

Sorry, but there's some confusion.  There is only one tube CCS and that is the one you have.

The other CCS is completely different and new. It has nothing to do with the tubes.  Instead, it replaces the output resistors in the differential buffer.  It has a much more significant effect than other tweaks.  The PCBs are currently in production (parts are in already).  I expect them to be available in a week or two, perhaps.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #250 of 322
Very nice. Those look like very enjoyable and satisfying builds. Don't look at the Super B.A.F. thread if you're afraid of further upgradeitis though. Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #251 of 322

Sorry, but there's some confusion.  There is only one tube CCS and that is the one you have.

The other CCS is completely different and new. It has nothing to do with the tubes.  Instead, it replaces the output resistors in the differential buffer.  It has a much more significant effect than other tweaks.  The PCBs are currently in production (parts are in already).  I expect them to be available in a week or two, perhaps.

Thanks tomb. After having a look at the schematic is the CCS going into R5/7, R6/8?

Oh yes I received the Obbligatos. Looks like it will be a non-issue fitting them into the amp. So time to start building!

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #254 of 322

R19-R22 for the new CCS boards, I believe.

Yes, the CCS board replaces those emitter resistors.

Yep - the Output CCS boards have arrived.  It may take me a week or two to build them up and test each one, but they'll be available after that.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back