Torn Between Two Lovers, DT250-80 & MDR-V6
Oct 25, 2002 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Well... I got the Beyer DT250s today (as if you hadn't guessed)... and to say i'm impressed would be an understatement... these are great little 'phones
biggrin.gif

Enough said maybe? maybe not... As good as they are (especially with vocals... Hmmmmmm
biggrin.gif
), as Magicthyse has stated, the build quality isn't stellar (especially compared to the V6, which is afterall a lot cheaper!)

Sonically, the bass of the V6 now sounds a bit TOO heavy, a bit too rumbly, and seeing that these are principally the same design of 'phones (and for the same application) i'm mystified as to why the MDR-V6 is so cold in the midrange in direct comparison to the DT250... and the treble is a lot less severe on the Beyers...

That said, if you're not a fan of rich midrange, i'd almost steer clear of the Beyers, they seem to be the exact opposite of the V6, having too much midrange information... Interesting
confused.gif
confused.gif

Soundstage wise, the Beyers win absoloutely hands down... they draw you much further into the music... almost to the point of taking the crown away from my CD1700s ~ but not quite
wink.gif

...and ultimately, if you want a musical pair of 'phones, and don't mind a rich midrange (which I must say sounds good to my ears), and are limited with your budget... the Beyers should most definetly be on your wish list
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

If you said I had to ditch one of these 'phones ~ I couldn't... both have their virtues, and both have their pitfalls... looking purely on a value basis... I think the Sonys still pip the Beyers to the post... but, if you've got extra money ~ and want a pair of headphones that'll do justice to more than just dance music, the Beyers might just be for you...

Anyone care to [dis]agree with me?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 32
ahhh...As soon as I make up my mind toward my first serious purchase, a guy appears with comments like these about headphones I gave up from.
mad.gif

First I wanted DT-250, then I was assured Ultrasone`s HFI-650 are better, then some guy says they don`t have any bass, then someone praises DT250 again...

I`m paranoid.

Oct 25, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 32
Thats it, my V6 are confined to secondary duties only
biggrin.gif

...Now all I need is a more neutral CD Player
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oct 25, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 32
hmm, personally, I really preferred the beyers. The v6s were just too cold and analytical. The beyers are amazing phones for the price. But then, senn 580s are my true love. . .

Oct 25, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 32
Interesting post Duncan. I have been wanting to get something new to replace the V6 for the pass little while now. You have the SR-125 too right, how would you rate the Beyer against them?

In terms of mid and soundstage, who do you think performs better? V6 or Beyer. What about their bass against the V6?

From all the post I've read, you seemed to be one of the few firm believers in the V6
biggrin.gif
(most other think they are good but only compared to other phones in the same price range, while you seem to agree that they can sound great when its paired with the right amp, like the X-Cans). Does the Beyer really justify the change of your opinion?

I wanted to get the DT-770 in the beginning but then decided against it because of people's opinion about their overwhelming bass nature. Can you please compare the bass between the DT-250 and the V6? I really like the bass of V6 because I find to be very well defined and detailed (even more so than the MS1). However I find the soundstage of the V6 is lacking and so is the mid. The Beyer seem to excel in both of those areas and i am impressed to hear that.
smily_headphones1.gif

As of now, the MS1 is still my favourite phones because of its mids and soundstage. I hope that will give you an idea of what I am looking for. BTW, how laid back is the Beyer (compared to V6 of course).
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 32
Pepsione: you sound like a DT531 candidate to me
wink.gif

I don't understand the build quality statements made - sure they're no 770pro, but the plastic they're made out of seems pretty strong to me, I don't see my 250-80s breaking anytime soon.

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 32
Pepsione1

The grados just blow... period! (imo)

The mids are a LOT more apparent on the Beyers than with the Sonys, the treble is calmer, not so harsh... but the bass, with the Beyers, you can hear the drums... but with the Sonys you can go deeper, more rolling (if sounding less refined)... the Beyers are more controlled, but the Sonys are more fun

The Beyer DOES justify the side-shift, just because they sound more complete, nothing is (apparently) missing now...

Soundstage IS much more apparent on the Beyers, not to a huge scale... but a bit more than nothing is still a bit if you catch my drift...

Snufkin...

If you've seen the V6, you'll understand why I think the build quality is less on the Beyers

Oct 26, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 32
I love my V6's. Built like tanks (well not really) but you get the point. And yes, Grados have NO ISOLATION what-so-ever. Unless you only do private listening in a quiet room, I think you should steer clear of Grados.

I hae a question; Whay do guys on Head-Fi not like the V700DJ's? They have superb isolation. I am looking into some nice cans that are less than $150 but have nice bass response but excellent isolation and all metal build. Could one of you headphone-junkies please point me in the right direction?? thanxs.....

-T

Oct 26, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
I love my V6's. Built like tanks (well not really) but you get the point. And yes, Grados have <b>NO ISOLATION</b> what-so-ever. Unless you only do private listening in a quiet room, I think you should steer clear of Grados.

I hae a question; Whay do guys on Head-Fi not like the V700DJ's? They have superb isolation. I am looking into some nice cans that are less than $150 but have nice bass response but excellent isolation and all metal build. Could one of you headphone-junkies please point me in the right direction?? thanxs.....

-T

Beyer DT770s
They can be found under the price you stated.

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 32
I've seen the V6, I didn't think the build quality was that amazing.. more obvious metal bits than the Beyers, but I don't think it's a case of inferior build with the beyers, just different.

tbdoah: what akar said
wink.gif
DT770pro - Great isolation, fantastic build quality, awesome sound.

Oct 26, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 32
who sells them (preferably a US based retailer)??

I saw some ATH phones at Audiocubes (the limited edition art phones) for $300 and as I have that much money tucked away right now for a new MD unit, could anybody reccommend those cans to me??

thanks again for your help
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
who sells them (preferably a US based retailer)??

I saw some ATH phones at Audiocubes (the limited edition art phones) for $300 and as I have that much money tucked away right now for a new MD unit, could anybody reccommend those cans to me??

thanks again for your help
wink.gif

I have some Audio Technicas. Do you plan to use them with your minidiscs or with a proper source?

Oct 26, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 32
thanks tkam. I have been to BH before (aren't they on 6th ave. and like 32nd st?). I like the store, they always had nice stuff in-stock. I'll check them out.

Hi-Fi System, and maybe an ocassional use at my portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back